A Horror Story: iZotope DDLY free plug-in wiped all my VSTs

JoeHans

Inspired
I just thought I might share this terrible experience of "free gift". I hope no-one else has to go through this nightmare. :/ Check my email to iZotope and their response.

Hi,

I was really glad to see you are giving the DDLY dynamic delay as a free gift. Unfortunately the installer / unistaller is quite a mess.

When installing I immediately noticed the installer is trying to install the plug-in into 32bit file folder on my PC. I made the mistake of installing the plug-in directly into my VST folder. Usually plug-ins create their own space under the folder on which they can live happily their own life but no, the DDLY made a total mess there. So I decided to uninstall and make a clean install before I even try the plugin. HUGE MISTAKE! The uninstaller (which can not be seen under program menu in Windows 7) DELETED my whole VST folder with everything along it! What a nightmare! I've gone through a half a dozen of free data recovery software and none of them can recover that folder.

As an existing customer I'm really disappointed to see how poorly the installer / uninstaller is executed. Ozone 6 has been really great but this is something totally different. I will have to re-install ALL nearly 500 plug-ins and my DAW again.

Please fix the behavior before another customer (or now ex-customer) falls into this pitfall.

Regards,

Johannes

And this is what they replied:
Hi Johannes,
Thank you for contacting us! I am very sorry to hear that this has affected you.
Our Product Developers have located this bug and we are investigating this issue now. We also will be adding Knowledge Base article for this issue once we have received more information from our Development team.
Again, I apologize for this inconvenience and we hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback!
Sincerely,
xxx

iZotope Customer Care

Needless to say I'm pissed off as hell! How can this be happening? It's a total outrage. They are basically beta testing this plug-in as giving it "for free". No warnings anywhere that it's still in the middle of development. I have projects that need to be done on time. Now I'm wasting a whole day clean installing everything. :( A really poor customer service as they couldn't say anything else but "we're sorry". That doesn't comfort me as I need to spent a day doing something I really wouldn't want to be doing right now.

It's a shame that a major company like iZotope handles things this badly.

It's software, bugs happen... They provided a sincere response to an issue you were unfortunate enough to encounter. Don't blame you for being mad, I would be too. Not sure what else you expected within their response... sounds like all of this could have been avoided however if the time was spent to perform and maintain backups in the first place.

I hope you wasn't in the middle of an important project.

It was nice of them to offer for free, but this would leave a bad impression, especially for a new iZotope user.
At least they admitted the issue, many will just ignore you until you give up.

It's software, bugs happen... They provided a sincere response to an issue you were unfortunate enough to encounter. Don't blame you for being mad, I would be too. Not sure what else you expected within their response... sounds like all of this could have been avoided however if the time was spent to perform and maintain backups in the first place.

Bugs happen sure, but I don't think this is acceptable. A major company like iZotope should have installer that meets the requirements of todays standards. But you are kinda right because this story holds a lesson about backups. I have a scheduled backup for all my projects and other important files daily but never thought I should backup also my software. At least where I live it's kind of normal policy that if a company f*ucks things up like this they will compensate it somehow.

The timing is also pretty bad since I have deadlines coming on school related projects. I'd be screwed if there would be any "real" projects going on.

Back
Top Bottom