A Headphone Hunting Review

I have a pair of the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, and they're my go-to for 90% of what I listen to on the AF3 and FM3. They're pretty amazing.
I use the HD 6XX which is basically a color variant of the HD 650. I find that they are very well balanced overall with no huge dips or boosts in frequency response so they work well with modelers.

I also have the Beyer-Dynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm models and those have a very hyped high end and a big dip in the mids. They work just fine if you use a software like Sonarworks Reference 4 to flatten their response but on their own I would not recommend them for guitar. By comparison the HD6XX barely change in tone when run through the Sonarworks system so they are a better plug and play option when such a software is not available.

I use and really like the ATH M50x
I agree. I had the 40x, and sold and purchased the 50x. They sound better to me, but something is different about how they sit on my head...maybe the pivoting that they have? Still love them though. I would say I like them better than the 80 ohm 770s I had before losing them on an airplane (lost a pair of 40x's on a plane as well)!

I use the HD 6XX which is basically a color variant of the HD 650. I find that they are very well balanced overall with no huge dips or boosts in frequency response so they work well with modelers.

I also have the Beyer-Dynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm models and those have a very hyped high end and a big dip in the mids. They work just fine if you use a software like Sonarworks Reference 4 to flatten their response but on their own I would not recommend them for guitar. By comparison the HD6XX barely change in tone when run through the Sonarworks system so they are a better plug and play option when such a software is not available.

I've got both those headphones...the HD 6xx was my main headphone for a couple years and they are pretty flat although I do think they have a very subtle mid boost and they are rolled off in the very lows and highs. That's good for guitar generally and they are non-fatiguing. But I did find that when I got a new house, I changed from a smaller room with carpet and furniture to a big room with lots of windows and hard wood floors, and the echo and sound of the guitar pick/strings bled into the headphones quite a bit. That's what led me to finding closed back headphones.

I also have the Beyer 990 Pro 250 Ohms and completely agree, very hyped high end and a mid scoop. I've bought and sold a number of Beyers and I think I'll force myself to keep them just when I want a reminder of how bright they are. I will say sometimes they are really nice, not for guitar but when you're watching videos and want to be aware of your surroundings (my wife loves to sneak up on me) and they can sound very open and airy.

On the M50X...I actually ordered a set last month but there was a driver imbalance that made everything sound shifted to one side, so I'm going through the returns process. I expect it to be a little more aggressive and punchy with stronger bass and treble and maybe a little bit of an upper mid bump as well.

The AKG K553 is not far off from the Sennheiser 6xx in terms of overall tone but with a closed back headphone. It's pretty flat sounding to me and like the 6xx it's a little softer in the high end. But there's a more extended low end, obviously a lot less bleed due to closed back design, and it's a little bit warmer overall (but still on the neutral side, not dark or boomy). The pads are huge and soft and due to the design it doesn't always clamp or seal great so you may have to adjust a little more than other headphones.

Now the K371 apparently uses the same drivers but in a new design. They look and feel a little cheaper but they aren't as cheap and plastic as you think. There's actually metal pieces that look plastic. They clamp more than the K553 and have oval pads that are deeper and a little stiffer and that creates a stronger seal on your ears. The first day I wore them I got a headache but after that it was much better when they loosened up. Anyways the stronger seal and deeper pads give it a little more deep bass although I still consider them flat (they are not bass boosted). And they have a little more treble I think due to having less fabric covering the drivers (I can see them through the pads on the 371 but not on the 553).

So overall the 371 sounds tighter and clearer than the 553's with less fiddling, although with a little cheaper look and feel. But they are half the price right now. The mids are pretty similar but there's a little cleaner and tighter bass and a little more high end, plus better imaging to me. The only real issue I have is that there sounds like a bit of a boost in the presence region (maybe 2-3k) by a couple dB's which makes a tiny bit nasally sound or mid forward, but it's not bad and certainly better than a mid scoop for guitar.

I haven't heard the 361 but I handled it side by side with the 371 and it feels a lot cheaper with more plastic. I'd avoid it. You're only saving $20. But from what I've heard the 371's live up to the hype about being good inexpensive fairly flat studio headphones. We'll see if the design holds up as long as the M50 and Beyer models. But they do have replaceable cables which is nice as well.

The HD280 was my first headphone. Super disappointing. I learned I hated closed headphones from it, and they are dull to listen to. I think I’m just going to give my pair away on CL.

I’m considering the HD600, 650, and 6xx. Anyone have thoughts on those for practice/mixing? I’m inclined to go with the 600 based on research but it is a bit more than the 6xx.

I have the HD600s and love them. I was using them to supplement mixing, previously. Note, mine are the older made in Ireland ones, and I have no idea if the new ones are identical. If they are, my research also pointed me to the 600s over the 650s for reasons of flatness. YMMV.

Another +1 for the official HD600s. I bought them in January and have no regrets. The only comparison I was able to make was with the $50 Presonus headphones the HD600s replaced. A night and day difference, which is to be expected. Next on my agenda is to replace my Eris E5 monitors with a pair of Adam A5X monitors...

Back
Top Bottom