A guy is sayin on a forum that.....

Brick_top

Power User
... The axe only allows 8 midi cc per patch.

He says that it is very limited in this regard.

Is this true?

There are 8 external controllers that you can attach to any modifiable function....you can have any number of CC's limited only by your controller. If you had a large enough pedal board you could control every controllable function in the axe or maybe 1-128 since I think that is all the numbers that are available.

The guy is now asking if with an expression pedal you can turn on/off an effect based on the position of the pedal.

Hope I was clear enough

It isn't autoengage...I think what he is asking if the pedal is at say 0-15% then the delay is active from 15-30% chorus is on 30-45% xx is on and so on.

I don't know if you can do that, but my guess is yes.

You can go from zero to 100% on all controllable parameters or anything in between, so this is "on-off" for all intents and purposes. And some effects can go from 0-15% while others go from 20-30%, at the same time on the same controller.

You can also autoengage effects so that the effect is "off" until you move the pedal a bit, and you can still control the parameter with the same controller, so that's a very reall "on-off". For example, I have my wah set to autoengage on cc1, and I also use cc1 to control the wah. I use reverse-threaded pedals so "down" is off. When I move the pedal about 1cm the wah comes on, and I control the wah as normal. When I toe-down all the way it goes off. (I kind of live in the honk zone with my wah so I never turn it off by accident). I also have some patches where a clean sound gets dirty via an OD pedal, so my cc autoengages (turns on) the distortion in the first centimeter of play, then increases gain, drive, and some assorted other things as the pedal sweeps.

Third method: you can plug interrupt or latch switches into two switch jacks in the back of the axe, or assign such switches to any available pedal jack on your midi controller. I use one for tap tempo and one to bring certain effects in and out (usually harmonizer). Again, true "on-off" if you use the switches that way.

Most importantly, you can stack combinations of these in one controller. You don't need different controller channels to control different parameters if these parameters change together. So you can assign cc1 to mess with gain, volume, delay parameters, and many other effects all at the same time. The only time you need to use separate controller channels is if you want to be able to use a different pedal to control one parameter totally independently of another. I dedicate cc1 to wah, which is present on every patch, for example. But cc2 might do nine things at once.

I tend to use two switches and two controllers, but I control lots of parameters with a single controller. Example: chunky dry rhythm patch becomes screaming lead patch via cc: gain/drive, master volume, delay level, delay feedback, reverb level all change together, and I might fade in some flange or something to boot. So I'm doing 5-6 things at once with one controller. I have some odd crystals patches where I do even more at once. You can assign all kinds of parameters per controller. Your friend might be coming from a perspective of certain other types of gear where you can only assign a controller to do one thing.

So ultimately, you have 8 active continuous controllers and two switches to choose from at any one time, which is a pretty full pedal board! But you can control an unlimited number of individual parameters at one time in each patch by stacking parameters onto one controller. There are deeper things you can do also, by assigning certain midi commands to do certain things. Make sense?

That's exactly it gittarzann!

Jojo, I appreciate the effort to write all that. But I don't know if you answered my question or not

Brick_top said:

Jojo, I appreciate the effort to write all that. But I don't know if you answered my question or not

You can do 2 easily. Turn one effect on <50%, one off >50%

javajunkie said:
Brick_top said:

Do you know any way you can do more than 2?

Brick_top said:
javajunkie said:
[quote="Brick_top":13loohm1]That's exactly it gittarzann!

Do you know any way you can do more than 2?[/quote:13loohm1]

Not easily that I can think of. It seems a very precarious way to turn on/off effects to me. More than 2 could be hard to control. There are way easier ways to do that w/o an expression pedal (w/ IAs) IMO.

Yon turn on/off tons of effects at the same time but easily w/ an expression pedal only above 50% and below it for trigger points.

For example you could have delay and reverb switch on >50% and have it switch off chorus and drive when it is >50% as well.

javajunkie said:
Not easily that I can think of. It seems a very precarious way to turn on/off effects to me. More than 2 could be hard to control. There are way easier ways to do that w/o an expression pedal (w/ IAs) IMO.

Yon turn on/off tons of effects at the same time but easily w/ an expression pedal only above 50% and below it for trigger points.

For example you could have delay and reverb switch on >50% and have it switch off chorus and drive when it is >50% as well.

Yeah I know its kind of weird wanting to do that. He says he does it on a Roland GP100. I'll tell the guy.

Sorry for bodering, and thanks for yours and everybodys time

Brick_top said:
javajunkie said:
[quote="Brick_top":e3mcq8hf]That's exactly it gittarzann!

Do you know any way you can do more than 2?[/quote:e3mcq8hf]

I am not sure as I don't own one but I thought the LiquidFoot MIDI Controller would allow you to create "zones" in an expression pedal "sweep" that could trigger different CCs. Like I said I don't own one but I've loosely followed its progression and I thought that I read that.

You can tweak it a little more by messing with the slope of the sweep graph, so you don't get to "50%" until the pedal is most of the way up or down..... you can do odd things with slope. You can also create the perception of something fading in at a certain point of the sweep by virtue of the parameter values you choose. But in terms of actually assigning totally different controllers to different ranges of sweep, you can't do that within the axe so far as I can tell. You an make it happen, but you can't define it that way. There might be a midi controller out there with pedal jacks that somehow creates that for you but I'd echo the sentiment above, I just don't know how useful that is once you define more than two or three zones; you're talking well under an inch of sweep per zone. Fun topic!

mworkman said:
Brick_top said:
javajunkie said:

Do you know any way you can do more than 2?

I am not sure as I don't own one but I thought the LiquidFoot MIDI Controller would allow you to create "zones" in an expression pedal "sweep" that could trigger different CCs. Like I said I don't own one but I've loosely followed its progression and I thought that I read that.

I think it got removed.

The Gordius Little Giant allows virtual "heel down" and "toe down" patches (IA or Program Changes).

It wouldn't be very difficult to set up modifier values so the pedal can cycle through more than 2 effects. Using 3 for example, you'd set the start value for block A, mid value for block B and end value for block C all pretty high while the other values are lower. Further adjustment will change where the curve crosses the halfway point. For 4 or more zones a different approach using volume or filter blocks to mute parallel signals would give more control over what range each block is active for.

Bakerman said:
It wouldn't be very difficult to set up modifier values so the pedal can cycle through more than 2 effects. Using 3 for example, you'd set the start value for block A, mid value for block B and end value for block C all pretty high while the other values are lower. Further adjustment will change where the curve crosses the halfway point. For 4 or more zones a different approach using volume or filter blocks to mute parallel signals would give more control over what range each block is active for.

Yeah, I thought about that but that is not what I would consider not easy (for what the OP was talking about). Doable, yes. Practical, debatable. It just seems there are much simpler ways of approaching the task (other than using expression pedal zones as IA switches).

Now morphing from one effect to others is entirely different. Using an expression pedal for that can be worth the effort IMO.

javajunkie said:
Brick_top said:

Couldn't you just assign all the effects the same CC &
FX1 = 0-20
FX2 = 21-40
etc etc

You know, this same effect method is on those beginner Line 6 amps (see the 2nd/3rd knobs from the right). I ended up getting one of these in a package deal for a guitar. I've gotta sell it soon.

Back
Top Bottom