A good affordable, modern guitar for some fun!

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
So I have mostly vintage guitars because they lend themselves perfectly to the type of sound I record/play live with. But I miss a good metal chunker that I can drop to C and do some of the Leon Todd/Inflames type of fun when I am in the mood for it. For this, my Gibson LP (59 reissue) just doesn't cut it, it gets a bit flubby in the bottom end so doesn't tick the satisfied box for modern tones, but it is perfect for vintage blues stuff.

I don't want to spend a fortune, so have been looking at maybe one of the PRS Ltd Edition Custom 24 Sand-blasted guitars which sell for about £800. But I'm not very experienced with PRS, so I don't know how this would stack up to their more expensive models tone/feel wise.

So basically, what do you guys suggest please? I'm happy to go with a HH config, or even HSS would be fine. And I don't want to hit the £2k mark, maybe keep it below £1k if I can.

What better place to ask than here where you find most guitar experts!

EDIT: Other brands are fine, I just suggested the PRS as a starting point

Last edited:
I have been tempted to try Solar guitars but never went that route because I already own other higher end guitars which cover exactly the same spot. Specs and looks-wise they seem to be a great bang for the buck and they are no doubt focused on metal. Maybe someone else who owns one can step in
and provide you with further insight, but in that price tag I would at least consider them an option.

For cheap ass bang for your buck at a decent quality Thoman's home brand Harley Benton can't be beaten. They're going to release their Explorer clones again, get them while you can while saving plenty of bucks to treat the missus to a nice dinner and a designer pair of shoes so she won't notice that new guitar you're trying to pretend was always there.

The Charvel MIM are all in your price range. I'm on a EVH guitar buzz atm and that's similar price range

I think a Charvel is a good choice. Maybe their Pro-Mod So-Cal, San Dimas or DK24 models. Another good option are the Ibanez AZ242 models.

Wow, all such good suggestions here! Thanks guys! Although I thought this would make it easier for me to decide on something but I'm finding myself wanting each one now!

For cheap ass bang for your buck at a decent quality Thoman's home brand Harley Benton can't be beaten. They're going to release their Explorer clones again, get them while you can while saving plenty of bucks to treat the missus to a nice dinner and a designer pair of shoes so she won't notice that new guitar you're trying to pretend was always there.

Damn that is a cheap guitar, but the reviews are really positive for it (they compare it to an £800 guitar)! I was never going to drop to that low a price point but to be honest this one has my attention now. I've emailed Thoman to enquire about when they will be available again, thanks for the tip!

Other than that, I seriously love the Charvels and Solar, and was also looking at the Holcomb PRS too so I think the biggest challenge I am going to have is making up my mind!

I have two Schecters: Nick Johnston USA Custom Shop and Solo II Custom. The Nick Johnston surpasses my Fender American Deluxe Strat, and the Solo II Custom has nothing to envy from the most expensive Les Paul

I find Ibanez to be incredibly consistent (especially across the Prestige line). They've been around forever and if you don't mind some wear they can be had for fairly cheap. You've also got the opportunity for plenty configurations (hard tail, string thru, classic Trem, double locking Trem, different body shapes, different pickup configurations). The RG500 / 1550 / 2550 line up are meat and potatoes metal machines with a focus on playability, for example. The S-series remind me very much of Ernie Ball Luke models with more metal styling.

I'd go for a Schecter or an Ibanez occasion. 2nd hand Schecters can be bought at half price, are perfectly manfactured and sound incredible. Ibanez can be higher priced in comparison. Except one or two models I personally prefer the look of the Schecters, less "planky".

PRS Holcomb. Comes tuned to drop C from the factory. Well under your price point. Excellent quality.

+1000 on this. Also a +1 on the ESP LTD’s and Schecter’s. These are all great intermediate level guitars that play and sound great.

+1000 on this. Also a +1 on the ESP LTD’s and Schecter’s. These are all great intermediate level guitars that play and sound great.

They can be called "intermediate" for their price, but not because they are not "professional level". Not having a crazy price doesn't mean that they are not top level in terms of construction, quality, tone, features, playability, duration, etc.

Another vote for Schecter. I bought my first one ever this year, a custom shop, but every import of theirs I've played has been phenomenal. I'm also a big fan of Jackson, but unless it's a 90s MIJ or a MIA I'm not a fan. Ibanez are great as well, but for me I never bonded with the necks outside of the original Wizard 1.
Schecter pickups are killer as well, they sound awesome, but the clear bobbins they offer are pretty sick looking.

PRS Holcomb. Comes tuned to drop C from the factory. Well under your price point. Excellent quality.

I've never looked closely at that guitar, but it looks killer for drop tunings. It comes with quality Duncan pickups already so no need to swap, and a little longer scale length.

Back
Top Bottom