Closed A future way to save CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't we make better use of our DSP capability, If we could disable the extra channels that each block has and that we are not going to use in the preset?

It is my understanding that every time we place a block in the layout is like we were placing four blocks, because each block has 4 channels.
so, it automatically saves enough space to be able to use each one of the 4 channels. if that make sense.

I own the Axe FX III but many of my presets hits the CPU's red zone. it would be nice to be able to ration the CPU better.

The 4 channels are like 4 presets. Each one is a saved state for the block that gets restored when you select a channel. Channels don't consume any cpu.
I could be wrong but, at my understanding the 4 channels of each block are preloaded to be able to manage the seamless switching between scenes. I guess thats because it's four channels and not 8 (1 per scene)

No, not at all. If that was true, you'd hardly be able to load any blocks at all into an AxeFX :). Switching channels is not seamless because they are like loading a mini-preset just for the block. It's probably an unfortunate choice of terminology since on a physical amp, each channel has dedicated circuitry. On the AxeFX, the channels all share the same processing resources.

No, not at all. If that was true, you'd hardly be able to load any blocks at all into an AxeFX :). Switching channels is not seamless because they are like loading a mini-preset just for the block. It's probably an unfortunate choice of terminology since on a physical amp, each channel has dedicated circuitry. On the AxeFX, the channels all share the same processing resources.
for instance..
on scene 1: You have Amp Block 1 channel A and on scene 2: You choose Amp Block 1 channel B when you switch between scenes, there is no lag..

You have hundreds of presets available, but you're not using all of them at once. You're only using one at a time. Likewise, you have four channels available, but you're only using one at a time.

for instance..
on scene 1: You have Amp Block 1 channel A and on scene 2: You choose Amp Block 1 channel B when you switch between scenes, there is no lag..
There is lag, it's just very short. In fact, for amps in particular there is still an intentional momentary gap in sound as it mutes the amp to load the new settings to silence any popping/etc the model creates as it rebuilds itself.

Unused channels consume RAM but not CPU. This all has come up before with X/Y settings on the II. Channels are an extension of that concept.

On a related note, you can save CPU for effects that are turned off in a particular scene by changing the channel to a lower CPU version of that effect. For example, if a scene has the reverb turned off and channel A is a high CPU reverb, you can switch it to channel B and set it to a low CPU reverb (spring).

Yeah if you change channels on bypassed blocks to lower CPU models it can help. Bypassed blocks take up just as much CPU as active ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom