Do We Need A Forum For All Fractal Modelers?

As far as how would someone unfamiliar with other models know to use the All Models sub-forum, I assume they would continue to choose the forum for their model.
Here's the problem… they don't choose, they just post and then much later figure out that there are forums and sub-forums.

And, worse, if we point out that there are categories and they should post in the right place, then other people complain that we're acting like moderators, we're not letting them speak, etc., because… because… we're being MEAN! So, nothing improves. It takes a committed community to make this idea work, and we don't have that. I can refer to many such exchanges on this system.

The Stack Exchange sites have a system in place where, as people learn the system, they gain more "reputation", and, as they do that, they gain more responsibility toward helping maintain the site. Part of that is educating others on how to use the site, editing and cleaning up posts, voting posts for deletion, identifying posts that need a moderator's attention, etc. It works reasonably well, but it's still chaos and there's a constant incoming barrage of off-topic posts that are slowly burying the main sites. Again, it's because people don't care to "follow the rules", or "look before they leap" or whatever metaphor you want to use, they don't figure out where their post should go, they just let fly.

So, if this suggestion is to happen, it needs some careful consideration about how it's to remain curated, and the community MUST agree to it, otherwise entropy will set in and the end result will be the same situation, second verse.

Last edited:
Let me expand on this a little. Cross-posting receives a lot of negativity because… it’s annoying? It strikes a nerve when someone sees a duplicate post? In reality, it’s probably the most elegant solution to this problem.

For example, let’s say you have a question that applies to both the FM3 and a DAW. Post the thread in both the FM3 Discussion and DAWs and Recording Forums. Someone will inevitably complain with a snarky response, but in reality, it’s just an extra thread. How much space on the server does an extra thread occupy? Unless someone is physically watching for a duplicate thread, what is the problem?

Cross-post responsibly and ignore the people who complain about it. Problem solved.
Alternatively to cross-posting which eventually consumes all available server space, put everything in a single basket with a robust tagging system. It works reasonably well and avoids cross-posts, where one thread catches the useful comments and the other withers.

An alternate would be a forum that uses aliases under the covers to allow cross-posts but they're actually just one thread that can appear in multiple sub-forums. Then a post applies to all the associated threads. I haven't seen that in the wild.

I've been working with various Stack Exchange sites for years, and have respect for the forethought that went into it, along with how they've slowly molded it to be more user-managed. Their model would work extremely well for this forum, however it'd be a major paradigm shift in how people interact with it, and there'd be major howling from those who can't handle change or don't want to be told how things are run.

Working cooperatively is the key, and some people just don't want to play nice with the other kids.

It's a tricky question - similar to a folder vs. tags discussion. I really pay attention to which forum I'm in only when I have to select it to create a new post - I self-filter when reading. I always use the "New Posts" link which surfaces everything new across all forums since I'm interested in most topics posted here. Many posts can apply to multiple forums (fora?), so I'd miss a lot and it would take a lot of time if I went forum-by-forum. I can dive into a specific forum if I need to, but rarely have the need. Things like the legacy forums don't get too much traffic so I'm not weeding through a lot of off-topic posts.

It's a tricky question - similar to a folder vs. tags discussion. I really pay attention to which forum I'm in only when I have to select it to create a new post - I self-filter when reading. I always use the "New Posts" link which surfaces everything new across all forums since I'm interested in most topics posted here. Many posts can apply to multiple forums (fora?), so I'd miss a lot and it would take a lot of time if I went forum-by-forum. I can dive into a specific forum if I need to, but rarely have the need. Things like the legacy forums don't get too much traffic so I'm not weeding through a lot of off-topic posts.
Good explanation. That is how I keep up with things myself. I use the New Posts filter to see new items across all forums.

I guess what I was seeking thoughts and opinions on is how do I get input from users across all three model forums when I post a question in a particular forum that I would value input on from users in all 3 product forums. Today we just have to hope that others are also using the New Posts filter so they will see it. And thats ok. I was just testing the waters to see if the collective brain trust thought it was a concern that might merit a change, and if so, how would we accomplish it. Appreciate everyones input. 👏👏👏

I always use the "New Posts" link
I use the New Posts filter
I do the same, perhaps that's where the emphasis should be, at least as far as viewing/finding interesting posts.

Encouraging people to organize the new, incoming, posts is a whole different issue because they post before anyone even knows they exist.

I keep harping on the Stack Exchange sites, but they do a lot of things well. One of those is an introductory tour. If you want to be able to take advantage of commenting, the tour will give the person enough points to use them, otherwise they can ask questions, which they almost invariably do wrong.

So, this forum could probably have a redirection after someone signs up that takes them through a tour, explains the TOS, and has them click an "I understand" button that would enable their ability to post. And part of that tour would be to introduce the sub-forums, tagging of threads (which is a thing already and would help people find things), where to send beer and chinese food for those who create outstanding answers, etc.

Let me expand on this a little. Cross-posting receives a lot of negativity because… it’s annoying? It strikes a nerve when someone sees a duplicate post? In reality, it’s probably the most elegant solution to this problem.

For example, let’s say you have a question that applies to both the FM3 and a DAW. Post the thread in both the FM3 Discussion and DAWs and Recording Forums. Someone will inevitably complain with a snarky response, but in reality, it’s just an extra thread. How much space on the server does an extra thread occupy? Unless someone is physically watching for a duplicate thread, what is the problem?

Cross-post responsibly and ignore the people who complain about it. Problem solved.
Cross-posting creates multiple threads, each of which may get different replies.

That tends to lead to multiple responses that some may or may not see because they're only reading in one particular sub-forum.

And if a good answer or comment is in one of those threads and not the others, it isn't very useful.

I know @iaresee was able to create a thread that spans multiple sub-forums because he did so for a block-sharing thread.

If "regular" users had that option it would solve this, I think... Not sure that's really feasible or not.

So, how should it be organized in terms of categories and subcategories?

Also, how would someone, for example, who does not own an FM3 or FM9 know that their Axe-Fx III question is universally relevant?

I would organize the forum focusing the categories to the user needings instead the user modelers.

The new index could be something similar to this:

News and Announcements
Read me​
News​
Tech Notes​
Help me!...
...because I am a new owner of a FAS product and I need guide​
...because I want to buy a FAS product and I need information​
...because I am an experienced owner and I need a solution​
Send to Fractal...
Send a wish of whatever related to AxeFX, FM9 or FM3​
Send a wish of whatever related to Axe-Edit, FM9-Edit or FM-3 Edit​
Send a wish of whatever related to FC-12, FC-6, Expression Pedals, External Pedals, External gear...​
Send a bug found in AxeFX, FM9 or FM3​
Send a bug found in Axe-Edit, FM9-Edit or FM-3 Edit​
General Topics
Discussion​
The Lounge​
Recordings by forumites with Fractal products​
Vendors​
Guitars​
Amps and Cabs​
Other MIDI Controllers​
User Cabs and IR's​
Rigs and Routing​
Bass & Other Instruments​
DAWS and recording​
Babel's corner & Translations​

Preset Exchange
AXE-FX III​
FM9​
FM3​

Fractal Software
Classifieds
Legacy Products

-----------------------

In other words:

| News and Announcements | Fractal Software | Classifieds | Legacy Products |
no change in 4 categories​
| Help me | Send to Fractal | Preset Exchange |
3 new categories​

| Axe-FX III | FM9 | FM3 | FC-Controllers | Off-Topic |
5 categories removed​

| General Topics |
5 subcategories moved to this category: Discussion - Recordings - The Lounge - Babel's corner & Translations

| Reviews |
1 subcategory removed from everywhere, moving all the threads to General Topics/Discussion

I can certainly appreciate the thought of this wish, but do we really “need” it? The reason I say this is because I have always looked at the Axe Iii section as the main “Fractal Modeling” section. It does seem like everybody reads it no matter which product they own, and only go to their specific section if they have something specific about that product. Am I way off here, or does that seem about right?

I can certainly appreciate the thought of this wish, but do we really “need” it? The reason I say this is because I have always looked at the Axe Iii section as the main “Fractal Modeling” section. It does seem like everybody reads it no matter which product they own, and only go to their specific section if they have something specific about that product. Am I way off here, or does that seem about right?
I think people who started with Axe Fx probably do... I'm not sure about others.

I'm personally just use "What's New" and read/respond to what interests me.

So, how should it be organized in terms of categories and subcategories?
I've seen this issue with other forums and, IMHO, the answer lies in letting go of the idea that things are organized into categories and sub-categories. In other words, give up on the notion of hierarchical organization and embrace tagging.

Maybe have a top level forum for FAS amp modelers, but within that, rely on tags like Axe-FX III, FM3, FM9, wish, bug, effects, amp models, i/o, preset sharing, etc. If you have a bug report about an FAS amp modeler that you think is specific to an FM3, tag it with "FM3" and "bug". If you think it might apply to all FAS modelers, leave out the FM3 tag. If it's a wish that applies to both the FM3 and the FM9, but not the Axe-FX, tag it with "wish" and with both FM3 and FM9. If it's a question about a delay effect, but isn't specific to any FAS modeler, tag it with "effect". There's never a need to cross-post with a system like this since a single post can address multiple audiences through the use of tags.

When you browse the forum, you set up your default search tags for your areas of interest. Or, the way it usually works out is: you exclude tags for areas you're not interested in.

It's not perfect, it relies on people using tags effectively, but there is no perfect solution. In my experience, however, I believe this tag-based system (something like Discourse) tends to work better for the issue this thread is about.

The problem is the answer goes in one thread and not the other, so the thread without the answer keeps spinning around leading to misinformation and making the gear seem hard to use.

I’ve had several ideas over the years and might implement some things on my own soon.

I would like to see the wishlist forums bundled into one but with flairs/tags to determine if a wish is related to a particular device. Most apply to all of them.

It's warranted to have separate forums for the different devices as each has their unique aspects.

Back
Top Bottom