A (former) plugin user tries an Ultra

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
Thought an early review from a guy coming from the plugin world could be interesting to some so here it is...

I have only logged a bit of time checking out my new Ultra, but wow. After checking out the forum for a while, I knew the Axe-Fx was going to be good, but was a bit skeptical of the over-hype that goes on around here and maybe people were just a bit too carried away with their investment. Or perhaps Axe-Fx users were covered in fairy dust when unpacking their hardware and got sent to the land of golden tone in their heads. But after checking it out and hearing the sounds you can pull out of it, that's not the case.

I spent the last few months putting together a lightweight laptop-based rig with plugins (GR4, Amplitube 3, TH2: all great pieces of software) and it was sounding good - very good even, but I just couldn't find the clarity and response that I was hoping for. So I thought, let me check out the Axe, even if I have to sell all my other gear to get it.

Running through the presets of the Axe-Fx, I was blown away with both the quality of the sounds and the wide range of tones that it does well from cleans to crunch to distortions, to the effects, harmonizer, synths, the fast switching, deep tweakability, spillover delays, etc, etc. I haven't even tweaked anything or gone deeper with external IRs yet, so I have a lot more to discover. And things like the pitch-based effects just can't be pulled off in software the way the Axe can do it via hardware. I didn't fully realize what the power of a dedicated hardware platform could open up tone and response-wise, along with the Axe-Fx's seemingly great algorithms.

The cleans have that chime that I just wasn't able to find via a plugin and the distortions have such harmonics and cream that sound so good vs. the harshness that was too prevalent in the plugins. I figured a modern computer with plugins could process anything that a rack processor could (if not better), but after checking out what the Axe can do, there's a definite advantage to hardware accessing that sound immediately at the input and not have to go through a seperate audio interface and audio driver first - much better tracking, harmonization, etc.

Good sounds and recordings via plugins are attainable with some finesse, but things just seem so much easier with the Axe and it has the little extra something that makes the sounds go down smooth. Best of all, it's just fun to play through it. I feel that with plugins, you get into a "match the famous tone" mentality, but with the Axe it's a "create your own tone" exercise because there is such a great toolkit at your disposal. (Not to say that many of the presets on the Axe don't nail many famous tones quite nicely).

So far I'm very impressed and can't wait to convert my patches from plugins to the Ultra. I guess the fairy dust landed on me as well.

I had a similar experience. Just before I bought the Axe, I had a last-ditch effort with GR3, Amplitube, and Revalver. My hope was to ditch my 12-space Triaxis rack in favor of using the same computer on which my band ran a sequencer. The software failed miserably. I ordered the Axe expecting it to fall short of the extravagant claims from users. After all, people also gush over the software products, Line 6, Roland, and all of the other products I already dismissed. After 5 minutes with the Axe, I realized what you just mentioned; that the technology I had been waiting for had finally arrived.

CodePoet, your name rings a bell from your posts on the NI GtrRig forum. Welcome to the "dark side" LOL. :evil

Actually, the Fractal Forum is a much happier place IMO, and it's because the products are extremely well-designed and engineered, and even more important - they sound absolutely fantastic! Product support is the BEST. This is a rare combination these days, IMO. That's why so many users (myself included) are downright GIDDY about the Fractal products. :D It is also rare to see so many users (and some very PICKY ones at that) so happy with their purchase that they feel compelled to express their gratefulness (well beyond just satisfaction) publicly on this forum. (while I'm at it, a big thank you shout out to Cliff and the Fractal Team!)

Enjoy! Exploring the possibilities in the Ultra never gets old.

Congratulations! - and thanks for the review. :)

I'm a new Axe-FX user as well. I have some modeling software (Amplitube, Guitar Rig) but it was purchased for late night headphone jamming when the family is asleep. Some attempts were made to record direct with these plug-ins but the results were less than ideal. They were handy for scratch tracking though.

I've been waiting for a suitable replacement for tube amps for ~15 years - primarily for consistency and simplicity, but also because tube production will eventually die off (IMO of course - I'm not as optimistic about the future of vacuum tube production as others I've discussed the subject with). I've been watching the development of the Axe-FX from the sidelines now for about 4 years with great interest. A variety of factors kept me from jumping in early but I've never lost interest. The audio samples started off very impressive and have only improved as new firmware revisions were released. Two weeks ago I decided not to wait any longer and ordered an Axe-FX. I've had it now for a little more than a week and I'm certain now that it is capable of replacing my amps. I'm in no rush to sell anything though. Once I have my Axe-FX/FRFR rig dialed in I can give it more thought. For now I don't see me flipping the power switch on an amp any time soon.

The Axe-FX Ultra is an amazing piece of kit!

Back
Top Bottom