Wish A few wishes about Flanger and Chorus

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
These days I'm trying to refine my sim of the Electric Mistress flanger, but no matter what settings I chose I could never achieve that lush sound, so I opened up the pedal, desoldered the mixing resistors at the output and measured the frequency response of both dry and wet signals.

What I found is that a big part of that lush tone is created by the filtering of both signals which can't be recreated within the flanger block on the axe fx (I'll eventually post the graphs as I get home if anyone is interested).
For example, from the graphs it looks like the wet signal is hi-passed at ~320Hz and low-passed around 3.5KHz, the problem is that the slope of these filters is very smooth (I think it is 6dB/oct) while the filters in the flanger block have a 12dB/oct slope.

Another problem is that the dry signal has a different frequency response, similar low-cut but much higher hi-cut frequency.

So my wishes are these:

1. Adjustable slope for the low and high cut filters in Flanger and Chorus blocks (but it could be useful on pretty much any effect)

2. Dedicated low and high cuts for the dry signal in flanger and chorus blocks (currently the filters only affects the wet signal)

3. A way to make custom LFO waveforms, something along the lines of the modifier window

4. Input select parameter on flanger and chorus blocks
(this has nothing to do with my preface but since it's related to those blocks I mentioned it anyway)

I also wonder where the low and high cut filters are located in the virtual circuit of the flanger block, but probably only @FractalAudio can answer this.
Are they at the input/output of the block or are they placed before the feedback path (just like in the delay block)?
I think most of the mistress filtering on the wet signal happens at the output of the BBD chip, just before the signal is split between the output path and the feedback path.

I used to have a Mooer ElecLady in the loop for years, but, since like 6 months ago I found I could duplicate all the tones to where I couldn’t tell them apart in an a/b test; as such sold it off as I felt the axe could achieve an authentic EM flanger sound

i don’t think we need any specific modeling because the existing block has the tools to achieve neat any flanger sound with a little tweaking.

granted the Mooer isn’t an exact EM but sounds really close and if you can’t tell a near clone from the axe then the axe can do a pretty decent EM, right?

You already have #3: just assign the Sequencer to Delay Time in the Flanger. Use Attack and Release times to smooth the custom LFO shape.

I used to have a Mooer ElecLady in the loop for years, but, since like 6 months ago I found I could duplicate all the tones to where I couldn’t tell them apart in an a/b test; as such sold it off as I felt the axe could achieve an authentic EM flanger sound

i don’t think we need any specific modeling because the existing block has the tools to achieve neat any flanger sound with a little tweaking.

granted the Mooer isn’t an exact EM but sounds really close and if you can’t tell a near clone from the axe then the axe can do a pretty decent EM, right?

I don’t feel like I can get any flanger. I have been trying to get the MXR/EVH and don’t feel like I can capture it.

PS: now that I think about it I could just use an LFO and make a custom curve straight in the modifier window

I don’t feel like I can get any flanger. I have been trying to get the MXR/EVH and don’t feel like I can capture it.

there are a few older threads for ATBL and unchained which have some nicely dialed in flanger tones, really gets that classic jet sweep of the MXR117 style flanger. I forget who did them but they have some spot on cover tones

I feel like everything I have heard on this forum or exchange sounds ok but is missing something. The Phase is a little closer I think but I still feel like it is missing something.
Yeah, I can't nail it. Maybe there is some studio trickery happening

Back
Top Bottom