Wish A few wishes about Delays

For anyone interested, I created this presets with what I consider realistic wow and flutter for a worned out tape echo, or at least something along the lines of strymon tape sims as I've never owned a real tape echo.

Let me know what ya think!

PS: a quick sample of me noodling around with it

That sounds absolutely killer. I had a real RE-201 for a while, and that really reminds me of the grit and feedback of that old delay. I miss that chunk of hardware. It was a lot of fun and strangely satisfying to sit there and watch that giant loop of tape cycle through the top of that thing. Thanks for sharing the preset!

For anyone interested, I created this presets with what I consider realistic wow and flutter for a worned out tape echo, or at least something along the lines of strymon tape sims as I've never owned a real tape echo.
The real tape echos I played had way less modulation. The best way I can describe it is something that embrace an enhance your sound. If you set the level to almost zero fx then bypass it, you miss something in your sound. The nearest modulation in the Fractal seems to be trapezoidal, to my ears.

I remember a discussion with Cliff in the old forum even before Ultra time... I asked for a second level controller, a controller of the controller. He wrote something like I don't understand why you need it... only thinking about how to do this make my head hurts! :sweatsmile:

I asked for a second level controller, a controller of the controller.

We have already that. For example, you can attach a parameter of an LFO (that's been assigned to an effect parameter) to another LFO or a manual controller. That's just one example.

The real tape echos I played had way less modulation. The best way I can describe it is something that embrace an enhance your sound. If you set the level to almost zero fx then bypass it, you miss something in your sound. The nearest modulation in the Fractal seems to be trapezoidal, to my ears.
Yeah, I accentuated the modulation on purpose just to make evident what's happening, if I had to use it to play songs I'd certainly reduce it.
And as I said it is based more on what I remember from (and samples of) the strymon timeline dtape than on real tape echoes.

Btw, for those trying my preset, be sure to check out what's going on in the modulation page of the delay block ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I accentuated the modulation on purpose just to make evident what's happening, if I had to use it to play songs I'd certainly reduce it.
And as I said it is based more on what I remember from (and samples of) the strymon timeline dtape than on real tape echoes.

Btw, for those trying my preset, be sure to check out what's going on in the modulation page of the delay block ;)
I did actually. That's some spicy programming right there ;)

It's there, but in two parts. The magical bit of the SDD-3000 was its preamp, and that's available to you in the drive block: the SDD model in the drive block is based on the preamp of the SDD-3000. The rest of the SDD-3000's delay topology is a pretty normal digital delay. So you run a parallel line that's just DRV > DLY you can craft an SDD-3000 of your own.
Thanks for the suggestion @iaresee! I'm trying to get a good modulated delay like The Edge uses. I've been using the 2290 Delay block to mimic the SDD-3000 modulation. I'll have to try playing around with the drive block to add the warmth that made the SDD-3000 such an iconic delay for The Edge in the 80's, (use that delay into a Vox AC30 and it's literally the sound of the Unforgettable Fire album).

Next I want to try to nail the Chimey Vox AC30 sound The Edge has as well. Started using the AC20 Amp Block. Is that the right one to use to emulate a Vox AC30?

Let me know what ya think!

PS: a quick sample of me noodling around with it

The cab is empty for me. What were you using?

Also try "Dirty Tape Echo" and "Echo Deva 3" in Bank C of the factory presets.

M@ posted a few of his own delay presets on the forum a few years ago. They didn't get much attention then, but they were some beauties among them. Here are a few converted for the III.

The CAB links to user cabs, so pick a substitute. Also, these were exported using the latest (not yet released) firmware, so you may have to wait for the release of v12.
I loaded these into my III using the latest beta. On the 8 tape delays one, if I try to change the channels of the delay, the unit freezes. Does this happen to you too?

Back
Top Bottom