Wish A few wishes about Delays

Other factors could be pretty random on their own though (I think about friction or even fluctuations in the voltage moving the motor)
Unlikely those would fluctuate enough to be something you could hear. Most of this stuff is highly cyclical in nature.

Can someone measure the Volante’s wow and flutter? This link on an Echoplex claim a .3% spec.

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Maestro/ECHOPLEX_OWNER-SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

I’m curious what the range of human hearing is and whether only poorly maintained units exhibited audible wow and flutter. My Denon tape decks in the 80’s were below .1% I thought. My friend’s reel to reel probably .04% like the youtube video. I couldn’t hear any issues when I was 17 years old on turntable or tape deck.

It's weird. Manufacturers spent a lot of effort trying to reduce these artifacts and now where trying to add them back.
Because they were trying to recreate faithfully a sound. But when we use these device to create a sound (recording and mixing a new song...) they are no more unwanted effects (some of them was very interesting an musical... the wow and flutter can be consider as "vibrato").

Well, I guess the same could be true for guitar tube amps, they're full of "defects" from a sound reproduction point of view, yet we guitar players can't live without them.

Except for when we ditched the “inferior” technology for solid state amps, digital delays, digital recording and compact discs et al., only to then find the next big thing was vinyl records, magnetic tape delays and recordings and such lol. Just the nature of consumerism I suppose....

I mean heck, there is a newer bar down the street from me that is full of old 8 bit video games, and another one that has a bunch of 80s board games....

Except for when we ditched the “inferior” technology for solid state amps, digital delays, digital recording and compact discs et al., only to then find the next big thing was vinyl records, magnetic tape delays and recordings and such lol. Just the nature of consumerism I suppose....

I mean heck, there is a newer bar down the street from me that is full of old 8 bit video games, and another one that has a bunch of 80s board games....
Well, regarding records I've never been a fan of that nostalgic return of vinyl, I expect a reproduction support to deliver the highest possible fidelity.
A CD or a 24-bit flac is way way better than any analog support in that regard.

Some like what a record/turntable adds to the sound but imho it is actually subtracting and altering what's been recorded by the artist: lower dynamics, more noise, high frequency roll-off, no stereo separation on the lows, bad cross-talk, etc..

For anyone interested, I created this presets with what I consider realistic wow and flutter for a worned out tape echo, or at least something along the lines of strymon tape sims as I've never owned a real tape echo.

Let me know what ya think!

PS: a quick sample of me noodling around with it

Attachments

• Old Tape.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Would love to see a Korg SDD-3000 delay added, (unless it's already in there and I just haven't seen it yet... I just got my FX III so I'm still new to all of it).

Would love to see a Korg SDD-3000 delay added, (unless it's already in there and I just haven't seen it yet... I just got my FX III so I'm still new to all of it).
It's there, but in two parts. The magical bit of the SDD-3000 was its preamp, and that's available to you in the drive block: the SDD model in the drive block is based on the preamp of the SDD-3000. The rest of the SDD-3000's delay topology is a pretty normal digital delay. So you run a parallel line that's just DRV > DLY you can craft an SDD-3000 of your own.

After playing around with that another wish came to my mind:

Clip type and/or clip shape parameter for the drive control (added in the OP)

I suppose what's currently implemented in the drive knob is a pretty hard clipping since for a small variation of the input signal it goes from clean to fully distorted, so it would be nice to have a control to make the clipping softer.

There’s a nice demo of vinyl artifacts right before the guitar entry at the beginning of this:

For anyone interested, I created this presets with what I consider realistic wow and flutter for a worned out tape echo, or at least something along the lines of strymon tape sims as I've never owned a real tape echo.

Let me know what ya think!

PS: a quick sample of me noodling around with it

I tried to load the preset, but it's empty. Any ideas?

Also try "Dirty Tape Echo" and "Echo Deva 3" in Bank C of the factory presets.

M@ posted a few of his own delay presets on the forum a few years ago. They didn't get much attention then, but they were some beauties among them. Here are a few converted for the III.

The CAB links to user cabs, so pick a substitute. Also, these were exported using the latest (not yet released) firmware, so you may have to wait for the release of v12.

Attachments

• M@ Warble Delay.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
  • M@ 8 Tape Delays.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 47
  • M@ Binson Echorec.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 50
  • M@ Self Echolating pd.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Also try "Dirty Tape Echo" and "Echo Deva 3" in Bank C of the factory presets.

M@ posted a few of his own delay presets on the forum a few years ago. They didn't get much attention then, but they were some beauties among them. Here are a few converted for the III.

The CAB links to user cabs, so pick a substitute. Also, these were exported using the latest (not yet released) firmware, so you may have to wait for the release of v12.
Thanks! Saved for feature use :) BTW, there are 2 presets with the same name (warble).

Back
Top Bottom