A decaying crackling sound when palm muting low E

Total silence. Here is another preset that has a drive, amp and cab and has a weird enveloping noise afterwards. I know it doesn't sound like an envelope lol.

Yup. The noise is interference being picked up by your guitar. You can double-check this by plugging in your guitar with the noise gate all the way off. Now strap on your guitar, and turn around in a circle. You'll hear the noise fade in and out.

To hunt down the source of the interference, start by taking your guitar off your shoulder and moving it all around the room. Use it as an interference sniffer.

Yup. The noise is interference being picked up by your guitar. You can double-check this by plugging in your guitar with the noise gate all the way off. Now strap on your guitar, and turn around in a circle. You'll hear the noise fade in and out.

To hunt down the source of the interference, start by taking your guitar off your shoulder and moving it all around the room. Use it as an interference sniffer.
Oh shit I made it page 2. Removed the laptop from the room, turned off the gate and total silence anywhere I walk in the room with the guitar connected. Same humming noise when I palm mute anywhere in the room.

Personally I set my gate to 2 ratio and about -48db.
Anyway I recognise this problem i’m Just trying to think where and when I had it .
Does it do it with headphones?

Oh shit I made it page 2. Removed the laptop from the room, turned off the gate and total silence anywhere I walk in the room with the guitar connected. Same humming noise when I palm mute anywhere in the room.
Then there's another gate in your chain.

I do have the Fractal Hummbuster cables. Any known issues with them>
no, or they wouldn't be recommended.

if it does it with headphones, then a humbuster cable wouldn't even be involved.

contact support if you haven't already.

Something doesn't make sense here. With the laptop gone and the noise gate off, you get total silence, right? But when you palm mute, you get the noise? The clip you posted in post #8 is a totally different thing, not related to this.

Can you post your preset for us?

Something doesn't make sense here. With the laptop gone and the noise gate off, you get total silence, right? But when you palm mute, you get the noise? The clip you posted in post #8 is a totally different thing, not related to this.

Can you post your preset for us?
Yes total silence and palm muting I get the noise. Chris asked me to check something for post #8.
Preset is from Leon Todd 'LT George Lynch' https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6678
I get this humming on other presets with gain/distortion.

The preset you linked has input noise gate attack & release both at minimum, which will cause distortion/crackling as lower notes decay. This effect is worse with intelligent gate type but still occurs with classic type. Check input gate in the presets you tried so far, and make sure it's off (threshold at minimum) or at least increase release time to around 40-50 ms or more, then try again.

This won't help the humming interference noise but it might sound slightly better. It's tough to notice how much crackling is actually on your examples due to the extra noise and mic recording quality.

The preset you linked has input noise gate attack & release both at minimum, which will cause distortion/crackling as lower notes decay. This effect is worse with intelligent gate type but still occurs with classic type. Check input gate in the presets you tried so far, and make sure it's off (threshold at minimum) or at least increase release time to around 40-50 ms or more, then try again.

This won't help the humming interference noise but it might sound slightly better. It's tough to notice how much crackling is actually on your examples due to the extra noise and mic recording quality.
Ok I will try this tonight. Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a YouTube video that seems very similar to what I've got going on and will try this also.

Back
Top Bottom