AFIII A Dead & Co-inspired Deluxe Reverb Setup

iaresee

Administrator
I've been watching a lot of Dead & Co this summer and Mayer's Deluxe Reverb setup has really sounded phenomenal with the rest of the band. It's scooped but the bottom end bounces and doesn't fart out. I set out to get a DR clean tone like that and have struck upon something most excellent.

Here's a quick clip of the Scene 1 clean sounds so you can get a sense of what I was going for:

I wanted something articulate. It needed to place nice with the neck, middle and bridge pickups on my Suhr. It needed to place nice with my 'bucker-equipped PRS Hollowbody. It needed to handle some overdrives well. And it had to stick out in the mix.

This has been refined over the past few months and I'm feeling good enough about it to share it now.

The key to success was mixing two speaker IRs. I used the factory 1x12 Deluxe Verb 57 A and @Gamedojo's JBL E130 SM57 C IR to get to the tone I was seeking. Equal amounts. Heaven.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 3.38.24 PM.png

The AMP block is setup very clean. And there's a bump in Bass, Mid and Treble to get it to poke and pop a little more.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 3.38.53 PM.png

There are five scenes defined that let you move through some special, multi-effect settings with a single stomp. The Mu-Tron is mmmm, very good. And everything is tuned for the Suhr right now. If you hit with a humbucker guitar you'll likely need to tune the response of the envelope by adjusting the Gain setting on the Envelope controller.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 3.38.39 PM.png

There's a kitchen sink's worth of other effects in there to make all more versatile. I tend to build my presets to last an entire night's worth of gigging. I prefer to move effects in and out around a core AMP-CAB tone than switch presets. Works for me, my style and the stuff my band plays.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 3.39.53 PM.png

You can get the preset here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6499

And you can get @Gamedojo's IR here: http://www.tylergrund.com/patches/JBL E130 SM57 C.syx

Last edited:
Sounds fantastic; the low end is tight and bouncy which i always struggle to dial in with Fender's.

Thanks, can't wait to try it out. Seems like Mayer can switch between the 3 DRs on stage. And they all have D120s. I love the sound he is getting with the 3pu PRS and DRs. This is from their concert last week:

Thanks, can't wait to try it out. Seems like Mayer can switch between the 3 DRs on stage. And they all have D120s.
I broke out my Redwirez BigBox D120 IRs and tried them but didn't like how they sounded. Hopefully someone will shoot some new D120 IRs in the future.

I love the sound he is getting with the 3pu PRS and DRs.
Yea, it's not clear to me how he switches them or they're just there for a wet-dry-wet setup or what. But he's doing magic with the PRSi into the DRs. Both the Super Eagle and the 594 sound fantastic with this setup.

This Deal from last weekend is so damn good. He's really got the spirit channeled for the solo.

I broke out my Redwirez BigBox D120 IRs and tried them but didn't like how they sounded. Hopefully someone will shoot some new D120 IRs in the future.

I found about 4 of the Rewirez D120s that worked OK with my XL+. I haven't installed them yet in my FXIII. Yes, we need better IRs of the D120 and D130.

Yea, it's not clear to me how he switches them or they're just there for a wet-dry-wet setup or what. But he's doing magic with the PRS into the DRs. Both the Super Eagle and the 594 sound fantastic with this setup.

I wish PRS would make a poor man's 3pu Super Eagle. :)

Looks like Mayer is using an amp switcher but it is sitting on top of the amps so not sure either. This was his rig from earlier in the year:

I wish PRS would make a poor man's 3pu Super Eagle. :)
The PRS Roadshow rolled through my town this summer and I spent some time talking with the rep about how the new Special Semi-Hollow Limited would have been an insta-buy for me if they'd have done 24 frets. He said they tool up the line for 22 and keep it that way for long periods of time. Not sure what I take away from that, but I hope they do that model in a 24-fret version. That's the "poor man's Super Eagle". I was thiiiiiiis close to ordering that guitar. But the not-24-frets would have bugged me.

His board setup is so awesomely simple.

John Mayer is using the J-Mod 100 Amp blended with the Fender Deluxe and middle pickup 63/64 Fender single coil.. to get the Garcia tone for Dead and Company.
Also uses a pedal...probably a boost, but idk. To get what he calls "Tubiness". Not tube, but bathtub.
He talks about this stuff a in a video you can watch on YouTube. John Mayer demoing PRS Silver Sky

John Mayer is using the J-Mod 100 Amp blended with the Fender Deluxe and middle pickup 63/64 Fender single coil.. to get the Garcia tone for Dead and Company.
No sign of the J-Mod on stage this summer. Three DRs and that's it. Details here:

No sign of the J-Mod on stage this summer. Three DRs and that's it.

Jerry Garcia probably didn't use three DR's or PRS guitars. Guess you can closely achieve that Jerry thing a few different ways. Trying to chase down the 1 way would be almost be redundant

Great sound. I was able to get pretty close on my XL. That hollow body looks and sounds great, but it’d be silly to spend that much money and not get exactly what you want. Must have been tough to hold off.

Just created this in my AX8 and it sounds great. I don't have the same factory Deluxe cab so I just went w/ the stock one on the 8. Can't wait to try it at room volume ;-)

That Special is gorgeous, and I prefer the sound of the neck pup on 22 fret guitars so it'd be perfect for me. I'd have to add a push/pull so I could get the middle pup by itself though.

Sounds really good- that low end is really tight. I've used Tyler's IRs quite a bit- they always sound crisp and clear to me.

Any chance of sharing an AX8 version of this preset? I tried converting in Fractool but it errors out. Maybe Axe FX III doesn't translate back?

Any chance of sharing an AX8 version of this preset? I tried converting in Fractool but it errors out. Maybe Axe FX III doesn't translate back?
@jefferski has already done the hard work. Maybe he wants to share?

I’m jammed up until the weekend. But I can convert in then if no one else has.

Thanks! Man am I jonesing for the PRS Special too, but $4k is just a bit too high for me and weird that it doesnt have the middle pickup only setting. I wonder if they will come down at all on the used market next year once a lot of them are out there. Speaking of poor man's Super Eagle there is a really cool PRS CE24 Reclaimed Semi Hollow for sale on reverb that some dude modded with an NF middle pickup and coil tap switches.

https://reverb.com/item/14489974-prs-ce-24-reclaimed-limited-semi-hollow-2017-natural

Thanks! Man am I jonesing for the PRS Special too, but $4k is just a bit too high for me and weird that it doesnt have the middle pickup only setting. I wonder if they will come down at all on the used market next year once a lot of them are out there. Speaking of poor man's Super Eagle there is a really cool PRS CE24 Reclaimed Semi Hollow for sale on reverb that some dude modded with an NF middle pickup and coil tap switches.

https://reverb.com/item/14489974-prs-ce-24-reclaimed-limited-semi-hollow-2017-natural
Neat but someone had it waaaaaaay overpriced at $2900. Those mods don’t add to the value.

Back
Top Bottom