A/D and D/A Question - my signal chain

zionplayer

Inspired
OK - have a question for you guys who really understand this stuff. I am running my guitar to a Line6 G90 wireless (where I assume that is A/D conversion in the body pack), then from the G90 out (assume D/A) to the FX II front input (A/D), then out using Out1 (D/A) into my Behringer X32 Rack (A/D), then output (D/A) to my PA speakers. Started to wonder if all of the AD, D/A conversions are adding any unwanted elements to my signal chain, and if so is there anything I can (should?) do about it? This is my preferred setup and it does sound great to me. I don't see any kind of Digital Out on the G90, nor any kind of Digital in on the X32 Rack.

And maybe these conversion don't mean anything to my sound, I just don't know these things. I am also guessing that as more signal chain goes digital the hardware will adapt to these connections? Comments appreciated, and Thanks all!

Using spdif or aes is technically cleaner since it avoids the extra A/D D/A conversions, but with the quality of modern converters I doubt you'd ever notice a tonal difference while playing. Digital I/O is also largely immune to analog interference, signal loss, and cable noise. If the devices you use don't support digital I/O then you're kind of stuck with analog.

Using spdif or aes is technically cleaner since it avoids the extra A/D D/A conversions, but with the quality of modern converters I doubt you'd ever notice a tonal difference while playing. Digital I/O is also largely immune to analog interference, signal loss, and cable noise. If the devices you use don't support digital I/O then you're kind of stuck with analog.

Yep, kinda what I figured. Maybe something to hope for in future devices (Digital I/O, like Axe has)

my advice would be dont worry about it, but maybe don't do a serious recording with that set up

Back
Top Bottom