A Curious Case of Diezels

TGM

Inspired
Today I faced a strange phenomenon which actually yielded great results. Let me explain:

I have a preset that utilizes the 2+ channel of Herbie, and I love this channel for it's full sound. However it does not have enough juice to do some shredding. Today, I switched just the amp block to VH4 Silver 4 and the preset sounded unbelievable. It was full, warm, have just enough gain and sensitivity for some solo work. However, the interesting thing is; when I reset the amp channel and apply the same amp settings, it doesn't sound the same any more. The sound is smaler, drier.

I realized that choosing VH4 after Herbie 2+ gives it a different character than choosing the VH4 and resetting the amp. I guess it is inheriting some internal settings from the Herbie amp. Now I need to understand what are those inherited settings, because I do not want to loose this sound. Is there a way to understand which parameters are being passed to the VH4 amp, when you select it after Herbie and do not reset it?

I am on firmware 17.1.

Is this another possibility: Maybe I created this preset a few firmwares ago, and when I switch to VH4 it loads some incorrect settings, whose sound I really like. However, when I reset the amp vlock, I hear the amp as it is supposed to sound with 17.1 ?

If I was in your shoes, I would keep the amp set the way you like it....(let's say it's in channel A within the Amp Block). I'd then go to channel B, select the VH4 (which you are describing as sounding smaller). I'd then go page by page in the amp block and compare the settings in channel A vs. B. See what's different...

Yes I tried that. On channel A I got VH4, not resetted. On Channel B I got a copy of channel A, and it is resetted. I've gone through all the amp settings, I cannot see any difference.

If anybody wants to hear the difference I've attached the preset.

Attachments

• VH4.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
They fixed the Vh4 some months ago, they switch channel 2 and 3 if I am not wrong, in an update. But you talk about channel 4🤷. Don’t know.

The OP isn't complaining about amps. This thread isn't about tone.

The OP is suggesting there could be a bug in the Axe-Fx's Amp block where when you go from one amp model to another, some settings from the old amp block are being carried over when they shouldn't be.

The OP isn't complaining about amps. This thread isn't about tone.

The OP is suggesting there could be a bug in the Axe-Fx's Amp block where when you go from one amp model to another, some settings from the old amp block are being carried over when they shouldn't be.

Bug? I thought that this was the way the Axe operates? If you change amp models in a preset, it inherits the settings.

This is how I fumbled onto my Hot-Kitty-Obliterates-Your-Amp settings.

Axe gives you the opportunity to 'default' your block when you change it...you just have to choose that option.

Bug? I thought that this was the way the Axe operates? If you change amp models in a preset, it inherits the settings.

This is how I fumbled onto my Hot-Kitty-Obliterates-Your-Amp settings.

Axe gives you the opportunity to 'default' your block when you change it...you just have to choose that option.
I want to say it only inherits some settings though, not all. Like Gain and maybe level for example. But I'd really have to test it out. However, it should open the newly selected amp model at mostly default settings, with no advanced parameters being changed, or it would drastically change the sound.

Yes I tried that. On channel A I got VH4, not resetted. On Channel B I got a copy of channel A, and it is resetted. I've gone through all the amp settings, I cannot see any difference.

If anybody wants to hear the difference I've attached the preset.
I loaded your preset and don't hear any difference between amp block A vs amp block B. My ears are almost 61yo, so ya get what ya paid for. lol

For what its worth, I've still been playing on your preset and enjoying the sounds. I happened to have a Marshall 4x12 IR in one of the slots and its working. What type of IR were you using on your AF3?

Best of luck

Lee

Back
Top Bottom