A couple questions regarding balanced/unbalanced outs.

JoeyBTL

Inspired
The main reason I'm making this thread is because when I play live I just use my Axe straight into my HD1221 and then to FOH. Well with my ultra I used to use the xlr out1 to my monitor and xlr out2 to FOH so I can have my volume set for FOH and adjust my own monitor as needed. I'd like to do the same thing with my Axe2 but out2 only has unbalanced 1/4".

So since I already have a perfectly fine monster xlr cable, I thought I'd just buy an adapter, instead of a new cable, so I can use the out2. I just want to make sure I get the right one since the xlr outs on the back of the axe are labeled balanced and the 1/4" are labeled unbalanced.

So my questions are:

Will this adapter work just fine for plugging either my current cable into or using whatever goes to FOH?
Switchcraft Male 1/4" TRS To Male XLR Adapter | Musician's Friend

Is it better to have out1 or 2 go to FOH or my 1221 or doesn't it make a difference either way?

Why did Fractal decide to put xlrs on out1 but not 2?

I use an adaptor like that for out 2 with no problems. I use out 2 for my monitors for a shorter cable run than the who-knows-where-FOH-is out1 onboard XLR.

I don't think out 2 becomes balanced or anything but it works great for me with XLR to my QSC speakers.

Thanks Chris! That's what I wanted to hear. Any reason/benefit you to in doing out 1 to FOH and out 2 to your monitors as opposed to the other way around?

I like having the actual XLR go to the FOH mixer or recording desk or whatever. I think of "1" as my main signal to the audience.

I think of "2" as my signal, like an aux send from a mixer. I guess it's the sound guy in me :)

But also like I said before, I usually have a shorter cable run from the Axe to my powered speakers, so I use out 2 (which I'm pretty sure is still unbalanced despite the adaptors).

XLR cables can be run hundreds of feet without signal loss. 1/4" unbalanced starts to lose high-end frequencies after 18.5 feet. So I save the actual balanced XLR out for FOH.

I don't think I've actually experienced high end loss using 30ft of XLR and the adaptor from out 2 though...

Again not exactly sure what's going on there but it works for me!

Edit- as clarified in another thread, we are running low-impedance from out2 which explains no signal loss. So really up to you.

Okay that works then. As I was reading I was thinking "damn, my xlr is 30ft" haha. But that all sounds great then. It's not a bad idea just to run 1 to FOH just to be safe anyway. That's what I'll start doing. Thanks for the help!

I'm still curious about why fractal didn't put any xlrs for out2.

Back
Top Bottom