A couple of discoveries

Yes, I have to try those again. I'm now using his Friedman cab (M25 with SM7 + V30 with 313).
I really like the York Audio Friedman Cab but the Bogner cab (in my opinion) is a great match with the amp.

My MacBook had fallen off the end of Apple's supported hardware but it'd still run Logic Pro X nicely.

I have a mid-2009 (!) MacBook Pro that’s now my dedicated workstation for the Axe-FX III, and the heart of the live 5.1 surround performance system I’ve been prepping for post-COVID life. It has no problem spooling out 5.1 backing tracks, while supporting live synths and the Axe-FX III.

My primary studio is full of synths and MIDI controller keyboards, so there’s just no room to swing a guitar around comfortably. The laptop and studio Mac are networked, so I can send Logic Pro or Digital Performer projects back and forth, and do my guitar tracks in a much more comfortable open space.

And here’s the trick I’m hoping will help some of you Mac-based Fractalians out there … my 2009 MacBook Pro – which was declared end-of-life by Apple back when El Capitan came out – is happily running the latest version of Catalina, along with the latest current versions of my DAWs and plugins.

Magic? Well, close to it … for years, I’ve been using dosdude1’s patches to give my older Macs new life. They’re real, they're free, they work flawlessly, and you can find them here. Go for it.

Last edited:
Skip to late 2021 and Luna has some new functionality baked into the latest update. They also added windows support for the dongle this year. Mac user here and have upgraded to several new M1 mac's this year and a 2020 last intel iMac. Just got the USB-C version Luna dongle today. Took all of two minutes to connect my mac to Axe FX III via bluetooth then put AxeEdit on an iPad 12.9 display and control the Axe FX with the touch screen on the iPad. Dont recall if you could touch control the ipad with the older display port version of Luna display or not but it sure is nifty.

. . . .
I was looking at buying a Mac Mini M1 or iMac M1 system specifically for the music corner. But no: I bought a Dell 25" U2520D monitor with lots of USB ports + wireless Apple Magic keyboard/mouse. The single act of just taking my MacBook with me to the music corner and connecting a single USB-C cable, saves me at least 1300 euros. I'm using Spaces (Mission Control) on my MacBook for virtual desktops, and it works great. Glad I resisted the urge to get a Mini. (and I discovered that a MacBook with its lid closed is still operational and can still drive an external monitor).

So what did you do? I see that you've marked out a few sentences. I'm in the same boat and considering a Mac Mini. I have a balls to the wall loaded 16" MacBook Pro but having to reconnect and reset the interface setup (I have 2 interfaces + the Axe) is a pain in the butt.

the new m1 max macbooks are freaking crazy. i have an i9 15" macbook which handles everything very well. But i prefer use my gaming pc for everything guitar due to the larger screen and not having to disconnect or connect everything repeatedly.

if anybody is considering a mac mini wait for the next iteration of it, the apple soc's are getting better and better.

Back
Top Bottom