A couple Axe-Fx III/FM9 output questions. Simultaneous use of ports, and Humbuster to TRS.

LOVING the I/O options on the III and have some questions as I incorporate the same into a looping workflow. Apologies if the following questions are answered many times elsewhere.

1) The Axe-Fx III features the choice of balanced TRS and Humbuster outputs on Output 1. Is use of the two sets of L/R outputs exclusive, or may we use Output 1 as a splitter to more than one destination?

2) When running an output that features Humbuster technology to a destination that features balanced inputs only, should we use Humbuster cables or regular balanced TRS to TRS cables?

Many thanks in advance!

1) The Axe-Fx III features the choice of balanced TRS and Humbuster outputs on Output 1. Is use of the two sets of L/R outputs exclusive, or may we use Output 1 as a splitter to more than one destination?
You can use any number of the Output 1 physical outputs. The level on all them is controlled uniformly by the single Output 1 knob on the front of the unit.

You can also have outputs mirror each other so you can more easily have multiple output connections, independent level control, but not have to go and add an OUT 2, 3 or 4 block to every preset in your unit.

I'll have to leave the HumBuster question for someone else -- I don't know the answer.

You can use any number of the Output 1 physical outputs. The level on all them is controlled uniformly by the single Output 1 knob on the front of the unit.

You can also have outputs mirror each other so you can more easily have multiple output connections, independent level control, but not have to go and add an OUT 2, 3 or 4 block to every preset in your unit.

I'll have to leave the HumBuster question for someone else -- I don't know the answer.
Thanks for that @iaresee!

Anyone have an answer on question #2?

The question comes up when routing a fractal device a Humbuster output, through a mixer, into a looper. Will I damage things using a balanced cable? What are the electrical implications? By default I'm using the Humbusters to be safe in lieu of further information.

@iaresee, I've not bumped into the answer to the question in the manuals, or online. It's of course quite possible I overlooked it. I've seen similar questions answered, but not specifically the Humbuster OUT to Balanced IN using regular balanced cable question. I have Humbuster cables, and have made a couple myself, so I am clear on the normal purpose and use. Is there anyone whom I should tag here for a definitive answer on the special case? Many thanks in advance, Daniel

@iaresee, I've not bumped into the answer to the question in the manuals, or online. It's of course quite possible I overlooked it. I've seen similar questions answered, but not specifically the Humbuster OUT to Balanced IN using regular balanced cable question. I have Humbuster cables, and have made a couple myself, so I am clear on the normal purpose and use. Is there anyone whom I should tag here for a definitive answer on the special case? Many thanks in advance, Daniel
My $0.02: tagging people on the forum is borderline rude to get an answer to a question. No one gets paid to answer questions here, so no one owes providing answers to a question here.

If you're stuck and getting no traction on the forum try the official support channel at https://support.fractalaudio.com/ -- they do get paid to answer questions. :)

My $0.02: tagging people on the forum is borderline rude to get an answer to a question. No one gets paid to answer questions here, so no one owes providing answers to a question here.

If you're stuck and getting no traction on the forum try the official support channel at https://support.fractalaudio.com/ -- they do get paid to answer questions. :)
Roger that @iaresee. I will pursue that, and thanks again for graciously answering the first question so quickly. For what it's worth, the only reason I was considering tagging was so that the answer didn't just benefit me, and perhaps with the incorrect assumption that the paid staff occasionally chime in. I will post whatever I find out. :)

Roger that @iaresee. I will pursue that, and thanks again for graciously answering the first question so quickly. For what it's worth, the only reason I was considering tagging was so that the answer didn't just benefit me, and perhaps with the incorrect assumption that the paid staff occasionally chime in. I will post whatever I find out. :)
I love that you'd want to make sure everyone can learn from your question. If you get an answer from support consider mirroring it here? Or updating a wiki.fractalaudio.com page with the knowledge?

Do not use a Humbuster cable when connecting the 1/4 outs to a balanced 1/4 input. This is indirectly covered on page 23 of the owner's manual under "AXE-FX III OUTPUTS", but I can see how you wonder about using multiple balanced inputs.
  • When connecting to a device with balanced inputs, it is best to use the XLR outputs of the Axe-Fx III with XLR cables or XLR-to-TRS cables.
  • If a connected device has unbalanced inputs, use the unbalanced 1/4" outputs of the Axe-Fx III. Humbuster cables are not required, but can help prevent the noise associated with ground loops.

PS: It looks like I improved this section a bit for the FM9 manual; I'll backfill that into the III and FM3:

Note: Use Humbuster cables only when connecting to unbalanced inputs on other devices. When connecting to a 1/4" balanced TRS input, use a standard 1/4" patch cable — or better still, connect the balanced XLR outputs via XLR-to-TRS cables or adapters.

Do not use a Humbuster cable when connecting the 1/4 outs to a balanced 1/4 input. This is indirectly covered on page 23 of the owner's manual under "AXE-FX III OUTPUTS", but I can see how you wonder about using multiple balanced inputs.
  • When connecting to a device with balanced inputs, it is best to use the XLR outputs of the Axe-Fx III with XLR cables or XLR-to-TRS cables.
  • If a connected device has unbalanced inputs, use the unbalanced 1/4" outputs of the Axe-Fx III. Humbuster cables are not required, but can help prevent the noise associated with ground loops.
Thanks Matt! In this case, the question arises because the other two pairs of balanced XLR outs are already connected to other monitoring devices. Interesting that I should not be using Humbuster cable nor balanced cables at all in this scenario!

Back
Top Bottom