A cool band I discovered a couple years ago, thanks to Pandora's algorithms: Crack The Sky

Wow.... never heard of this band before. I assumed it was a Texas post-rock instrumental a
strangely similar name.... but it's not.

Edit: Explosions in The Sky is that other band.

This is cool. Like Jellyfish meets Steely Dan. :)

Wow.... never heard of this band before. I assumed it was a Texas post-rock instrumental a
strangely similar name.... but it's not.

Edit: Explosions in The Sky is that other band.

This is cool. Like Jellyfish meets Steely Dan. :)
Love Jellyfish (and Steely Dan). Got to see Jellyfish, opening for (and stealing the show from) The Black Crowes.

Yep. Discovered them around ‘78 with Live Sky. Can’t believe you didn’t include “Ice” in the samples. I think that’s their best. Or maybe “Surf City”. And they do a great version of I Am The Walrus too!

Yep. Discovered them around ‘78 with Live Sky. Can’t believe you didn’t include “Ice” in the samples. I think that’s their best. And they do a great version of I Am The Walrus too!
Yeah, tons of great songs. "Rachel". "Surf City". Apparently they were poorly marketed everywhere except, for some strange reason, Baltimore. Shoulda been as big as Kansas, Yes, Styx, etc.

This is fantastic.

I don't know why I never came across them before. Thanks!

Apparently they never hit anywhere but Baltimore. Stumbled across Nuclear Apathy on Pandora and looked into them, and made a Crack The Sky station on Pandora, which gets a lot of drive-time play....

As I am listening to them, they are a great mix of The Sweet, Kansas, and another 70s band that never broke big, The Good Rats.

Yeah, I can hear those, and maybe a pinch of Zappa here and there too, in the lyrics and somewhat jagged changes in the music. Good stuff. Will have to look for The Good Rats....

The band logo is outstanding too.

Yes, totally late '70s. Looks like it should be on a poster somewhere in the background in That '70s Show....

Back
Top Bottom