A Can of Worms - New Tune

Narsh

Experienced
It started one way and went another lol.... That's the way it always goes.
I was really looking for a heavy fuzzed out tone, similar to something Foo Fighters do on some of their tunes. Ended using Fuzz, some U2 type stuff and a little Metallica-ish rhythms in there too.

Hope you guys enjoy the jam...

As always: GREAT STUFF! The U2-ish part was a nice touch and I loved the melody-line guitar tone. The wah-effect solo was perfectly matched for the tune. I like that you've got crazy chops (man, when you turn it loose - wow!), but you don't feel that you have to showcase every trick you know in one song or one solo. The solos and guitar textures always serve the song first. What I really enjoyed was the last minute or so. That was a tasty and satisfying end to a great song - almost had a cinematic feel to it. I could practically feel the crowd surge and hear roaring applause at the end! The half-dozen of your songs I have heard so far are all fantastic, but this one feels special.

As always: GREAT STUFF! The U2-ish part was a nice touch and I loved the melody-line guitar tone. The wah-effect solo was perfectly matched for the tune. I like that you've got crazy chops (man, when you turn it loose - wow!), but you don't feel that you have to showcase every trick you know in one song or one solo. The solos and guitar textures always serve the song first. What I really enjoyed was the last minute or so. That was a tasty and satisfying end to a great song - almost had a cinematic feel to it. I could practically feel the crowd surge and hear roaring applause at the end! The half-dozen of your songs I have heard so far are all fantastic, but this one feels special.

Can't thank you enough for those comments.
I've been trying to let the tunes write themselves more so I'm glad to hear it's working.

To be honest, I wasn't to happy with this tune. Seemed like I was playing the same thing over and over, and getting the solos in there was a PITA. My last decision was to move the intro to the outro which totally worked and made that tune.
So all in all, I don't feel this was my best, its an "OK" tune in my book, as the composer, performer, producer, engineer and harsh critic.

But again, thanks so much for the comments and for listening to it. Definitely inspires me to write more. I'm feeling some dirty dirty thrash stuff coming for the next tune. ;)

Narsh, you are being too tough on yourself! This is some great quality stuff.

To my ears, the levels on the tracks are perfect; there is never "too much" of a certain frequency. The cymbal hits are clean and the bass guitar comes through nicely without being overpowering. The solos didn't feel like you were fighting them at all; in fact, one of things I really liked was that you did the two back-to-back solos and it genuinely sounded like two different guitar players, coming from different playing backgrounds. Not just the rigs, but the playing style as well. If it was just you on both, that's a pretty cool feat.

Moving the intro to the end WAS a brilliant move, because it did "make" the song. I felt like the audience got to collectively "catch its breath" after the fast tempo song.

You worried about the repetition, but that is a feature in the vast majority of songs. If you were trying to avoid that, then okay. Perhaps this is a song that is asking for lyrics? Like all of us, you are influenced by songs you hear, know and love (or hate!). How many songs have you heard where there is a four-bar intro, kick into the verse for 4 measures, add in the sing-along chorus, verse 2, chorus again, solo, verse, chorus, fade. If it's AC/DC, they throw in a key change during the solo (you had a touch of that!) or if it's Tool or Dream Theater, change time signatures three times. Ha! While I wouldn't say there is a "formula" to music, there are patterns for sure. Pick any song and dissect it on paper. Count the measures for the intro, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, etc. Map them out, in order. Bam. Pattern. Repetition.

Your playing technique is ultra clean, the rhythms are tight, the bends soar and the tones are delicious. You take the listener on a joy ride, while avoiding showoff-ey excess. Any time you think you've missed the mark on a song, think of guys like me out there who listen to it, smile and say, "Dude! This guy is freaking SMOKING!! Someday, I hope I'm that good." Sure, push yourself and critique your work, but also think of how many of us out here that you inspire with your stuff! So, it was better than "OK." Ha! Now, let's hear that thrashy tune!

Narsh, you are being too tough on yourself! This is some great quality stuff.

To my ears, the levels on the tracks are perfect; there is never "too much" of a certain frequency. The cymbal hits are clean and the bass guitar comes through nicely without being overpowering. The solos didn't feel like you were fighting them at all; in fact, one of things I really liked was that you did the two back-to-back solos and it genuinely sounded like two different guitar players, coming from different playing backgrounds. Not just the rigs, but the playing style as well. If it was just you on both, that's a pretty cool feat.

Moving the intro to the end WAS a brilliant move, because it did "make" the song. I felt like the audience got to collectively "catch its breath" after the fast tempo song.

You worried about the repetition, but that is a feature in the vast majority of songs. If you were trying to avoid that, then okay. Perhaps this is a song that is asking for lyrics? Like all of us, you are influenced by songs you hear, know and love (or hate!). How many songs have you heard where there is a four-bar intro, kick into the verse for 4 measures, add in the sing-along chorus, verse 2, chorus again, solo, verse, chorus, fade. If it's AC/DC, they throw in a key change during the solo (you had a touch of that!) or if it's Tool or Dream Theater, change time signatures three times. Ha! While I wouldn't say there is a "formula" to music, there are patterns for sure. Pick any song and dissect it on paper. Count the measures for the intro, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, etc. Map them out, in order. Bam. Pattern. Repetition.

Your playing technique is ultra clean, the rhythms are tight, the bends soar and the tones are delicious. You take the listener on a joy ride, while avoiding showoff-ey excess. Any time you think you've missed the mark on a song, think of guys like me out there who listen to it, smile and say, "Dude! This guy is freaking SMOKING!! Someday, I hope I'm that good." Sure, push yourself and critique your work, but also think of how many of us out here that you inspire with your stuff! So, it was better than "OK." Ha! Now, let's hear that thrashy tune!

Again thanks for that. Comments like that are truly inspiring.
Thrashy tune forthcoming!!! (After the honey-do list)

That sounds incredible: perfect crossover using different styles. As mentioned many times before: I like it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom