A bigger something new from XiTone Cabs!!!

MicFarlow

Experienced
Vendor
Hi All,

Here are some pics that will tell most of the story!

74517561-4B16-42FD-8482-F93B4652F7C3_zpswlt9vyot.jpg

Mono/Stereo - FRFR/nonFRFR 4x12 with 3db pad lifts

648BF699-625A-43D1-A3E8-D3D63E9A04BD_zpscif8b5bp.jpg

Front sans the grille

77AF19FC-323A-4B3A-AEE7-5B3D8F802C5E_zps12ca5azx.jpg

Input and Control panel
1/4 inputs - Mono/Stereo selectable - Left input mono to all 4 drivers
Toggle switches are for FRFR Bypass options, per side
Rocker switches are for 3db pad lift, per side

FEF140A7-8236-4D38-AF81-48BEB86774A9_zpseph3osfe.jpg

A couple of gut shots for those interested

6DB39509-1EE6-4238-9FAE-ADDBCBB6BF9E_zpsdnboxuvz.jpg

Back side of the control area

An interesting bit of trivia... there is right around 70 feet of wiring in this cab!

This is the same cab that I posted some vids on a few weeks back, just all finished out... sadly I don't think I'll have a chance to get any more video of it in action as the customer is understandably eager to get it! :)

Thoughts and comments welcome!

(I'll weigh it a little later today!)

Thanks,

Mick

That's pretty neat!

Make the switches midi for additional win.

Maybe not such a hard thing... would require a 4PDT relay per side in the cab that could be wired to the external switch functionality in most any midi controller... I'll have to look into it a bit as I am not 100% sure if that would work but I can easily test it.... hhhmmmmm

Looks awesome - what are you thinking for a price roughly? Also any plans for other rolex options/finishes?

Right now I'm thinking in the $1,099 - $1199 range plus shipping.

As for other finishes... open to anything. Shoot me an email with anything specific you might be interested in.

Maybe not such a hard thing... would require a 4PDT relay per side in the cab that could be wired to the external switch functionality in most any midi controller... I'll have to look into it a bit as I am not 100% sure if that would work but I can easily test it.... hhhmmmmm

Would be cool to have one that dynamically configures based on patch. Let us know if it works out!

Would be cool to have one that dynamically configures based on patch. Let us know if it works out!

We can make it happen!

Not knowing the exact way the MFC101 works with the external switches I sent Matt Picone a note late last night. True to Fractal's awesome customer service, he answered last night with what I needed to know! Thanks Matt!

So, here is the deal... I can make any of my cabs able to use MIDI to control any 4 features using an add-on device called a Switch Gizmo from a company called RJM Music.

Here is a link to it: Switch Gizmo

So, you could use that device to switch, on a per patch basis, the 3db pads and the FRFR Bypass per side any which way you choose. If you don't want to use the MIDI options, the manual switches will still work just fine.

So there ya have it! :)

Last edited:
I'm confused about the switches. What do you mean FRFR bypass? Are there extra FRFR output jacks on the cab you can toggle on and off or does the FRFR switch attenuate some of the highs of the incoming signal?

Also, will these cabs be available in straight format as well as slanted?

I'm confused about the switches. What do you mean FRFR bypass? Are there extra FRFR output jacks on the cab you can toggle on and off or does the FRFR switch attenuate some of the highs of the incoming signal?

Also, will these cabs be available in straight format as well as slanted?

FRFR bypass means bypassing the tweeter and crossover, not just cutting off or reducing the tweeters. The 3db pad switch on the tweeters will reduce the highs by 3db but that alone would not amount to FRFR bypass.

This is because most, if not all, speakers will have an area of increased sensitivity somewhere in the speakers response due to cone breakup. This is normal and often quite coveted in guitar speakers as the cone breakup can impart a lot of additional character into the overall tone of the rig. This is not wanted in FRFR systems.

The crossover in an FRFR system works to reduce that cone breakup by starting the roll-off of the woofer at a point that the resonate peak of the cone breakup is not a factor in the FRFR performance of the overall system.

There is a lot more to it of course but I hope the above info will help clear things up a bit!

Oh... forgot to add, angled or straight, no issues either way!

If i'm not mistaken, the FRFR bypass means that you are turning the tweeter off....and now using just the woofer, so it should be more like a traditional guitar cab/speaker.

Mick, correct me if i'm wrong.

If i'm not mistaken, the FRFR bypass means that you are turning the tweeter off....and now using just the woofer, so it should be more like a traditional guitar cab/speaker.

Mick, correct me if i'm wrong.

Not a correction, an addition... :)

Not only turning off the tweeter, but also 'turning off' the crossover.

Turning off just the tweeter will of course limit the top end of the driver/tweeter combination but won't give you back the cone breakup that the crossover takes out. So to get non-FRFR performance out of the cab you have to turn off both the crossover and tweeter.

Hope this helps!

I cannot wait for my 212 Switchable FRFR cab, Mick! As per our discussion today my sleep schedule is now absolutely screwed because of your revelations.... Thanks man.
I fully intend to kick out a comprehensive review after the honeymoon phase ends!

Well done sir! Fractal+XiTone=Milk n cookies!

Back
Top Bottom