A/B Test EVH 5153 vs. native model in V. 6.01

DukeOfPrunes

Experienced
My buddy and I did an on the fly A/B test with the 50 watt head vs. the Axe FX model and were quite amazed at the match for the Blue channel.

Still working on nailing down the Red channel.

One thing is certain, you do not need to buy the head if you have V 6.01.

Congratulations Cliff and FAS, what an accomplishment! A bit of phase 90 in front, and you're in Brown Sound Eddie territory......

A+

Jean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used both the red and blue channels this weekend as my primary sounds and it worked very well. Definitely liking these a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

i was playing with the red last night as well for the first time...wow it sounded so raw and huge...so very happy with this addition!

The reference amp is a 100W version. I don't know how much the 50W differs.

Funny story... Matt was in the lab after I got done with the modeling/matching. I hooked up a footswitch to the Axe-Fx so that one could toggle between the model and the real amp. The real amp was connected to a speaker cabinet in isolation and the Axe-Fx model running through an IR of that cabinet. We played "guess the real amp" 10 times. 8 of ten times Matt said he couldn't tell. Two times he said "that's the real amp"... and those two times he was wrong.

''We played "guess the real amp" 10 times. 8 of ten times Matt said he couldn't tell. Two times he said "that's the real amp"... and those two times he was wrong.''

Great story, Cliff- Times like those have got to make you happy and proud!!!! I appreciate all your work and dedication, I loved my standard, love my Ultra, and sure I will love my II when I get it.
Cheers,
Joel

Axe-Fx model running through an "IR" of that cabinet.

Please post a copy of that IR for us to check out Cliff!! I have long been asking for an IR or IR's of the cabinet or cabinets that you listen to amp heads thru. Why you being so precious about this??? This should be a no brainer.

Set a better sharing example dude!! lol

Cliff I'd love for you to start a "Guess the Real Amp" thread, wherein you post back-to-back Soundcloud clips and reveal the correct identities after, say, 48 hrs.

Cliff I'd love for you to start a "Guess the Real Amp" thread, wherein you post back-to-back Soundcloud clips and reveal the correct identities after, say, 48 hrs.

Not sure Cliff has the time for that. Would not surprise me if he isn't already planning/coding firmware 7.0. LOL

The reference amp is a 100W version. I don't know how much the 50W differs.

..........Two times he said "that's the real amp"... and those two times he was wrong.

Freakin' unreal!!

Being a tube and "only tube" purist for 30+ years........I never thought I'd see the day that I'd completely forgo my tube amps!! Even the pedal boards I would use would have to incorporate a real tube (12ax?) in the design.

I very reluctantly took the jump on the Ultra a couple years ago, and since then.....I've never looked back (i'm seriously eating crow now)!

I seriously believe the Ultra at 11.00 could satisfy my "tone" needs for the next 30 years! The Ultra is wicked!!

Now with the Axe II ..........eating more crow!!

On the Ultra.....the FAS Presets were not part of my go to presets.......however on the Axe II.....they rock!! Fas Modern and Fas lead 2 sound almost perfect with my guitar! ......practically all the amp presets are gig ready right out of the box!....maybe....just maybe.....a slight tweak or two for those who just need to turn a knob for psychological reasons (me included) :).

The USA presets as well are......pleasure!

I'm now working on fooling with the 5153. VH I and II......here I come.

......on 2nd thought, VH will have to wait.........first gotta finish the crow! :eek:ops :D

fas 6160 vs pv6160 vs 5153?

HI everyone, Im still trying to figure out the baseline differences of these amps/models. Both real world (what were the intentions of 5150 vs III and the FAS world. I have indeed used my ears and made presets but wondering what everyone knows or thinks?

Back
Top Bottom