A/B Switch for multiple guitars ?

mmpete

Experienced
Hi All

I have a need to swap between electric and acoustic guitars for different songs that we play. How do you guys achieve this with minimal cable swapping and time spent. Do you;
  • Use an A/B Switch, and have both guitars connected always
  • swap out guitar cables on the fly
  • something else
I do not yet have my AX8 - getting it very soon. Is it possible to have two inputs and leave both guitars plugged in, but then select the 'operational guitar' using a preset / scene?

Let me know what you do for this situation

Pete.

I used to use an A-B-Y switcher but 4-5 years ago I went wireless, so it's much easier now to simply unplug and replug the wireless when switching guitars and eliminate the A-B-Y altogether.

I also play electric and acoustic during gigs but choose not to leave the acoustic plugged in because doing so would continue to drain the battery. That is, the acoustics battery is engaged if and only if it is plugged in. Your acoustic may have an on/off switch.

I used to use an A-B-Y switcher but 4-5 years ago I went wireless, so it's much easier now to simply unplug and replug the wireless when switching guitars and eliminate the A-B-Y altogether.

So, do you mean that you have two transmitters, one permanently attached to each guitar or you just pull the transmitter off the guitar strap, slap on the second guitar, and plug it in again ? Thanks.

Will definitely give that (and the footsim) serious consideration. I was thinking about that type of setup to change amp channels, but to AB the guitars and have it controlled via the AX8 patch is awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

So, do you mean that you have two transmitters, one permanently attached to each guitar or you just pull the transmitter off the guitar strap, slap on the second guitar, and plug it in again ? Thanks.
One transmitter, either hooked on my belt or in my back pocket (not on the guitar). I then simply unplug from the guitar, switch axes and plug the transmitter output back in to the "fresh" guitar. Using the Shure GLXD wireless I get no pops or any other such noise when unplugging/re-plugging so there's no problem there. This keeps the pedalboard chain (tuner etc.) the same and totally eliminates the need for A-B-Y or any other switching solutions.

Last edited:
One transmitter, either hooked on my belt or in my back pocket (not on the guitar). I then simply unplug from the guitar, switch axes and plug the transmitter output back in to the "fresh" guitar. Using the Shure GLXD wireless I get no pops or any other such noise when unplugging/re-plugging so there's no problem there. This keeps the pedalboard chain (tuner etc.) the same and totally eliminates the need for A-B-Y or any other switching solutions.

How often do you have to switch out batteries on the transmitter with that system?

One wireless receiver, two transmitters mounted on the straps of the guitars. Switch one off, one on and a second to lock with the receiver, and go. As OddManOut noted above, if you're worried about losing battery life in an acoustic you can leave it unplugged until use. Just plug in first, then switch on. I do have a Taylor A/B/Y switch that is very solid and would be fine for hard wiring, but have rarely used it.

I use the Shure GLXD system with rechargable batteries so cost (beyond the original purchase) isn't a factor in using two transmitters per night.

I have a line 6 G30 and have considered getting a second transmitter so I could switch guitars, turning one off, swapping, and turning the other on. It is also a cleaner solution in terms of cables on the floor too. Great food for thought guys - thanks for sharing. :)

That is a really cool piece of kit. Thanks for the link.
It is a great device. Flawless in my axefx rig, I am still playing around with it on the ax8. Only drawback is it's powered with a wall wart, didn't bother me in a rack as it was concealed.
But the same is true for the ax8, delivering power and feeds for FOH and monitors where before all that was off stage or well behind me. Issues I am happy to work thru given the convenience of the ax8 in all other respects.
I'll be making a snake soon, I've road tested it enough to make a good snake setup.

It is a great device. Flawless in my axefx rig, I am still playing around with it on the ax8. Only drawback is it's powered with a wall wart, didn't bother me in a rack as it was concealed.
But the same is true for the ax8, delivering power and feeds for FOH and monitors where before all that was off stage or well behind me. Issues I am happy to work thru given the convenience of the ax8 in all other respects.
I'll be making a snake soon, I've road tested it enough to make a good snake setup.

I use TechFlex f6 for all my looms. Love it.

https://www.techflex.com/prod_f6n.asp

Heard about it hear on the forum. I didn't buy the hot knife for cutting it. I just use scissors and singe the end with a lighter. Works great.

Have not heard of Techflex before - lots of choices. I purchased PedalSnake ( https://www.pedalsnake.com/ ) for my pedal board but necer configured it to use ats the AX8 came out and I started selling all of my pedals ... I will probably look at using that if possible. Out of interest, you can pass power down the pedalsnake as well as midi and audio. lots of configuration choices.

I wonder what other options are out there?

I have a line 6 G30 and have considered getting a second transmitter so I could switch guitars, turning one off, swapping, and turning the other on. It is also a cleaner solution in terms of cables on the floor too. Great food for thought guys - thanks for sharing. :)

I also use the G30. I have a single transmitter and carry it in my back pocket. I just leave the transmitter turned on, unplugging the old guitar and plugging in the new guitar when I switch. (I rotate between 4 guitars during the typical show, so probably make 8 to 12 guitar changes, depending on the setlist.) I can change guitars in less time than it takes one of my bandmates to thank the audience and announce the next song. I do use a volume block on all presets, and External Controller #1 is my volume pedal. I always kill the volume between songs anyway, so there's no issue with pops or static when I unplug and re-plug the transmitter into guitars.

How often do you have to switch out batteries on the transmitter with that system?
GLXD has a built in li-ion battery, charges on the receiver. Nifty. 15 min charging for 1 1/2 hour playing. 16 hrs on a full charge. Drawback is the plug on the transmitter. Sort of a less available type. Line6 G70 has a jack, but not the battery and charging.

I love the Neutrik/REAN silent plugs. Worry free unplugging! I don't like the look of the red Neutriks so I use Rean (Neutriks budget brand) silent plugs that look like the chrome switchcraft plugs. They're dead cheap and rock solid, have never given me a problem yet.
Model nr REAN NYS224S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom