A/B Input Switching with the Axe Fx III and FC-12

alex-richter

I own both the Axe Fx III and the FC-12 foot switch, which up until recently, I only played through a guitar cable that is plugged into input 1. Then, a couple days ago, I got a great deal on a guitar wireless system, which I have now hooked up to input 2. So far, everything works great, except for one thing: I can't seem to figure out a way to switch between the two inputs using the FC in a way that the change persists across different presets. I'm thinking of something like this: One day, I might sit down and just practice for a while. For that, I want to plug in with the cable. But on another day, I might feel like standing up in a jam session. And then, I'd like to play through the wireless system. And obviously, when switching the input sources like this, I wouldn't want to edit all my presets every time to replace the input blocks. Instead, it would be awesome if I could just hit a switch on the FC and the input switches automatically in all my presets.

I have already experimented with all kinds of combinations of input, mixer or multiplexer blocks, but I always got stuck somewhere down the road. Maybe I'm too blind to see the solution by now, but could it be that it is not possible to implement this kind of setup with an Axe Fx III? Do I need an external A/B pedal for switching the input sources, which I then run into input 1?

You can use a MUX block all by itself to toggle between different inputs. Use a Control Switch as a Modifier on the Input Selector. The Control Switch will persist across preset and scene changes. You'll need this MUX config in all the presets you want this behavior.

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 9.34.37 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-06 at 9.35.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 9.35.28 AM.png

I hook up to both front and rear Input 1 jacks. My wireless receiver is on top of my rack with a shorty connected to the front jack on the Axe III and then my instrument cable is plugged into the rear input (by way of a Lehle P Split), so the wireless is default but if I want to go wired, I just pull the cable plugged into the front jack. Front jack takes precedence over rear if you're plugged into both. Works well for me and also leaves inputs 2-4 open.
The P Split has two outputs so you can also route your direct cable signal to another input or an audio interface or what have you.

P-Split-09.jpg

Last edited:
I would frequently get my cables wrapped around chair legs or some other clutter in my jam room, and I could imagine the Axe III's front panel jack getting yanked from a cable that I've tripped on. So, another reason that I use the P Split is to prevent any damage to the front jack.

Input 1 F/R is what I do as well! No idea why I didn't mention it. I just saw Input 2 and thought... man a MUX block is awesome for that.

First of all, thank you guys so much for your quick responses! I have just tried out the multiplexer solution that biskitboy mentioned, and I have to say: It works perfectly! That's exactly the setup I was going for. I have of course also thought about using the front input as an override, but that would require one cable to stick out of the front of my rack, which does not fit so well into my setup. Although I never would have found that control switch option myself - this just goes to show again that the Axe was well worth its money ;)

Back
Top Bottom