Wish 9VDC Converter for FASLINK II port when unused

Snooze

Here is an idea I just had while reading the FM3 manual.

When the FASLINK II is not in use, maybe it could be used to power a small converter made by FAS that would provide power (and maybe protection) to other devices like midi controllers, external effects, etc.. So the idea would be for FAS to design and build an XLR connector adaptor to a standard 9VDC female that would allow a standard pedal power cable to be connector that would feed external effects.

In my case, I'm planning to use a midi controller with the FM3 but it would be great to avoid having to bring a power bar and a separate power converter to power the midi controller. Having all in one solution would be neat.

I'm sure there are technical challenges to this but I would assume it's not impossible to design.

Here is my first wish on this forum!

I've built my own 9V supply into an xlr connector for the same reason. it's powering a morningstar MC3 and a EH headphone amplifier. :cool:

I've built my own 9V supply into an xlr connector for the same reason. it's powering a morningstar MC3 and a EH headphone amplifier. :cool:

I thought about doing the same but I would not want to void the warranty by doing so. I would bet that FAS have put a breaker on the FASLINK power output so it is probably low risk but breakers are not perfect.

Out of curiosity, do you have any photos? Can you share what your design was?
Thanks!

Matt

Well it looks just like a right angle xlr connector with two DC cables coming out lol. I', not going to take it apart again unless it breaks, though, it was a PITA to get the supply in there; i had to cut some pins short on the XLR and cram and wiggle all over the place to get the backshell on the XLR connector.

I used this 9V supply from digikey. no external capacitors or anything needed, just DC in and DC out.

Back
Top Bottom