96kHz sampling?

gdgross

Experienced
i normally clock all my sessions at 48kHz, which fits perfectly with the ax8. When i need to record electric, I do it direct from the SPDIF out, with the ax8 acting as the clock source. Works perfectly, and I can use my audio interfaces internal clock for recording everything else.

This may be an audio interface question, but can one do this at 96kHz? No need as far as guitar tone goes imo, or most other tones, but I've been reading some articles that make me think I might want to consider working at higher sample rates. I can always record the analog outputs of course, but it's be nice to keep using the spdif....

The ax8 only operates at 48k of course, but I wonder if the session can be twice the sample rate? No conversion needed, just record every other sample on the ax8...

Btw, the reasons are mainly for future proofing my sessions and having high sample rate master files, not necessarily sonics related.

The interface would need to be running at 48k while recording via SPDIF. Some programs like Reaper make this pretty easy, resampling on the fly as needed. You can switch to 48k for tracking guitar, then back to another rate for other things.

Ah so the daw would need to have an internal sample rate different that the interface.

Fwiw I think logic 9 used to do this - I remember recording via USB on the axefx (original I think!) in 44.1k sessions.

Currently using PT 12, I'll have to check whether this is possible

ProTools is unfortunately very bad at handling mixed sample rates. Reaper can handle many different sample simultaneously and will do sample rate conversion on the fly.

I don't think you can run the audio interface at 96k while doing spdif at 48k - especially since spdif/AX8 will have to be the master clock. The good news is that it should be unproblematic to upsample from 48k to 96k without artefacts, so you can record the AX8 in a sub-project, and then upsample the result files. Or you could just run everything at 48k or use the analog inputs.

ProTools is unfortunately very bad at handling mixed sample rates. Reaper can handle many different sample simultaneously and will do sample rate conversion on the fly.

I don't think you can run the audio interface at 96k while doing spdif at 48k - especially since spdif/AX8 will have to be the master clock. The good news is that it should be unproblematic to upsample from 48k to 96k without artefacts, so you can record the AX8 in a sub-project, and then upsample the result files. Or you could just run everything at 48k or use the analog inputs.
Thanks, I'll add this to the mile-long list of protools feature requests :)

Back
Top Bottom