90's rock tones

jm417

I am a huge fan of rock music from the 90's. Whether its Hard rock, Alternative, or Grunge. I am in the process of building a load of presets from scratch for a bunch of different bands/guitarists. To save myself time, I was wondering if anybody had any presets they could load of any of these bands or songs. Patches don't need to be for any specific song, a generic preset would work too and I could just add/alter if I needed.

311 - Down, Come Original,
Alice In Chains - Grind, Again, Would?, Dirt, Man In The Box,
Better Than Ezra - Good
Blink 182 - Dammit
Bush - Everything Zen, Little Things, Machinehead
Candlebox - Far Behind, You
Danzig - Mother
Deftones - Change, Minerva
Dinosaur Jr. - Feel The Pain
Filter - Hey Man Nice Shot, Welcome to the Fold
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench, Everlong, No Way Back, Breakout, Stacked Actors
Godsmack - Whatever, Awake, Keep Away
Helmet - Unsung
Nirvana - In Bloom, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, Heart Shaped Box
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole
The Refreshments - Banditos
Pearl Jam - Even Flow, Alive
Radiohead - Creep
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade, Killing In The Name
Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You
Silverchair - Tomorrow
Smashing Pumpkins - Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Cherub Rock, Today
Soundgarden - Outshined, Black Hole Sun
Sponge - Plowed
Stone Temple Pilots - Plush, Sex Type Thing, Dead & Bloated, Down,
Sublime
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Tool - Aenima, Schism, Prison Sex
Weezer - Hash Pipe, Say It Ain't So, Undone
White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65

That's quite a laundry list of tones you're looking for.
The Alice in Chains will be any thick high gain with a formant filter (unless you're using either a Banshee or regular talk box)
Setting the Formant up can be hair pulling but a few of us have managed to come up with a damn good mimic of the Heil.
Ask and ye shall recieve.

Actually, most of those will work with a decent high gain/distortion patch.
The difference is going to be in what you're feeding it.

If you have a second guitar...you may want to go to heavier gauge strings and permanent drop tune to full Standard tuning a full step down.
A lot of the 90's tone wasn't so much the amps...it was the guitars..how they were tuned and the tone knob being rolled over halfway back.

I have a second guitar, and a third and fourth... too many some say. I have them set up for most of these songs already. I used them before I got the Axe, running through a pedalboard and into a Dual Rec. The stuff that uses single coils I used a strat or tele, for humbuckers I used a Les Paul or a cheap washburn that sounds pretty good. I can't use just one patch for all of them, because I'm limited by my controller to just 3 CC's for effects changes. I pretty much know what amp and cap models they used when they recorded, and can make a good guess on the effects, but I figure there has to be another forum member that has a couple presets already made that could work for these songs. If I have to go from scratch, I will, but if I can get some of them from someone else it would be way easier.

I put a bunch of time into a formant Filter for Man in the Box..
When I get back to the computer in my music room, I'll post it for ya.

Here's a few though.>>You may be asking..... how did I get THOSE posted and didn't post the Forment? Cuz these are on the computer I'm using at the moment and the Formant is in a larger file on my desktop

Attachments

• 061 - Nirvana Clean Drone.syx
    2 KB · Views: 196
  • 062 - Nirvana Dirty Drone.syx
    2 KB · Views: 196
  • 066 - Nirvana Clean.syx
    2 KB · Views: 180
  • 067 - NirvanaRthum Boost.syx
    2 KB · Views: 189
  • 068 - Nirvana Solo.syx
    2 KB · Views: 176
  • 070 - Green Day.syx
    2 KB · Views: 209
  • 031 - Zombiefied.syx
    2 KB · Views: 168
  • 036 - Zombie Crunch.syx
    2 KB · Views: 190
At some point though, because of the versatility of the Axe...you're probably gonna want to get a midi controller that will let you access all 8 modifiers.
I use the Roland FC300...two controller pedals...plus an on/off toe switch under each pedal...and 5 midi controller buttons...)leaves one spare to stick here or there for whatever)

Those look pretty good. I loaded them into Axe Edit to check them out. Couldn't put them on the Axe-Fx yet unfortunately. I've got a 2x2 Midisport on order from Sweetwater that should be here next week. Then I can upload some of my patches. I have a bass patch for Stranglehold, a Kerry King Reign in Blood/Seasons album patch and a partially finished Johnny Greenwood (creep) and Billy Corgan (Zero, Cherub rock) patches. I need to go back and do some tweaking because they don't sound the same now that I am using a powered atomic cab. I made them to use with my homemade tele with Lace sensors.

As far as controllers go, I am looking at a ground control and a mission expression pedal. right now I use a Midi Mate, and it only lets you assign 5 CC's. And I use one for tuner and one for reverb, leaving me with 3 free. I need to unload my Dual Rec before I can buy anything else though.

Best of luck.
I actually got the FC300 through the guitar center "used" link...
As a rule, I don't do business with Guitar Center because I got fed up with them having employees who are clueless about what they're selling.
I like the mom and pop stores where the guys and girls working there have been there, done it, and many still are doing it.

Hey grumpops, any chance of you still posting that Man in a Box patch? I'm new to the axe fx and have been trying to learn reading all the forums, wikis info, etc etc but I find that loading patches helps me learn a lot as well. Thanks for your previous posts!

agh! Sweetwater is pissing me off. Still don't have the Midisport 2x2 in stock that I reserved over 2 weeks ago. Should have just bought from Musicians Friend like I always do. I'm chomping at the bit to load these presets up and test them out. I have made a couple decent presets up that could work well for some of the stuff. only thing thats evading me is the harmonics that I can hear in some songs (Foo Fighters stuff for instance, especially from The Colour and the Shape and In Your Honour). I'm almost certain it is from power amp distortion. But I can't figure out how to accurately capture it. Their stuff isn't too gain-y so driving hard it won't accomplish anything.

So Sweetwater finally shipped the midisport today. Only took them 23 days. Then I can load up the tons of patches I have found and check out some of the 1000's of IR's I have been accumulating for over a month. When I figure out how to save the .syx files to my computer I will upload some of the stuff I've been working on. It's mostly pretty basic stuff, since i'm kind of a noob to the axe-fx. Still trying to work out what some of the more in depth parameters control and how they affect the sound, and also what combinations of things work best.

I put a bunch of time into a formant Filter for Man in the Box..
When I get back to the computer in my music room, I'll post it for ya.

Here's a few though.>>You may be asking..... how did I get THOSE posted and didn't post the Forment? Cuz these are on the computer I'm using at the moment and the Formant is in a larger file on my desktop

Hello there.
Thanks for uploading but I can't seem to open them in my AX8 edit or Axe 2 edit... Any ideas why that is?
Thanks in advance.

This post is from 2011? From a very old firmware version? Even if it loaded, it would likely sound VERY different than was intended.

Back
Top Bottom