9.0 Volume Block Taper

I've found that using the volume block with pedal1 as the controller give an abrupt jump as opposed to a smooth increase. I've calibrated my pedal and compared using it to control the volume on the volume block and the input volume alternately. Using the Input Volume to control volume gives a very smooth swell, like would be expected. When I use it with the volume block it gives an abrupt start and end to the note. It's like it jumps from 0 to 5 or 10%. I've tried altering the slope and the volume taper, but none are as smooth as using the Input Volume control.

I need the volume block because I use a VG-99 into input 2 for COSM guitars and alternate tunings and there isn't an input control for input 2 that I can see. I would like the volume taper to be the same on both inputs...obviously I'd prefer the smooth control of the Input Volume control. Any ideas?

FYI: The start on the Volume block is 0, mid 50, end 100. I tried multiple slopes.

On a side not: Is there somewhere I can see what the current settings are to the Input and Output Volume controllers? I use a IA switch on my midi board to send 127 as on and 114 (10% less) for off to use as a boost switch. I would hate to setup patches and not realize I had set the levels with the boost off and then clip the output when I turn it on.

onemoreguitar said:
I've found that using the volume block with pedal1 as the controller give an abrupt jump as opposed to a smooth increase. I've calibrated my pedal and compared using it to control the volume on the volume block and the input volume alternately. Using the Input Volume to control volume gives a very smooth swell, like would be expected. When I use it with the volume block it gives an abrupt start and end to the note. It's like it jumps from 0 to 5 or 10%. I've tried altering the slope and the volume taper, but none are as smooth as using the Input Volume control.

I need the volume block because I use a VG-99 into input 2 for COSM guitars and alternate tunings and there isn't an input control for input 2 that I can see. I would like the volume taper to be the same on both inputs...obviously I'd prefer the smooth control of the Input Volume control. Any ideas?

FYI: The start on the Volume block is 0, mid 50, end 100. I tried multiple slopes.

On a side not: Is there somewhere I can see what the current settings are to the Input and Output Volume controllers? I use a IA switch on my midi board to send 127 as on and 114 (10% less) for off to use as a boost switch. I would hate to setup patches and not realize I had set the levels with the boost off and then clip the output when I turn it on.

If you have an an abrupt surge in volume, you may have the pedal polarity reversed. In that case, switch the 2 1/4 TS cables that go into the volume pedals around.

Also, in the volume block there is a taper setting you can set the block to emulate different tapers. You may want to play with this.

I too have noticed the volume block changed with 9.0. I will try the taper parameter to fix it.

I don't know if it's changed or not. I truthfully haven't used it until recently with the pedal1 to control it. I just put 9.0 on it because that's my current firmware. If it has changed though, it's not too good.

If the polarity is a problem, it's not affecting the Input Volume control. It's a BOSS FV500 with the min volume set to 0. I tried using the taper setting. It still had a noticeable jump at the start of the travel. Like I said before, this jump isn't present in the Input Volume control.

onemoreguitar said:
I don't know if it's changed or not. I truthfully haven't used it until recently with the pedal1 to control it. I just put 9.0 on it because that's my current firmware. If it has changed though, it's not too good.

If the polarity is a problem, it's not affecting the Input Volume control. It's a BOSS FV500 with the min volume set to 0. I tried using the taper setting. It still had a noticeable jump at the start of the travel. Like I said before, this jump isn't present in the Input Volume control.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant you were plugging the volume pedal in between you guitar and axe-fx to test if it worked. What happens if you set the volume block to linear? That should be the same as the input volume control.

it seems to be working fine here with a roland ev-5 through a lf pro.

I thought that would be the same too, but that's setting where I first noticed it. I didn't start changing tapers until after that. I run 2 MI LF pedals with toe switch into my LF Pro, but I like the extra travel of the BOSS 500's for volume swells and string bending (VG-99 B bender guitar). Like a EB volume without the stupidly expensive price (2x as much for a VOLUME pedal...get real...Australian price).

I think running it through the LF Pro is actually different. I believe it turns the motion into a midi signal. The AFX might do the same...I don't know. I haven't tried it again since posting here. I've been a bit busy. I'll give it another try a tonight or tomorrow and see if the gremlin is still there. I'm aware that with any problems I come across that user error is high on the list of culprits. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know the verdict once I try it again.

onemoreguitar said:
I thought that would be the same too, but that's setting where I first noticed it. I didn't start changing tapers until after that. I run 2 MI LF pedals with toe switch into my LF Pro, but I like the extra travel of the BOSS 500's for volume swells and string bending (VG-99 B bender guitar). Like a EB volume without the stupidly expensive price (2x as much for a VOLUME pedal...get real...Australian price).

I think running it through the LF Pro is actually different. I believe it turns the motion into a midi signal. The AFX might do the same...I don't know. I haven't tried it again since posting here. I've been a bit busy. I'll give it another try a tonight or tomorrow and see if the gremlin is still there. I'm aware that with any problems I come across that user error is high on the list of culprits. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know the verdict once I try it again.

Yes, a bit different (that why I mentioned hoe I am running). regardless of through the midi port or the back of the axe-fx, it still needs to convert that to the same values that the external controller reads. The external controller then communicates with the parameter. I hope you get it worked out.

I just played with it. The input volume control does not appear to be linear. It sounds like it uses a log taper. The volume block linear sounds linear. That is why you hear the volume jump up fast. Linear tapers work that way with volume and is typically why they are not used for volume. Switch the taper in the volume block to something like LOG10a and see if that doesn't work better for you.

After switching to v9 my volume doesn't turn all the way off and when it is really low it distorts. I switched the tapper and it is much better.

MKeditor said:
After switching to v9 my volume doesn't turn all the way off and when it is really low it distorts. I switched the tapper and it is much better.

You probably need to recalibrate the expression pedal w/ the midi controller. The distortion is probably gate chatter.

Back
Top Bottom