Wish 88.2k and 96k sample rates

It's recorded in all sorts of formats. 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192. They're all used. It depends on the situation and the engineer and the project. Don't make the mistake of thinking there are rules in music. There aren't.

Thats not what i did. Thats what any manufacturer would be doing when they only assume that one sample rate will be used. You speak as if i am the only person bringing this up when there are tons of unhappy campers about this who have apparently spoken up previously as links have been posted to those complaints. And this is a very grave issue for some of us which is causing our workfow to be impeded and to be not too efficient because we have to unplug the AES cable because our interfaces are beeping that channel being screwed up when we switch to do our sessions in other sample rates. But nice try.

it is absolute madness for me to have to crawl beneath and to the back of my desk to unhook the AES cable when not in 48k and we absolutely should not have to do this.

T

Where are you getting this? Helix manual says you can use 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96. I is absolutely imperative for a unit to have that in the world of digital connectivity and the reason they also included 48 and double that at 96 was for in case one needs compatibility with broadcast standards for recording with it in post.

View attachment 105708
Yeah that's my bad. I haven't had the hardware for some time so remembered incorrectly.

it is absolute madness for me to have to crawl beneath and to the back of my desk to unhook the AES cable when not in 48k and we absolutely should not have to do this.
Ok, this is actually the problem. The analog outs vs digital has no perceivable sound difference in a mix. But having to reconfigure the studio is a bit of a pain, especially when you have everything racked. I can see how the aes port becomes unusable.

Thats not what i did. Thats what any manufacturer would be doing when they only assume that one sample rate will be used. You speak as if i am the only person bringing this up when there are tons of unhappy campers about this who have apparently spoken up previously as links have been posted to those complaints. And this is a very grave issue for some of us which is causing our workfow to be impeded and to be not too efficient because we have to unplug the AES cable because our interfaces are beeping that channel being screwed up when we switch to do our sessions in other sample rates.

Honestly I know you're not the only person bringing it up. I'm saying the same thing to you that I say to anybody else who does. Your problem is not special or unique.

If it's such a "grave issue", maybe don't hook up your device to your studio in such a way as to limit your flexibility? Fractal has been super up front about this from day one. There's nothing about this information that's new.

These are solvable problems, and they're affecting a very, very small minority of Fractal users.

I honestly don't know what else to tell you dude. It really doesn't matter what any other manufacturer would be doing. Fractal products are 48khz only*. This topic has been done to death, and it's not going to change. You can complain about it all you want. It's just wasted keystrokes at this point.

Then don't do that? Hook up your AxeFX with analog patch cables and never deal with sample rate issues again. Or don't and deal with being restricted to 48K.

Dealing with and overcoming constraints and limitations is just part of the job.

*: at least for this generation. Who knows what the next gen hardware will bring, but it's not gonna arrive for a while so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Honestly I know you're not the only person bringing it up. I'm saying the same thing to you that I say to anybody else who does. Your problem is not special or unique.

If it's such a "grave issue", maybe don't hook up your device to your studio in such a way as to limit your flexibility? Fractal has been super up front about this from day one. There's nothing about this information that's new.

These are solvable problems, and they're affecting a very, very small minority of Fractal users.

I honestly don't know what else to tell you dude. It really doesn't matter what any other manufacturer would be doing. Fractal products are 48khz only*. This topic has been done to death, and it's not going to change. You can complain about it all you want. It's just wasted keystrokes at this point.

Then don't do that? Hook up your AxeFX with analog patch cables and never deal with sample rate issues again. Or don't and deal with being restricted to 48K.

Dealing with and overcoming constraints and limitations is just part of the job.

*: at least for this generation. Who knows what the next gen hardware will bring, but it's not gonna arrive for a while so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I understand, it's all done and set now, and am really liking the sound of the HD i/o converters on the afx 3 analog outs, but please do note that playing through AES has overall less latency due to no conversion. At least in my experience. It's barely noticeable but its there. The best test for these things is just tap your pick on the pickup and you will determine various ricochet ping-ponging in your system. But with this new avid HDX card no latency whatsoever is detectable anywhere in the system in any mode. Freedom from native buffers is one of the greatest things one can experience.

And also, just before flipped out my HD native card, i noticed AES was more stable for very long record takes when going extremely low buffer sizes as compared to the analog to digital conversion method.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom