'80s Lifeson tone Q - PCM80?

Disconnector

Inspired
Hi all! I've been trying to get that shimmery/chorus/flangy tone on Grace Under Pressure. I've downloaded the presets that others have created and although they sound good there's just something missing especially since most of those presets were created with a much older version of the firmware. The closest I have found from anyone so far is this clip from SoundCloud which is some sort of amp into a PCM80 - -

This sounds spot on to my ears. Has anyone figured out how to cop the Glide>reverb algorithm on the AF yet?

Thanks all!

Hey Rich, this is indeed a pretty good cop of this tone. Ryan Blossey is the Analogkid, he was active on the old hugeracks site and is still around, maybe he has finally got a fractal product, I havent communicated with him in quite a while. I have some info from him from a few years ago on how he set that up on the PCM 80 as far as delay times etc. I could never get this close on my AxeFx.

Hey Tom! It's been too long brother - hope to see you the next time I'm at the beach.

Yeah - I can't get close enough ITB yet either. The flange sweep and Lexicon reverb is just flat out awesome! I'm still hoping that Cliff throws out a GK 250ml model for the '80 tonez.

I'm about 90% of the way to a Lifeson Axcess Les Paul BTW. You ruined me there :)

I'd love to see the info that you do have for Lifeson tones on the PCM 80 . . . $500 buys one on Reverb.com.

I'll also see if I can find Ryan as well. Thank you sir!

@alboz28 - that's the problem - it was recorded through a PCM80. I'm digging into the PCM80 manual right now but I haven't found a really good explanation of the glide>hall algorithm yet or any of the settings in the preset. I'm working though!

thoughts - buy Glenn's Rush patch...then tweak & tweak. On the delay, proly need to use diffusion setting in the delay block. Or pay a "hired gun" to get a prest close for ya, then tweak.

Just bought a PCM80 on Reverb last night and I think I've located the sysex for that tone. Once I get all of the parts I'm going to try to port the sound to the Axe . . . I think it's close enough to make the effort :)

I just wish there was an app to unwrap a PCM80 sysex so you can read out the settings without digging through 1.89 trillion PCM menus.

Hi all! I've been trying to get that shimmery/chorus/flangy tone on Grace Under Pressure. I've downloaded the presets that others have created and although they sound good there's just something missing especially since most of those presets were created with a much older version of the firmware. The closest I have found from anyone so far is this clip from SoundCloud which is some sort of amp into a PCM80 - -

This sounds spot on to my ears. Has anyone figured out how to cop the Glide>reverb algorithm on the AF yet?

Thanks all!

If you come up a preset please share, been dying for a Grace Under Pressure preset.

I've been working with this preset that I built and it's much closer than my earlier attempts . . .

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5847

If you're getting loud I'd turn off the drive. The drive brings out the shimmer at lower volume levels to my ears.

Nice and shimmery through my Mackies with a pretty wicked sweep. I'll do my best to match the PCM when it arrives!

Disconnector

Last edited:
Well I got the PCM80 in the loop and I loaded the sysex that AnalogKid85 used for the preset and frankly it's kinda magical. There something so far in the spatial imaging that I haven't found in the Axe - but thats probably due to my ignorance. The tail of the reverb just shimmers and glimmers in a way that I've never really heard outside of a million dollar studio recording. WOW.

There's WAY too much delay in the patch and the PCM80 matrix is a bit impenetrable so far - man what I would give for a real editor for this darn thing! But I'll figure it out :)

Right now I'm calling it a good start but I think the basic stuff that I need is here in this little 1U box of wonder. I can only imagine this running with a TC1210 as well - Tom maybe it's time for the Modulation Adoration visit!

First with no PCM, then with it on. The amp tone is a bit harsh and ugly but frankly I'm really not too worried about that part yet . . . it's the modulation I'm loving here. Rolling the volume knob back at the end gives some pretty amazing tones for a hack like myself to be honest. I'm in love!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom