80's Clean Tones - Preset/Tutorial

As a teenager I came across a collection of Guitar Player Magazines from the 80's, which led to an infatuation for 80's rack gear. Of course we can do all that and more in a 3 space unit these days ;) Preset is on Axechange for anyone who wants to try it!

Anyone have any sweet 80's tone tips they'd like to weigh in with?

Hi! Nice sound! Tried convert it to AX-8 but can't transmit it to AX-8 :-( get error

Incredible sounding preset, Leon. Can you point this ignoramus to Landau and Thompson recordings that would be emblematic of this sound?

For Michael Thompson stuff, check this out. Dude is pretty much synonymous with 80's pop guitar tones (thanks to @Smittefar for getting me onto him).

The holy grail Landau tone is probably tales from the Bulge, but this preset goes for more of the 80's session vibe he would have used with someone like Richard Marx (Repeat Offender album is killer).

I love it :)

This will always be the ultimate Landau tone to me (may be a bit biased by growing up in the 90s)

But listen to those fills - and that solo - It is ridiculously good.

The holy grail Landau tone is probably tales from the Bulge, but this preset goes for more of the 80's session vibe he would have used with someone like Richard Marx (Repeat Offender album is killer).

I think it was Dann Huff worked in the studio w/ Richard Marx !

Hi! Can't find that Recto Cab... Trying to get this sound into my AX-8. Please help! :)
There are many more factory IRs in the Axe Fx III than in the AX-8. You'd probably need to find the York Audio cab pack that it came from and buy it.

There are many more factory IRs in the Axe Fx III than in the AX-8. You'd probably need to find the York Audio cab pack that it came from and buy it.

The Bipolar Cab Pack is worth every cent IMO. I'm so glad the IR's are available stock in the III as they're my go to for just about everything, and include a few choice Ribbon mic's you don't see very often (the Coles 4038 in particular is amazing).

Back
Top Bottom