80's Clean Tones - Preset/Tutorial

Axe-Master
As a teenager I came across a collection of Guitar Player Magazines from the 80's, which led to an infatuation for 80's rack gear. Of course we can do all that and more in a 3 space unit these days ;) Preset is on Axechange for anyone who wants to try it!

Anyone have any sweet 80's tone tips they'd like to weigh in with?

Last edited:
nice. didn't have time to watch the whole vid, so you may have covered these, but with the trichorus, try setting the delay time to 20ms or more. great for that slapback 80's vibe on single note stuff. also try the pitch block (fixed harm) with hicut set to 8000, +9 and -9 detune on each side, zero shift and 505ms and 495ms delay panned left and right. set to poly, of course and about 35% feedback. this will emulate the eventide detuned delays of yore. it's lovely and wide and mixes really well with a clean sound that doesn't have any chorus on it.

there was a massive thread from years ago where we tried to emulate michael landau's rack. it covered the trichorus (now redundant as you have it in the III), but there was some interesting stuff about compressors and circular delays, if memory serves...

was that your, brad?

here was mine...

View attachment 49324

novation remote zero sl on top
mesa 20/20
triaxis
tc g-force
eventide eclipse
tc d2
looperlative lp-1
mixer
lexicon mpx-1
electrix repeater
No I believe that was a permutation of one of Landau’s rigs, unless the inter webs have deceived me...
my rack was pretty modest.. Digitech 2101, SPX 90, Roland JV 880 rack synth,

I noticed on your parallel blocks you used the Level control for the mix... I've only seen people mention using Input Gain for that. I wonder if these have different results in this context?

Sounds very 80s... I lived through it ;)

try setting the delay time to 20ms or more. great for that slapback 80's vibe on single note stuff. also try the pitch block (fixed harm) with hicut set to 8000, +9 and -9 detune on each side, zero shift and 505ms and 495ms delay panned left and right. set to poly, of course and about 35% feedback. this will emulate the eventide detuned delays of yore. it's lovely and wide and mixes really well with a clean sound that doesn't have any chorus on it.

Tried this and could not put the guitar down. That is a gorgeous delay!

Back
Top Bottom