808 Clean Boost Without Mid Hump?

Thinking of maybe buying a physical pedal. I wonder how a Klon type pedal would work for boosting and tightening for metal. Like the Tumnus or Archer pedals.

First of all: Buy the real deal. It works better.

Secondly: Buy a Timmy. Much more gentle in terms of mid boost and the pedal has adjustable Treble\Bass.

Thinking of maybe buying a physical pedal. I wonder how a Klon type pedal would work for boosting and tightening for metal. Like the Tumnus or Archer pedals.

My favourite pre-boost is a Klon style drive a friend made me. I get super close with the following settings in the FET boost drive block;
Drive 2
Tone 8
Level 10
High Cut 6500
Clip Type - Germanium
Mid - +1

Use a filter block and set the low cut wherever it needs to be, just keep bringing it up till things get tight, it’ll vary depending on the amp & IR you’re using. And just raise the output level on the Filter Block for however many dB boost ya want up to +20. I usually like around +8dB .
Or the FET Boost or Preamp is very non coloring plush you can add in more highs with the tone.. same applies with the low cut. Bring the high cut down too. And also try the SDD Preamp. The Preamps (FET & SDD) don’t need a lot of gain, they are powerful, especially when ya raise the output level..
And obviously you can use both Filter Block in front of the Drive block as well, for another layer. I’ll use all three Filter Block->Drive Block & Amp Boost. But I like to bring the Input Trim all the way down usually. This way I have everything from clean to searing lead all on my volume on my guitar. :)

I use FAS Boost most of the time. I think this one is the best for maintaining the amp's tone without coloring it that much.

My favourite pre-boost is a Klon style drive a friend made me. I get super close with the following settings in the FET boost drive block;
Drive 2
Tone 8
Level 10
High Cut 6500
Clip Type - Germanium
Mid - +1
Do you leave the Low Cut at the default setting of 20 Hz?

I could, but it's finding the freq that the 808 is boosting and then lowering it to flat. Actually harder that it sounds because you have to get Q, freq and dB's correct...but still.

Simple. Look at the output in your DAW using a spectrum analyzer. Then, add a PEQ block before the Amp block, and use the spectrum analyzer to help determine the size and (Q) shape of the cut needed. I do this all the time and it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom