8 String Pointers

Just got a RG2228A and am interested in other's experience with the Axe and 8 strings.

Here's a sample of the FAS Modern just noodling around. And the preset.

Would love to know about other people's experiences or suggestions, thanks!

I play a Carvin Dc800 too and i'm really interested in this thread .
Talking about heavy tones I have some trouble in dial in a great sound over the complete range of the frequencies.
The super lows have this kind of muddy feeling ... I had better results involving at the end of the chain a MultiBand Compressor .

I Saw in the past a video from Francesco ( from Italy like me ! ) very skilled musician , I hope to take some good tips from his patch but I don't think it can traslate very well , the firmware was pretty old .

Maschoff would you bee so kind and share the exactly recipe of the Ir's from OH Chinese V30 ?
I have my method to tweak but I like to see how other players do the thing ...
For the last mixes I made , I pick Royer 121, 57 and 70 ... Maybe 100 , 75 and 20 % of each ... Then choosing between T1 or T2
Ribbon 121for the "body" 57 for the "focus" and 70 for the "air " ... The 57 can change from 100% to 50%

Definitely I have to take a look at the Mix ready Ir's but I like to ear and see ... So much work to do !!

Sent from my Heart

Last edited:
Hi Noriuky73,

I've had some success with a multiband compressor at the end as well, especially with my bass. I believe you want a drop of 2-3 dB at 500 hz and a boost at 800 Hz of 1-2 dB. I think it's the low mids that need to be dealt with. Possible at around 1000 hz too. I still have a lot of research to do about what frequencies to tweak for given key signatures.

Yes, I used the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_T1 Live-Vintage.syx and Studio-Modern.syx mixed at 1:1. I believe this was suggested by Scott Peterson, so I'd like to know your thoughts compared to yours.

So many options and things to test, and it all sounds way better than my traditional rig.

I'll check out your recipe and thanks for sharing Noriuky73 :encouragement:

Hi Noriuky73,

I've had some success with a multiband compressor at the end as well, especially with my bass. I believe you want a drop of 2-3 dB at 500 hz and a boost at 800 Hz of 1-2 dB. I think it's the low mids that need to be dealt with. Possible at around 1000 hz too. I still have a lot of research to do about what frequencies to tweak for given key signatures.

Yes, I used the OwnHammer_412_MAR-CB_V30-CH_T1 Live-Vintage.syx and Studio-Modern.syx mixed at 1:1. I believe this was suggested by Scott Peterson, so I'd like to know your thoughts compared to yours.

So many options and things to test, and it all sounds way better than my traditional rig.

I'll check out your recipe and thanks for sharing Noriuky73 :encouragement:

Hi Maschoff , many thanks for your reply!!

Here is one of my presets made with my Carvin DC 800 (Active Carvin A80 PUs )

Axe-Change - Download Preset - DC800 JAZ120 VINT PUSHED - by noriuky73

It's a Clean \ Crunch patch with a Roland Jazz 120 Amp , I use a Stereo Cab with 2 of my earlier recipes done with CabLab ... the recipe of Cab Lab mixer is in Axe Change preset description... A Vintage Jensen Ownhammer with a Modern EV-L Ownhammer 412 marshall Cabs panned center in Cab Block and either 0db
Also I lowered the imput trim of the amp because of the Hot signal of Carvin Active pickups so maybe You have to adjust it to Yours, I let engaged my NoiseGate in Drive involved scenes .... this patch translate well with every of the pU position selected

I like it because of the Vintage Old style flavor of these sounds ... not the tipical target of our forum mates with an 8 strings
8 scenes involved with different modulation effect and a BBpre as Drive , no scene controller ... Enjoy !!!

Of Course I have some High Gain patch dialed for my 8 strings ...HBE and Boogie side but I want to make some tests before sharing

I use quite different guitars on the Axe so I have a good time dialing things for everyone Hoping that some forum mate shares his knoledge with us .... Taming the Monster !!! Yes our 8strings guitar !!! ;)

Last but not list I test my sound with a pair of Event monitor, no FrFr , really good studio monitors IMHO ... I think to remember that Cliff said in some post he uses the same for monitoring purpose .

With pretty much any amp model I use I find that I need to cut the bass and gain more than I initially expect to. Also, drive block in front of the amp. I'd definitely start there rather than jumping into multi-band compression.

I generally drop the bass setting on the amp down to around 2 or 3.
Gain, depending on the amp, is usually from 2.5-4 (FAS Modern seems more gainy than equivalent amps such as the Recto. I usually have the gain on the low end of that range for it specifically)
Adjust presence to taste.
I occasionally turn on cut in addition to that.
Drive block (808 or 808 mod), the usual: drive off, level up around 8.5-10, tone 5+
Sometimes I'll add a peq block after the cab, blocking below anywhere from 80-130

And, quite possibly my biggest recommendation: fiddle with settings for 15 minutes, take a break for a bit, then come back to fiddling.

With pretty much any amp model I use I find that I need to cut the bass and gain more than I initially expect to. Also, drive block in front of the amp. I'd definitely start there rather than jumping into multi-band compression.

I generally drop the bass setting on the amp down to around 2 or 3.
Gain, depending on the amp, is usually from 2.5-4 (FAS Modern seems more gainy than equivalent amps such as the Recto. I usually have the gain on the low end of that range for it specifically)
Adjust presence to taste.
I occasionally turn on cut in addition to that.
Drive block (808 or 808 mod), the usual: drive off, level up around 8.5-10, tone 5+
Sometimes I'll add a peq block after the cab, blocking below anywhere from 80-130

And, quite possibly my biggest recommendation: fiddle with settings for 15 minutes, take a break for a bit, then come back to fiddling.

Thanks Lern2swim !
Your rules are general rules or You apply this rules for 8strings guitar ?

Sent from my Heart

Hi Noriuky73,

I'm about to check out your patch but I was wondering whether the first recipe for the J12-CN was with the SS, T1 or T2? First, vintage 412MArCab J12 _Cn, Dyn57 -2db, Dyn421 0db and CND70 -5db

Thanks and good questions above :encouragement:

Hi Noriuky73,

I'm about to check out your patch but I was wondering whether the first recipe for the J12-CN was with the SS, T1 or T2? First, vintage 412MArCab J12 _Cn, Dyn57 -2db, Dyn421 0db and CND70 -5db

Thanks and good questions above :encouragement:

Hi Maschoff , I'm not in front of my PC but I'm pretty sure that my Jensen recipe for this is Vintage SS
Hope This patch translate well with your Ibanez ;)

Sent from my Heart

Thanks Lern2swim !
Your rules are general rules or You apply this rules for 8strings guitar ?

I only have 8 string guitars right now, so those are some general rules that have applied to all the 8 string guitars I've head (4 now) on my Axe FX, and in general.

Also, I should have mentioned that that's for recording. For live performance I'd most likely up the gain, since there wouldn't be any double tracking involved.

Hi Noriuky73,

Thanks, that patch is very nice for cleans and vintage tones like you stated. A lot of fun :)

I noticed I hadn't updated my patch so here it is with the same IR stated above.

I used the T1 so I'll try the SS now.

Hi Noriuky73,

Thanks, that patch is very nice for cleans and vintage tones like you stated. A lot of fun :)

I noticed I hadn't updated my patch so here it is with the same IR stated above.

I used the T1 so I'll try the SS now.

Thanks Maschoff , tomorrow I'll give it a try :)

I noticed a general smoothness in the SS Ir's very nice for clean sound ... This same smoothness tend to translate not so good on my High Gain sounds... But the Ir's world is so Huge and I only scratched the surface
In this wonderful forum I found tons of irs...

I ' m working I'm a father and a Husband , I'm a part-time musician .... I need 40 hours per day!!!!!!

P.s. Sorry for my poor English .. Hope that is understandable ;)

Sent from my Heart

This how I like my 8 string rhythm sounds.
Kinda based on meshuggah's live tone.
You will need the 4x12 metal Ir made by a dude called clawfinger.
It's out there for free but I can't upload it now.
Let me know if you can't find it.
Anyhow, add the 121 mic or change it to the u67 when you need more lows.
I usually add 15% room in the cab block for all my high gain sounds.
Low cut to about 40hz, hi cut 10 or 11 khz.

Then for the amp block, take the recto red modern.
Gain at about 5 (varies per guitar or pick-ups) bass at 10, treble at 10, mid at about 4.3 and hi cut set to about 0.8.
Add a tubescreamer 808.
Set gain to 0, tone to 9 or 10 and level to 10.
Then in the drive block set the bass knob to about -6 db.
This is how you get your clarity combined with heavyness.
If you have too much gain just turn down the amp gain.
Also, good gate settings are required.
-70 db, ratio of 4 or 5, attack and release as fast as possible.
Then tweak to suit your needs.
I hope this helps.

This how I like my 8 string rhythm sounds.
Kinda based on meshuggah's live tone.
You will need the 4x12 metal Ir made by a dude called clawfinger.
It's out there for free but I can't upload it now.
Let me know if you can't find it.
Anyhow, add the 121 mic or change it to the u67 when you need more lows.
I usually add 15% room in the cab block for all my high gain sounds.
Low cut to about 40hz, hi cut 10 or 11 khz.

Then for the amp block, take the recto red modern.
Gain at about 5 (varies per guitar or pick-ups) bass at 10, treble at 10, mid at about 4.3 and hi cut set to about 0.8.
Add a tubescreamer 808.
Set gain to 0, tone to 9 or 10 and level to 10.
Then in the drive block set the bass knob to about -6 db.
This is how you get your clarity combined with heavyness.
If you have too much gain just turn down the amp gain.
Also, good gate settings are required.
-70 db, ratio of 4 or 5, attack and release as fast as possible.
Then tweak to suit your needs.
I hope this helps.

Is this the link?

Just wondering, what's everyone's guitar volume control setting? The recording I made was at 50% and tone was also at 50%.

Just wondering, what's everyone's guitar volume control setting? The recording I made was at 50% and tone was also at 50%.

Hi Maschoff , generally speaking with high gain the guitar volume must be at 100 % IMO
The guitar have to push preamps for "natural" saturation plus the pre itself need to be pretty hot.

I think the volume and tone roll off are for the clean crunch staff were the amp and the pre that workin in " relaxed cold mode" reacts better to the decrease of signal than a hot pre .

In real amp you can reach a beautiful crunch pushing the master so the pre it's "cold" and you can roll off your guitar volume but very high gain stuff needs hot pre so that thing don't work very well ...

Sent from my Heart

Back
Top Bottom