8 string guitars?

Kamaleon

Experienced
anyone have experience with finding or buying a GOOD 8 stringer?

ive been waiting months for a dc-800 carvin was just told another month... !!!!! kiuuuuuunts!

any other good builders?

Like I offered before, if you are ever in Canberra you are welcome to try out my Agile. For the money I am very happy...

here's an idea- buy the cheap ibanez 8 string for $400

then play that for a month or two- if you still like it and want a better one then boom carvin is yours

you can still sell the ibanez for what you paid for it AND you don't have a $1000-2000 guitar you absolutely hate that you're suck with.

Wish I bought the $400 ibanez instead of the nicer quilted top one-

hated it

Like I offered before, if you are ever in Canberra you are welcome to try out my Agile. For the money I am very happy...

yes! i do remember mate and thanks, which model did u get and how much was the shipping?

here's an idea- buy the cheap ibanez 8 string for $400

then play that for a month or two- if you still like it and want a better one then boom carvin is yours

you can still sell the ibanez for what you paid for it AND you don't have a $1000-2000 guitar you absolutely hate that you're suck with.

Wish I bought the $400 ibanez instead of the nicer quilted top one-

hated it

very good point mate, might just get the iron label and see what happens

i should also mention- i paid a little more than i wanted to for the 8 string
i had the rga8 with the quilted maple top- i still probably got a steal on how much i paid- but it was more than i wanted to put into it-

i wanted to try out the 8 but i thought well the nicer one has the locking nut and FLOYD ROSE w/fine tuners so i got it

i said to the guy 'where's the whammy bar' and i looked- no hole for one even

and he said they don't even make them yet-

so really there was no improvement on the $399 one vs the $800+ one

after playing it- i hated it and it was really tough to sell

so buy the cheapest one you can get
play around with it AT HOME (home is different than a music store)
and then ditch it if you hated it and sell it and upgrade if you love it

its worth the $400 gamble
i'd hate to see you spend 4x that and wait 4 months and hate it

Have you seen Tosin Abasi's new signature? I'm currently drooling over that one.

Shame it's so expensive though. If I was gonna spend that kind of money on a guitar, I'd probably just go to a local custom shop and have something made exactly how I want it. :|

Have you checked out Agile guitars? I don't know if they ship to where you live but I got an Agile Septor 7 String Elite (ebony fingerboard and EMG 707s) that was a B stock for only $500 (normally they're like $800). It was a B stock cause there was a minor scratch on it that I couldn't even find the first few times I looked for it. It plays like a $1500 guitar easily (I don't know how they get the prices so low for this quality). I also got one with a 30 inch scale I quite like. You might want to check out longer scale lengths especially if you're considering an 8 string. If you google around there's a guitar tech in Sweden (who works on Meshuggah's guitars) and he has a page where he compares Agile 8 Strings to Ibanez 8 strings.

I own a Ibanez RG2228, sometimes I regret buying it. It's a decent instrument, but it costs too much.
The neck is so thin it get's very unstable. Can't really put thicker strings on it either.
The reason why I would buy a Blackjack SLS is because it's the most "bang-for-the-buck" you will get from a 8 string guitar, great pickups, suggested scale length and great features not seen in any other guitar.
Honestly I think it's dead cheap.
The competitors are either too expensive or have poor design. Using a 27" inch scale length just makes the F# sounds sloppy.
Meshuggah actually uses 29,4" scale length and double truss rod on their newest model, probably for a reason. But they tune one half-step down.
More info here
That's just my opinion though ;)
I actually tried selling my Ibanez to afford the Blackjack. No luck so far :p

Horrible review here, but you can hear how "tight" the strings sound compared to a 27" instrument
Notice the through body holes are not 100% aligned, compensating for easier intonation.
Seems to me they really thought this one through. The earlier 8 string models from schecter was rubbish.
Damnit, I wish I had the money to buy this instrument! :(

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback spazi. im thining more 29+ to make it tighter although as you said tookfanem il def jam on a 29 neck b4 i take the plunge

when the guy in the video said "you need this guitar to get those tones" was he taken the piss

You should look into multiscaled or fanned fret guitars.

Tosin has a Strandberg guitar with 28" - 26.5" scale length and it sounds great too :)
You can order a custom one, doesn't cost more than a really expensive 8 string. But there is a waiting list :(
If you want a production model, Washburn custom shop makes a model called Boden 8

A friend of mine talked warmly about Mayones, and they also have a custom shop ;)

How to Order Production Models | .strandberg* Guitars

I've played a Schecter C-1 classic for several years now and was found my Agile to have a much higher quality build (they're both made in South Korea) when I got it. I haven't played a recent Schecter so I don't know if things have changed over the years though.

Back
Top Bottom