Wish 8 channels

The other thing I thought of which came up in a similar wish for more channels: this would break existing presets for those using midi controllers to change/select channels because that function uses a midi CC plus a data value that is modulo 4.

The other thing I thought of which came up in a similar wish for more channels: this would break existing presets for those using midi controllers to change/select channels because that function uses a midi CC plus a data value that is modulo 4.
Similar problem to the improvement in the amp block: we have to check & audition setting!

The unused block, in my idea, does not count. The default 4 channels is the same as previous fixed 4 channel. If we disable 2 channel, we have only A & B and the midi use mod 2 (fake alternate). If we use all 8, mod 8. Preserve actual behaviour & function, with an option to expand or limit the channel (per preset).
I don't like to add complexity, but this approach allow each user to tailor channels & presets to his own needs.

Let's merge the idea.
8 channels, each channel have a flag: used/unused. An unused channel has not stored parameters, it's no useable in the patch/scene. A ghost!
I'd say the chances of this happening are between zero and none ;)

Aside from being very complicated to "manage", I don't think that will fit the paradigm Fractal uses to store the presets.

Maybe I'm wrong...
I think you're right!
So I raise: the default is ABCD used EFGH unused, the authentic page show only used channels, like vintage firmware (pre 21.0). Advance page allow to change the flag status of all the channel except A (always used)! Cliff will have an epiphany with only one channel active. The radiation from channel will interact with the atmosphere, and the amp will "breath and chug" more. ;)

I am not very enthusiastic with the solution ABCD always enabled and EFGH enabled or disabled.

I would prefer to have the 8 channels always enabled (always ready), but having the ability of loading a "no FX" or "no AMP"or "no CAB" in it. That would save CPU. But I suppose, as unix-guy says, the chance are near zero, because Fractal could do it since the first day.

I am not very enthusiastic with the solution ABCD always enabled and EFGH enabled or disabled.
Each channel could be disabled. The default, for compatibility previous firmware patch, should be 4 channel.

Also you confuse "memory" with "CPU". The number of channels does not affect cpu, only memory (dimension).

Similar problem to the improvement in the amp block: we have to check & audition setting!
Not the same thing... The amp block changing adjusting settings inside the Axe Fx.

The midi specification changing affects 3rd party devices that are "integrated" with the Axe Fx III. That would break the way they function.

It isn't the end of the world... But it would be what you call a "breaking change".

Each channel could be disabled. The default, for compatibility previous firmware patch, should be 4 channel.

Also you confuse "memory" with "CPU". The number of channels does not affect cpu, only memory (dimension).
I believe it would affect both "memory" (RAM used by the "live" preset) and non-volatile storage (space used to store the preset on the Axe Fx).

That is another concern with adding more channels: the fixed size of ALL presets becomes larger because the preset must reserve space for all potential channels of each block. That's my recollection of previous discussions.

I recall people with the Axe Fx II getting corrupt presets because there was too much "stuff" in their presets.

I believe it would affect both "memory" (RAM used by the "live" preset) and non-volatile storage (space used to store the preset on the Axe Fx).

That is another concern with adding more channels: the fixed size of ALL presets becomes larger because the preset must reserve space for all potential channels of each block. That's my recollection of previous discussions.

I recall people with the Axe Fx II getting corrupt presets because there was too much "stuff" in their presets.
That's up to Cliff (or developers) use RAM in DSP (different from PC, no OS to handle memory, direct access, faster, but you have to program each operation and compute address).
For non volatile, both fixed or variable parameters stored are doable. Variable could save lot of space, but it comes at a price (programming and retrieve).

Let's discuss feature, not HOW fractal can do firmware. I think it is more helpfull for us and Cliff...

I know the difference. Anyway, thanks for your explanation! :)

A reflection at this point of the thread:
Probably the jump from 4 channels to 8 channels is too big.
Maybe a jump from 4 channels to 6 channels is more pragmatic.
6 channels and 8 scenes is a versatile configuration. It would be enough to me.
The 95% of the presets I use don't have more than 6 scenes...

I've started using my FM3 more and more and this would be pretty much my only wish, it mainly because I'm a spoilt axefx3 user as well. So +1 from me.

Back
Top Bottom