8.09 Standard auto re-boot

craiguitar

Power User
This is worrying.

Since updating my Standard to 8.09, every once in a while my unit re-boots itself during patch changes. Previously this only happened when using the value wheel whilst messing about at home, so I thought, well thats not such a big deal, as I change patches during live shows via MIDI so it won't cause me any embarassment.

BUT, now it has started happening when I change patches with MIDI as well. Only occasionally, but it is worrisome. I am unsure if it is changes from/to specific patches that is causing this, or if it is totally random.

Is anyone else suffering this :?:

I'm on 8.09 (Ultra) and had an auto-reboot happen a few days ago while editing a patch (on the Axe-Fx, not using the editor). It happened when I added a delay block. I went back and tried to retrace my steps to recreate the issue, but no luck. I never had this happen before and I've tried most firmwares since version 5. Maybe something to do with recent code changes? I'm sure Cliff can fix it, if someone can figure out a way to reproduce the issue.

Happens to my Ultra frequently. I haven't been able to determine any specific trigger for it. I'm assuming for now that it's a mains problem since I'm running the Ultra off the same wall socket as my computer and all my peripherals. Tried it on a different wall socket the other day for about an hour and had no problems but it's too early tell if that's the source of the issue.

Ah, so those of us who have experienced this cannot find a common trigger for it.

I'm certain it is not mains related. I run mine through a power conditioner and all my other rack gear doesn't reboot. This makes me more certain it is a bug in 8.09, but doen't affect everyone.... It happened to me while changing between two factory presets so I have dismissed the idea it could be one of my presets being the cause.

I would back up my presets and then set the axe-fx back to factory. (load the latest abc banks - update presets)

See if it happens with the stock presets. This way you can rule out if its hardware or your presets.

I might have to try that. It's a time consuming exercise but would at least show where the problem is coming from. The only issue here is that as things stand it doesn't always happen. I can have one or two days where it doesn't happen. Do I bite the bullet :?:

Well not yet. Firstly I wanted to find out if it was a common / known issue. No point unneccesarily contacting support if somebody else already has, and found a solution.

Well, to start off with, I've re-installed 8.09, and re-installed all my patches from my editor backup.
Now I'll wait & see if i've re-installed my little bug as well. A bit of patch changing last night using the jog wheel & via MIDI and it seemed pretty stable. So far so good. Like I said though, it was fairly sporadic, so It will take a while to establish it is fixed.

craiguitar said:
Well, to start off with, I've re-installed 8.09,
Reinstalling firmware, presets, etc., never helps. If the firmware file is corrupted, the checksum will be bad, and the Axe-Fx will not write the file to EPROM. Ditto presets and IRs.

Jay Mitchell said:
craiguitar said:
Well, to start off with, I've re-installed 8.09,
Reinstalling firmware, presets, etc., never helps. If the firmware file is corrupted, the checksum will be bad, and the Axe-Fx will not write the file to EPROM. Ditto presets and IRs.

True but, Presets can become corrupt for a variety of reasons. It has happened to me. Reloading them with known good ones can help at times. Firmware would be really difficult to corrupt and would probably render the Axe-fx DOA. Fractal support can guide people on when this is most appropriate. He should contact support. They can help narrow this down.

My Ultra has just done this again, this time connected to a different mains outlet. Seems like a firmware issue. Either that or the electrics in my house are screwy (no problems evident with any other equipment though).

Im using the ultra and found when playing live,somtimes (twice so far) when using an exp pedal to control whatever parameter its pointed to, the axe will change preset up one number. Its like it cant handle the midi commands and just goes up a preset. It only happens when using an exp pedal..in my case a shimmer path.

Mick

MickUF said:
Im using the ultra and found when playing live,somtimes (twice so far) when using an exp pedal to control whatever parameter its pointed to, the axe will change preset up one number. Its like it cant handle the midi commands and just goes up a preset. It only happens when using an exp pedal..in my case a shimmer path.

Mick

Are you using a liquid foot?

Back
Top Bottom