8.05 Issue.

So I just updated to the newest firmware, and was all excited like everyone else, but what I noticed right away was that the distortion patches were weaker. My main rhythm sound is a Mark IIC and a Mark IV with a super OD set to a light boost, yet it sounds so weak, just like a very light overdrive. Turning up the volume doesn't do anything and I've tried a different cable and another guitar. Any help would be much appreciated!

I might be wrong, but I believe that the release notes said that on certain od that the gain structure was re-done to more closely represent the intended pedal, and that you will need to audition your patches. I don't have any of the effected pedals in a patch so I updated and everything is good.

It's in the release notes.

Changed Drive block Drive control to replicate range of modeled device. Previously the Drive control had a range of 40 dB irrespective of the model. Now the Drive control range varies from 20 dB to 40 dB depending on the model. NOTE: exisiting presets will likely sound different and should be auditioned.
The following models are affected by this change:
- SUPER OD
- TS808 OD
- TS808 MOD
- FULL OD
- SHRED DIST
- BENDER FUZZ

Yeah I read all that. But the thing is, is that the entire patch sounds weak. Its a heavily distorted patch, two high gain amps with an overdrive should not sound like a clean amp with a SD-1. Even without the OD, it should still have more gain than it does.

So you read the release notes and then you made changes to the gain level on the drive you used? Or you read the release notes and just played your patch without any tweaks?

I made the tweaks, but it still wasn't what it was. I shouldn't have to max out the gain on the amps to get it mostly there. I tried to work around it, but then I lost my tone. When I raised the gain level on the OD, it just became nasally and not warm and smooth like it was. The sustain was also just not there.

From which firmware version did you upgrade? Nothing has changed in the amp blocks for a while so I suspect you've got another issue.

Nothing changed in the amp modeling from 8.02. Check your cables, input level control, input volume assignment, etc. It's not the firmware.

Double check your input gain, make sure your gate isn't sucking your input signal either... If that doesn't work... Reload the amp, drive and cab blocks by switching to another amp/drive/cab then switch back, then adjust to taste. Do you get the same thing by switching to another patch?

Devastationdynasty said:
All distortion patches are like that. Once again, odd isn't it?
Active pickups? Maybe you need a new battery? Have you tried to roll back to 8.02 and see if you have the same issue? What about cleans, how do they sound?

The cleans are fine. And I have fresh batteries in two of my guitars with active pickups. Checked cables, unplugged my wah and whammy. The surge protector is brand new, its fine. rolled back to 8.02, seems fine now. Will have to wait till later to see and a better volume how it is.

Do you a wah in your patch? All my patches have the wah bypassed as the first effect and after the update, they were "stuck" on. I couldn't bypass them so I had to select another effect for that spot and then go back to the wah so that I could bypass the wah. Patches were sounding thin until I figured it out.

Seems like something else has been changed in your setup as well (maybe by accident). You can downgrade back to 8.02 and double check if everything's as expected. If not, double-check your input levels/gate/etc.

Check that you don't have any modifiers changing your settings from external controllers. These now start at maximum instead of minimum, until changed.

Back
Top Bottom