8.02 to 10.01 back to 8.02 fixed the mud lost the sparkle

Metal1993

Inspired
I upgraded as I heard all the good things about it. But when I did the edge i felt in 8.02 was lost. The same as when version 9.x was out. its not a night and day things but there is a edge a razor wire scratch to the sound I cant get from 9 or 10. Is it just me or have others noticed it as well? May some like the smoothness but for me and for playing 80's metal and hard rock it just wont do for my sound.

To me the variability from model to model already got better in Q9.04 and now got even increased with Q10.
Maybe some models you like got softer or need more master volume now or alike?
Maybe you should walk trough all of the models to find your harder ones?
I use fractool for that, the amp compare function, fast and easy.

I've noticed the pick attack is a bit less harsh on V10, thankfully. Used to bug me and I'd end up eq'ing out the highs to get rid of it.

If you are happy with v8 though, just stay on v8.

Ive been on 9.02 for a long time, I tried 9.04 and didn't click with it, I've been going back and forth between 9.02 and 10.01 this weekend and I'm staying with 10.01. When I go back to 9.02 now it sounds very compressed and muffled. But as far as having to be on the latest and greatest I stay with what works for me not with what everyone is running. If you have found your tone in a V8 firmware stay with it!

The problem is everything sounded like there was a blanket on it when i went from 8 to 10. No matter what i did I could not get that blanket off my sound. Also it sounded very muddy as well, the pick attack was gone as well. I took 10 off went back to 8. as I said. And then sat on it for a night and listed again, and 8 sounds like a barn burner. Its that same sound issue i had when 9 came out and now 10. What is it that changed to drastically to make the sound so much different?

Hey, whatever works for you. My ears tell me that Ares-lite sounds better, and is actually more crisp and clear....and 80s hard rock is where I live (or would prefer to, anyway).

Hey, whatever works for you. My ears tell me that Ares-lite sounds better, and is actually more crisp and clear....and 80s hard rock is where I live (or would prefer to, anyway).
I'm on 9.02.....Is 10 a drastic "mess up all my patches" update or minor tweak situation?

Moke (preset creator extraordinaire) said no tweaks needed. I haven't made any changes to mine so far. ymmv

Between 9.02 and 9.04 there were some tone changes. The new 'Speaker Comp' parameter was added (and 'Transformer Grind' was removed). 'Speaker Comp' uses the same saved value as the parameter that it replaced (Speaker Drive?). Which changed the tone and the level of the preset, depending on the value of that parameter? So going from 9.02 (or older) to 10.01 is going to change your presets. How much will depend on how (or if) you used the removed/replaced parameters.

Then there is the issue of resetting the Amp block. If you have reset it each time that it was advised and have not missed any updates, then you don't have to for this one. If you have not, or missed/skipped any updates then you will likely have old, outdated defaults in your presets. And resetting will be required, and will further alter your tone.

It is hugely important to carefully read the release notes for all of the updates between the version that you are on, and the version you are going to, to see what has changed and if resetting is required.

Last edited:
The problem is everything sounded like there was a blanket on it when i went from 8 to 10.

I suggest posting an A/B clip so we can hear what you're talking about. I didn't get a chance to go to 10.01 over the weekend, but I'll be on it soon!!

@Moke , I really didn't mean to put words in your mouth or anything, honest! I was referring to this post:

Had a chance to check out 10.01 today for the a bit. Backed up everything first (of course).

The high-end seemed more articulate, without being harsh. The low-end seemed more controlled. Like you could get away with more without it getting out of hand?

The best news of all is.... It didn't wreck any of my 600+ presets!!! :D:cool: They all seem to sound as good or better.

Ok as moke suggested. I redid the install of 10.0.1 and made sure on the presets i used i choose another amp other than the one that was there then put the normal amp back and listed. I recorded the a song using 10.0.1 and then installed 8.02 and recorded the same song, and the mud was gone but what i did gain on the 8.02 was the sparkel. there is a touch of well sparkel on on 8 that i cant get on 10 but at least the mud is gone. So now how do i get the sparkel back on the high end?

To get the tones more in your face increase negative feedback, presence and poweramp hardness and decrease x-former match a bit and maybe turn all down harmonics.
That's more about making it jump out of the monitors, instead of simply adding highs with eqs or turning up brightness.
For harder behavior I also like KT88 or 6550 poweramp tubes, but that's more about growl and clearer mids...don't forget to retweak poweramp hardness again when you changed the tubes, because it gets reset to individual defaults for each type.

Loved 8.02 but those axe edit timeout messages drive me crazy. Im on 9.04 now and have had no timeout messages. Havnt gone to 10. Will try it soon but form the samples ive heard i dont really like the low end seems to be missing something. I realize i can probably dial it back in but im pretty happy with most of my patches and dont have time to redo them. Still i will try it.

Back
Top Bottom