700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

Hi @austinbuddy I plan on purchasing the pack later today. I play in two different bands - a classic rock band and a horn band that does R&B and blues. I have been using about 14 presets that cover what I need pretty well. My thought is to audition various amps in your pack that are similar to the amp I’m using in a particular preset and replace the amp and cab blocks with yours as needed. Should I copy your preset and just add my effects to it or can I just replace the amp and cab blocks in my existing presets with yours? I know for some of your presets I will also replace the drive block with yours. Thanks man.

Hi curious: I would find a naked amp sound you like, then copy the amp block and cab block from it into your existing presets, then adjust your drive block(s) to taste — and be good to go! Remember every amp preset has a Scene 1 AND 2, so check both out!

(Damn phone auto-correct)

Last edited:
So I just had to share this message from the United Kingdom that popped into my email box today:

I'm digging the amp pack so much. I was ready to sell my axe fx at one point because i just couldn't get it to sound any good but your amp pack is the 'dog's bollocks', as we say in the uk (which is a good thing).

Made my day! Play on!

Another way to bring the more detailed mids and upper mids back under firmware 9.04 is to use the passive 5 band EQ in the amp block, while taking SPKR COMP down to 1 or zero.

A little goes a long way, but add 0.5 db to 1.0 db to the mids and upper mids using that 5 band passive EQ and see what you think...

Think I’m going to have to grab this pack this week, and probably go back to 8.02/9.02. I’ve been sitting on the Tucana so long I think I’ve probably tweaked myself to a stand still and having trouble hearing that magic that I know this box can produce when it comes to all the other amps.

Wow!! I’m absolutely blown away by how good my black box sounds once again. I’m never dialing in my own presets ever again. Thanks so much.

And to think I was considering going back to a Mark V again.

Just ordered these and it was well worth it! Focused mainly on the vintage amps and got exactly what I was looking for. The Dwezil Bassman is awesome along with the Wreckers. The Keef preset in the bonus pack is a standout. Austin buddy responded to my email questions fast. The 9.2 version was fine and needed very little tweaks.

I bought the pack and absolutely love it. I may have used like six presets, but for the cost of 1/2 of any pedal that use to be switched on my board every six weeks, this purchase is a no-brainer! MHO

I agree with the above comments... just to have 6-8 tones dialed in makes it worth it. I have bought presets I loved before I bought this, but I have been able to recreate what I think is MY tone from the ground up with the amp pack.

So is this ever going to get updated to the latest firmware version? I keep thinking about buying it but don’t feel like jumping through hoops to make it sound best on the latest firmware.

Hey everyone: For those of you who really want to use 9.04 firmware with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, based on lots of testing and also using ARES on a III, here is what I recommend you do for your Ax8 or Axe-FX

1. Install the 9.04 firmware.

2. Use the 9.02 700+Naked Amps TonePack version and install it.

3. For any Class-A amps (amps with negative feedback, these will show a "zero" value on the amp page - like Vox, Morgans, Matchless, some Dr. Zs, etc.) those are fine. Leave them alone - they are good to go as is.

4. Play the other presets. If you like what you hear, then you are good to go.

5. But if you are like me, you may want a little more definition in the upper mids. Rather than using Bass/Middle/Treble, I've found there are two ways to get that extra upper mid lift that was present in 8.02 I love so much but isn't there when running 9.04 with the presets.

You can either

A) go into an amp block and add 0.50 to 1db at the 4Khz area - that will give you the missing presence.

OR

B) go into the negative feedback parameter in the amp block for each amp (X/Y) you want to brighten, and add at least "1 to 2" to the value there (to taste). For example, if the amp negative feedback is set to 2.5, try a value 3.5 and see if you like that better. The higher the number, the brighter the amp will get.

Most people like the TonePack just as they are, but on 9.04, the non-Class-A amps they are a little darker than dialed in originally under 8.02 -- unless you do the above. Just some tips.

Also, an update: I'm focused on creating an expanded TonePack version for the Axe-III that is already approaching 1000+ distinct tones! It will contain every sound in the current TonePack -- but adds a lot more and expands on some classic and modern amps. So every amp will have at least two tones still, but some will have as many as 12 shades of tones.

Because I have to match using the 2048 new factory cabs (I still use Legacy ones too that sound great), this one is taking some time to complete but as of now, I expect it will become available sometime in June. The AxeIII-Editor being built out is an essential part on getting the product done properly, and that is coming along nicely by Fractal. Have to say I am LOVING the Axe-III -- so much power, naming of scenes is extremely helpful for TonePack stuff, and it sounds amazing! Cheers!

Hey everyone: For those of you who really want to use 9.04 firmware with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, based on lots of testing and also using ARES on a III, here is what I recommend you do for your Ax8 or Axe-FX

1. Install the 9.04 firmware.

2. Use the 9.02 700+Naked Amps TonePack version and install it.

3. For any Class-A amps (amps with negative feedback, these will show a "zero" value on the amp page - like Vox, Morgans, Matchless, some Dr. Zs, etc.) those are fine. Leave them alone - they are good to go as is.

4. Play the other presets. If you like what you hear, then you are good to go.

5. But if you are like me, you may want a little more definition in the upper mids. Rather than using Bass/Middle/Treble, I've found there are two ways to get that extra upper mid lift that was present in 8.02 I love so much but isn't there when running 9.04 with the presets.

You can either

A) go into an amp block and add 0.50 to 1db at the 4Khz area - that will give you the missing presence.

OR

B) go into the negative feedback parameter in the amp block for each amp (X/Y) you want to brighten, and add at least "1 to 2" to the value there (to taste). For example, if the amp negative feedback is set to 2.5, try a value 3.5 and see if you like that better. The higher the number, the brighter the amp will get.

Most people like the TonePack just as they are, but on 9.04, the non-Class-A amps they are a little darker than dialed in originally under 8.02 -- unless you do the above. Just some tips.

Also, an update: I'm focused on creating an expanded TonePack version for the Axe-III that is already approaching 1000+ distinct tones! It will contain every sound in the current TonePack -- but adds a lot more and expands on some classic and modern amps. So every amp will have at least two tones still, but some will have as many as 12 shades of tones.

Because I have to match using the 2048 new factory cabs (I still use Legacy ones too that sound great), this one is taking some time to complete but as of now, I expect it will become available sometime in June. The AxeIII-Editor being built out is an essential part on getting the product done properly, and that is coming along nicely by Fractal. Have to say I am LOVING the Axe-III -- so much power, naming of scenes is extremely helpful for TonePack stuff, and it sounds amazing! Cheers!
It’s awesome that you are working on presets for the III. But in all honesty there’s a lot more AX8 and II users than III users who are potential customers. But I personally won’t bite until they are updated. I’m looking for something I can just peruse through looking for tones I like without tweaking first to get to the intended tone. I’m probably not alone in this thinking. And since there seems to be little to no talk of future improvements from Fractal, 9.04 might be the last firmware update we see. At least anytime soon.

Hi, I bought the pack back days.... this is wondeful, the sound is really cool! , I uninstall the 9.04 firmware and installI the 8.02 version.
I do not regret it, it's really worth it.

So if there are these disadvantages with 9.04, what are the advantages? Surely there must be some? (I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, but since there is all this talk about it here....). For me personally I am waiting for my AX8 which I have paid for and I am told the latest batch has landed here in Australia, and we're waiting for Customs clearance. I will be buying a couple of Austin Buddy's packs. But now I need info to decide which is the best firmware version, taking everything into account.

Back
Top Bottom