700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

Hi Leon, thank you so much for taking time to do this great demo video!

A good walk through of some fun tones, and you quickly figured out my real "wheelhouse" (as we say here in America) -- vintage and boutique stuff. Love that the AX8 can accurately reproduce those amp sounds just as well as modern ones -- just have to dial it in right.

As viewers can say, the TonePack makes your AX8 into "Plug and play." I really did think of record producers and inspiring sounds as I put it all together over six months early this year.

I'll be reposting this video to a few places...thank you again for generously taking time to review it, and cheers!

AustinBuddy's 700+ Naked Amps TonePack is the perfect tool for record producers and engineers who want every Fractal amp model available, in mono and dialed-in "dry", or for artists and guitarists looking for new inspiration through auditioning multiple amp sounds. This collection makes it easier for you to find and enjoy the tones and amps you love, and is available for both 8.02 and 9.02 firmware versions!

CLICK HERE TO BUY!
Preset-Pack-Naked-Amps-Box-Design-268x300.png

WHAT YOU GET
Over 700 "ready to go" and unique tones covered in over 400 dialed-in presets that span every amp modeled in the AX8 under firmware Quantum 8.02 or 9.02. The presets were designed for the AX8 and use a footswitch-assigned drive block (defaults to off) and a footswtich-assigned Scene 1/2 block to switch between tones within a preset. Only factory cabs were used.

The Naked Amps TonePack is organized into three different banks for loading: Vintage & Boutique Amps, Modern Amps, and Clean Sounds. Vintage amps are ordered chronologically.

This TonePack will save you countless hours of time in setting up, programming, and auditioning from-scratch presets.

Each preset includes two scenes of every amp channel modeled by Fractal Audio in the AX8. Presets nomenclature uses the name of the real-life counterpart amp modeled.* Different factory cabs were often chosen within in the same preset, demonstrating how much cab choice affects the tone.

Check out the blog post here for more details on how this amazing and comprehensive TonePack was created.

BONUS PRESETS!

As an added bonus, AustinBuddy's 700+ Naked Amps TonePack also includes 40 Classic Rock and Old-School Blues TonePack of his own design for the Axe-Fx and AX8, with detailed on instructions on the kind of guitar used and settings to recreate each iconic tone on FRFR monitors.

This is the preset collection you've been waiting for, and will help you get the most out of your Fractal and save you hours of time and provide your playing with endless inspiration.

You can use Axe-Edit's Preset Manager to load and auto-audition presets into your AX8. and copy what you love to your Fractal unit's memory for live and recording use. See the blog for video instructions on how to load the TonePack for your Fractal.

You can only buy the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack at AustinBuddy's on-line store.

* Legal Disclaimer: Manufacturer, artist and product names maybe trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners, and are in no way associated or affiliated with AustinBuddy or Fractal Audio Systems. The names are only used to indicate sonic and performance characteristics.

This product is absolutely incredible. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone. Yes, it is expensive, but it is worth every penny. I cannot get over how good the presets are right out of the box. It is far easier to see what your AX8 is capable of doing once you go through these presets and cabs. I also love the print material included. Very, very helpful

Thank you so much! Never let anyone say that the Fractal can't nail the sound of vintage and boutique as well as modern amps, it most definitely can!

Hi.I have bought the “700+ Naked Amps TonePack ”for a while. and I also bought “Cab-Pack-AustinBuddy-Big-Bundle“. I love it! Here's a problem . I use three different kinds of guitars. different pick up(single coils, humbuckers).but each of guitars has the same problem.
they have a feedback in the low frequency around the 5th fret of my 6th string.
Could you tell me what caused it?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi.I have bought the “700+ Naked Amps TonePack ”for a while. and I also bought “Cab-Pack-AustinBuddy-Big-Bundle“. I love it! Here's a problem . I use three different kinds of guitars. different pick up(single coils, humbuckers).but each of guitars has the same problem.
Thank you.
What amp model/preset is it doing this on -- is it multiple ones?

What amplification system are you playing it back on? Are you playing in a small room?

Sounds like room mode problem, or maybe a resonant frequency if in your real speaker cab?

You can try and do a Low Cut in the Cab Block set to 100hz to 150hz and see what happens. Let us know!

Hi austinbuddy. I am really enjoying the Naked presets; I loaded 'em all! I was wondering with the new 9.03 firmware being released for the AX8, is this going to have any affect on these presets? I'm looking to do the upgrade over the holiday but I want to make sure they've been tested first with the new firmware.

...Buddy just addressed this over on the Axe-Fx Ultra forum...

...go to the Ax-Fx II Preset Exchange forum...go to the Austin Buddy 700+ thread and start reading on page 5, post # 94...

Hi austinbuddy. I am really enjoying the Naked presets; I loaded 'em all! I was wondering with the new 9.03 firmware being released for the AX8, is this going to have any affect on these presets? I'm looking to do the upgrade over the holiday but I want to make sure they've been tested first with the new firmware.

Thanks! You'll love them.

To your question, from my preliminary tests, 9.03 does change the sound of the presets. It appears to me that the SPKR COMP, which was added in 9.02 (and 9.00 was not correct firmware, don't use it!), may actually be useful in 9.03 with TnePack -- if we use 8.02 as the "benchmark" of what the tones should be -- that is, the firmware the TonePack was designed and optimized on.

Basically, and I am still testing, so this is only preliminary. In 9.03 with SPKR COMP set to zero (not Cliff's default, but the setting for 8.02 and 9.02) the new 9.03 firmware is tighter feeling, with more highs and lows. Some people may like that for metal presets. I personally don't like what it does to the vintage presets, compared to 8.02/9.02.

My suspicion is, the SPKR COMP setting that I avoided before in 9.02 may actually in 9.03 work well to get the tones back to the 8.02 original intended tone. So that's what I need to cook on and check out, although I have other beta team duties right now that I need to attend to.

My usual policy after a beta or even public firmware release is to stick with the prior firmware versions (8.02 and 9.02) for some time (at least a month) to make sure there are not OTHER changes coming fast yet again -- another firmware, bugs caught and fixed, Cliff has a breakthrough again, etc.

Like many here on the forum, I've been around long enough to know that multiple firmwares can come on very suddenly, and there is no point in going through 700 sounds (which takes considerable time -- weeks) only to have to change them all again because of a new version - and wasted all my time.

Have talked about this in some other threads...firmware comes out, then Axe-Edit needs to be updated, then sometimes I need FracTool updated as well. I A/B the sounds between my XL and an AX8 to do comparisons of firmwares.

It's possible in the future I might have to have a small fee for future upgrades, but it all depends on what happens. Right now I'm doing TonePack upgrades for free, because the firmware changes are not dramatic enough to warrant charging -- so we'll see!

Hope that helps!

...Buddy just addressed this over on the Axe-Fx Ultra forum...

...go to the Ax-Fx II Preset Exchange forum...go to the Austin Buddy 700+ thread and start reading on page 5, post # 94...
Thanks Johnny! Here is a copy of what I posted over there in that thread...

<Tonight on my Axe-Fx XL I've been comparing firmware 9.03 to an AX8 with 9.02 on my 700+ Naked Amps Tonepack across a few dozen presets that vary widely in sound by design...

Definitely hearing a noticeable a difference, as you guys are. Comparing the versions using an A/B box from my XL to my AX8, using same presets from the TonePack.

As Cliff said, no need to reset amp, and it doesn't change amp settings when you upgrade from 9.02 to 9.03 (Thankfully). But I set SPKR COMP at zero at 9.02 for the 700+ Naked Amps presets to make them as close to the original 8.02 sounds I dialed in.

My impressions : for the TonePack presets, 9.03 is less compressed and more wide open sounding, with more pronounced high end and some mids -- this is probably attributable to the power amp section Cliff said he improved. Seems especially pronounced on the modern/higher gain amps. It's punchier for sure and a little less smooth and more jagged, and there may be a reason I hear it that way --- which is due to my evaluation using 9.03 in Tonepack presets all with the SPKR COMP at zero, which is what I did (using FracTool) on 9.02 to keep the TonePack preset sounds the same as in 8.02.

If I increase the SPKR COMP in 9.03 from zero up, to 3 or 4 (as Cliff had SPKR COMP value as default of 3 in 9.02 if I recall correctly), it makes the 9.03 firmware sound more like 9.02; more compressed, with less edgy highs. So that is an optino or solution if you like the Tonepack sounds of 8.02 but want to use 9.03.

This really is going to be a personal preference thing as to what sound or tone someone prefers on an amp with identical settings under 9.02 to 9.03. And we'll see fi there is 9.04 as well...

If you use the 700 Naked Amps TonePack presets and you upgrade to 9.03 firmware and don't like the sound, just up the SPKR COMP to between 3 and 5 in a preset and see if you like it better.

If you find a sweet spot for SPKR COMP, you might use FracTool's Batch setter to set the SPKR COMP to your chosen value across a range of presets. Id' treat the modern amps bank separately. As always, back everything up before you try that, so you can always go backwards if something goes wrong.

At this point, I don't have plans to go through all 700 TonePack sounds to upgrade them by hand/fine-tine to 9.03 anytime soon, and the AX8 9.03 version I don't believe is even out yet? I always like to lag a version to make sure the bugs get worked out (who wants to work for weeks and weeks dialing in over 700 sounds, and then learn the firmware had a bug and all that work was for nothing?) .

If I had time I'd do some comparison soundclips, but I have some overdue How to Use Axe-Edit videos to get out by January, and some other beta testing stuff that is more urgent.

Just wanted to report since I'm already getting asked about version 9.03 -- that's it for now.

Cheers and thanks for all the support!>

Sounds good. Definitely does make sense to wait and see if there are any bug fixes, tweaks, etc. and/or new firmware issued. I'll stay put with 9.02 for now and keep an eye out for any changes. Thanks for the help guys!

Thank you.
Sometimes this can be solved by reducing the speaker resonance in the spkr tab of the amp block. Or you can reduce the frequency down to 75hz. I think it defaults at 110 which may be where your low feedback is occurring. I usually change the freq to 75hz on all my patches anyway. Helps keep boominess to a minimum.

I did the update and none of the presets in "Bonus Classic Rock and Blues" work. They load, but they silence the unit. Opening a preset in Axedit shows them to be populated and connected, but no sound.

I did the update and none of the presets in "Bonus Classic Rock and Blues" work. They load, but they silence the unit. Opening a preset in Axedit shows them to be populated and connected, but no sound.
Some of them require a specific user IR. It’s in the notes for the preset pack. You’ll need to load the IR and point the CAB block at it in your system.

@austinbuddy , thank you so much for creating this tone pack. It really shows how each amp can sound in a very balanced, natural, and musical way. I listen back to my first homemade presets, and realize I just didn't know what to listen for. This tone pack has helped me pinpoint that and take my own presets to an entirely new level. Thanks again!

@austinbuddy , thank you so much for creating this tone pack. It really shows how each amp can sound in a very balanced, natural, and musical way. I listen back to my first homemade presets, and realize I just didn't know what to listen for. This tone pack has helped me pinpoint that and take my own presets to an entirely new level. Thanks again!

You are welcome amigo! The technology can be daunting, but I was determined to show the Fractal CAN convincingly sound just like great vintage and modern amps if you take the time to carefully dial it in. It's the best digital amp modeler on the planet!

Hi K Paul:

Look at the Readme file. There are about 40 or so presests in the bonus pack, and in fact they do sound with factory cabs — except presets 26-40 which require you to load the included User IR into User Cab slot #1 - those are presets from the first Hendrix album, song by song. If you have a blank user can in slot one, you get no sound. There is a video on my YouTube channel and website that walks through how to load the included IR into your User Cabs.

Red Wirez very kindly allowed by legally to share a special Hendrix 1967 cab mix I made from their Big Box collection of 4x12 Gm-12-20 Greenbacks with anyone who bought the Tonepack.

(Thanks Red Wirez!)

Gotta add my thanks to @austinbuddy for this awesome pack. It’s worth every penny!

Last night, I used a single Dirty Shirley preset for my entire set at church. After the service, a pro bass player buddy came up and said the guitar sounded amazing in the room. Then the sound guy came up a few minutes later and said the same thing. Then - next thing I know - my pastor is hovering over my board trying to figure out what I was using. Said the guitar sounded incredible and full. He wanted to know what I was using because it really worked well.

Other than adding my own delay and reverb blocks, the only changes I made were to cut bass in the amp and then bump the low cut in the cab from 40 to 100. Worked very well with both my PRS and my Tele.

Highly recommend this tone pack to everyone!

Hi K Paul:

Look at the Readme file. There are about 40 or so presests in the bonus pack, and in fact they do sound with factory cabs — except presets 26-40 which require you to load the included User IR into User Cab slot #1 - those are presets from the first Hendrix album, song by song. If you have a blank user can in slot one, you get no sound. There is a video on my YouTube channel and website that walks through how to load the included IR into your User Cabs.

Red Wirez very kindly allowed by legally to share a special Hendrix 1967 cab mix I made from their Big Box collection of 4x12 Gm-12-20 Greenbacks with anyone who bought the Tonepack.

(Thanks Red Wirez!)
Yes, I've gotten it sorted thanks to a helpful comment from iaresee! But thanks for circling back. Loving the pack!

AustinBuddy, I'm thinking about getting the pack. I was wondering again about the output volume info you shared. Generally when playing in a live setting, I use the output volume knob on the AX8 to control the rehearsal or stage volume. Is this sucking tone, or still acceptable when not recording direct?

Back
Top Bottom