700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

I seem to hang out on the Vibroverb presets myself. They are very nice sounding.

2x10 Vibroverb is arguably one of the best amps Fender ever made!

I shot some IRs of a great Blackface Vibroverb 2x10 from Austin Vintage Guitars to make it sound even better, in the Fractal store Black & Tweed Cab pack — best Fender IRs I eve heard much less captured.

It says something the late great Session wizard Stephen Bruton, who mainly played Dumbles, extolled the Vibroverb’s virtues in the studio!

I bought that cab pack but I haven’t had a chance to try them out yet.

Great, I made it easier in these new Cab Packs to find great sounds. Do the Quick Picks Folder, and go to Mixes, there are 2-5 mixes for each Cab I did. I also picked the best individual mic shots too for each Cab, narrowing it down. Wanted to make it easier to use.

I purchased the preset pack a few months ago and have recently really started digging through it. I run my AX8 through the Friedman asm-12, which is known to be rather bass heavy. So most of the presets sound very dark to me which i have compensated for by adjusting the low pass in the cab block. Is there any other adjustments that you would recommend? I am also going to play with new new speaker drive as you have suggested in here as well, i am on 9.02. Thanks for you hard work.

I purchased the preset pack a few months ago and have recently really started digging through it. I run my AX8 through the Friedman asm-12, which is known to be rather bass heavy. So most of the presets sound very dark to me which i have compensated for by adjusting the low pass in the cab block. Is there any other adjustments that you would recommend? I am also going to play with new new speaker drive as you have suggested in here as well, i am on 9.02. Thanks for you hard work.

My ASC-12 is also very bass heavy and I hated it when I first got it... Then I learned about the Low Cut in the Cab Block and now I set most presets around 120 and I also use/tweak the 5-band EQ (Mark V) when needed.

I love @austinbuddy's presets!

Hi stdio,
I personally would have no issue with all cab blocks in the presets having low pass set at 100hz for recording or live use, and high pass at 10khz.

Some of the modern, metal amps do put out lows that some people like. So for most I chose 40hz but with FracTool you can batch set it (always do backups first!!)

The presets should not sound “dark” so that may be your monitroing system (that Freidman ASM) or the type of pickups being used.

The presets may brighten up once you set SPKR COMP at zero rather than 9.02 default of 3 — they will open up and sound more dynamic, like 8.02/no difference. Enjoy!

Last edited:
...love Buddy's presets! Question about the proximity effect in the cab block...I noticed on some of your presets (like the JTM45 Clean), that the proximity effect is ON for the X cab and OFF for the Y cab...just curious about how you "view" or utilize/set the proximity effect in general (Ax8 only)...especially as it relates to your CAB Packs (I have the Fantastic 2x12's and the Black + Tweed)...

...love Buddy's presets! Question about the proximity effect in the cab block...I noticed on some of your presets (like the JTM45 Clean), that the proximity effect is ON for the X cab and OFF for the Y cab...just curious about how you "view" or utilize/set the proximity effect in general (Ax8 only)...especially as it relates to your CAB Packs (I have the Fantastic 2x12's and the Black + Tweed)...

Johnny: great question. I definitely am intentional with proximity. The AX8 presets were ported from an XL where that proximity effect would have included the mics that AX8 does not have, but I went through every AX8 preset and scene and adjusted it where needed.

Honestly for most cabs you can cut anything below 100HZ, but sometimes you want a little thump in the bottom and proximity does the trick, I usually would not us a value of higher than 1.5 to 2.5 in most cases...

As far as the Cab Packs go, those were done straight with no processing, but if you think a cab needs a little more bottom, the proximity knob is where it is at. On my Buddy's Boutique for example, I will use that proximity knob with the 2X12 open back G12-65H cabs, and also maybe play with the SPKR resonance to comport the speaker frequencies to get the bass where I want it. Hope that helps, glad you are digging the TonePack and Cab Pack!

Hi stdio,
I personally would have no issue with all cab blocks in the presets having low pass set at 100hz for recording or live use, and high pass at 10khz.

Some of the modern, metal amps do put out lows that some people like. So for most I chose 40hz but with FracTool you can batch set it (always do backups first!!)

The presets should not sound “dark” so that may be your monitroing system (that Freidman ASM) or the type of pickups being used.

The presets may brighten up once you set SPKR COMP at zero rather than 9.02 default of 3 — they will open up and sound more dynamic, like 8.02/no difference. Enjoy!

Thanks for the response, like i said i am aware that the Friedman is dark sounding in some cases. The clean and crunchy amps sound amazing as is, it is mostly the high gain patches that sound a little dark. Also thank for the tip about gain staging :)

Thanks for the response, like i said i am aware that the Friedman is dark sounding in some cases. The clean and crunchy amps sound amazing as is, it is mostly the high gain patches that sound a little dark. Also thank for the tip about gain staging :)

Understood. Some of the high-gain amps are scooped by design, that is how they are supposed work. You might try and turn up the mid control on an amp plus use the LOW CUT in the amp block, and see if that helps gives you a sound you like a little better from those amp models.

@austinbuddy-thanks for the reply! Am really liking the JTM45 paired with the Big Brit 2X12 (R121 & SM57)...in the cab block, I set the low cut to 100hz and the high cut to 10khz...not using the proximity effect...sounds fantastic...really fat and crisp and not too bright or bassy...btw, Ax8 is on 9.02 fw....with speaker comp set to zero (per your recommendations)...using a Telecaster and a Strat and an Atomic NEO CLR MkII...

...also really like the Vibroverb with the 2x10 cab you mentioned!

Last edited:
@austinbuddy-thanks for the reply! Am really liking the JTM45 paired with the Big Brit 2X12 (R121 & SM57)...in the cab block, I set the low cut to 100hz and the high cut to 10khz...not using the proximity effect...sounds fantastic...really fat and crisp and not too bright or bassy...btw, Ax8 is on 9.02 fw....with speaker comp set to zero (per your recommendations)...using a Telecaster and a Strat and an Atomic NEO CLR MkII...

...also really like the Vibroverb with the 2x10 cab you mentioned!
Dude! That is EXACTLY the amp and cab pair I would use with a Strat! You have the best warm clean but some grit Strat tone around!

Now try a fuzz fac or pedal like an RC boost, FET Boost, or Timmy in front just to lift the pickups up a bit and it’s a killer big sound!

That Brit Big 2X12 is the best sounding G12M25 cab for greenback tones, courtesy Austin Vintage Guitars!!! Enjoy!

...that JTM45 with Brit Big 2x12 is so pure! The Brit Big 2x12 also sounds great with the 50 watt Plexi (normal)...I like low(er) grind/crunchier tones...funk, soul, jazz, etc...

700+ Naked Amps Tonepack FIRMWARE VERSION 9.02 UPDATE

Hi everyone:

I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both firmware download versions (8.02 original and 9.02 update) when they order.

For past customers, if you created an account and login at www.austinbuddy.com, just login and you should see both firmware versions in your account now; so you can download 9.02 there.

Also, for just Axe-Fx Original and Mark II users, I did some updates to the Factory Cabs choices. A few Mark II users had reported a preset or two with blank cabs (user cab) showing up, so I wanted to make sure that was all fixed, and their updated version for both 8.02 and 9.02 includes a preset list with Cabs now like the AX8 and XL/XL+ version. A list of presets and all the cabs used in the Mark II version is included.

If you didn't create a login to the website, you will need to email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com and request a new download. Please include your order #, date, and the name from original purchase, which will help me locate your order faster in the database.

For those individual requests, I'll send you an email with the new downloads for both versions. Allow me a few days to turn requests around, as I'm traveling part of this week. Also check your spam folder too, sometimes emails get caught there.

The 9.02 update is free to existing customers, as promised.

Now, technically, you don't need to the 9.02 version if you already have 8.02 and you want to update. Here is my post explaining what to do if you want to do it yourself with existing presets and not fool with re-loading everything.

PS - The BONUS TonePack Classic Rock & Blues now also has three new Eric Johnson-style presets (clean, dirty rhythm, and lead) added in. Cooper Carter of Solo-A-Week fame was having some fun with these, you may too! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for your immediate reply to my request for a link to the new 9.02 download despite your busy schedule. I must have caught you before you're off travelling later this week.
Having bought the originals, I already knew these presets are amazingly good!
Highly recommended to everyone who hasn't purchased.
And your continued hard work including updating is greatly appreciated.

Tonight on my Axe-Fx XL I've been comparing firmware 9.03 to an AX8 with 9.02 on my 700+ Naked Amps Tonepack across a few dozen presets that vary widely in sound by design...

Definitely hearing a noticeable a difference, as you guys are. Comparing the versions using an A/B box from my XL to my AX8, using same presets from the TonePack.

As Cliff said, no need to reset amp, and it doesn't change amp settings when you upgrade from 9.02 to 9.03 (Thankfully). But I set SPKR COMP at zero at 9.02 for the 700+ Naked Amps presets to make them as close to the original 8.02 sounds I dialed in.

My impressions : for the TonePack presets, 9.03 is less compressed and more wide open sounding, with more pronounced high end and some mids -- this is probably attributable to the power amp section Cliff said he improved. Seems especially pronounced on the modern/higher gain amps. It's punchier for sure and a little less smooth and more jagged, and there may be a reason I hear it that way --- which is due to my evaluation using 9.03 in Tonepack presets all with the SPKR COMP at zero, which is what I did (using FracTool) on 9.02 to keep the TonePack preset sounds the same as in 8.02.

If I increase the SPKR COMP in 9.03 from zero up, to 3 or 4 (as Cliff had SPKR COMP value as default of 3 in 9.02 if I recall correctly), it makes the 9.03 firmware sound more like 9.02; more compressed, with less edgy highs. So that is an optino or solution if you like the Tonepack sounds of 8.02 but want to use 9.03.

This really is going to be a personal preference thing as to what sound or tone someone prefers on an amp with identical settings under 9.02 to 9.03. And we'll see fi there is 9.04 as well...

If you use the 700 Naked Amps TonePack presets and you upgrade to 9.03 firmware and don't like the sound, just up the SPKR COMP to between 3 and 5 in a preset and see if you like it better.

If you find a sweet spot for SPKR COMP, you might use FracTool's Batch setter to set the SPKR COMP to your chosen value across a range of presets. Id' treat the modern amps bank separately. As always, back everything up before you try that, so you can always go backwards if something goes wrong.

At this point, I don't have plans to go through all 700 TonePack sounds to upgrade them by hand/fine-tine to 9.03 anytime soon, and the AX8 9.03 version I don't believe is even out yet? I always like to lag a version to make sure the bugs get worked out (who wants to work for weeks and weeks dialing in over 700 sounds, and then learn the firmware had a bug and all that work was for nothing?) .

If I had time I'd do some comparison soundclips, but I have some overdue How to Use Axe-Edit videos to get out by January, and some other beta testing stuff that is more urgent.

Just wanted to report since I'm already getting asked about version 9.03 -- that's it for now.

Cheers and thanks for all the support!

Back
Top Bottom