700+ Naked Amps TonePack for AX8 Release

Discussion in 'AX8 Preset Exchange' started by austinbuddy, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Hi. No, I haven't tweaked your pack amps, just added some delays and reverbs. I have just connected AX8 to Matrix power amp and than to Q12 passive monitor, loaded your amps... I have to use hi-low cuts in the cab section, otherwise the sounds are not usable in a gigging volume with my band. I am just wondering why there is no hi-low cuts used in your presets? I mean at low volume they sound great on studio monitors, but in a gigging volume there is a lot to do... Oh, and I know about this "fletcher-Munson"... :)[/QUOTE]
    For the record, the creator of the "Naked" amps is @austinbuddy , not me. :)

I was just relating how, to me, they seem to be well dialed in for live use. I mainly play through flown Electro-Voice mains and moderately-price Electro-Voice wedges in a moderately large venue. The presets I've played live have been winners in that environment, and they do a passable job in a quiet studio.

Note that the guitar can make a huge difference in how it sounds. Example: one of the Naked presets gave me +8 dB on the VU meters, even though try're dialed in at 0 VU. I tried another guitar, and I got close to 0 on the meters.

2. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Hello Neli: Will try to answer questions best I can. First, are you only using Output 1 of the AX8? Because if you are using Output2 as well, then understand there is NO cab present (FX Loop) and it sure will sound harsh and shrill with no cab into any PA or monitors! Just wanted to make sure of that before proceeding. I've sold many TonePacks and you are the first to register this issue; others are not hearing this problem you describe.

Second, I certainly do like using there Cab Block to dial out lows and highs for presets, but did not choose to do it here given the wide variety of ears and users involved. Very few real life cabs put out frequencies above 7khz. I even discussed with Fractal expert representative beforehand, to get their feedback on whether to use the Cab Block cuts too. That is the real reason I did not use the Cab block low/hi cuts beyond the 40hz cut which was recommended to me. There are few presets -- I can't recall which ones -- where I did tame highs if too fizzy with hi cut, but 80%+ of the presets have no hi cut. In reality, a CAB IR is an detailed EQ curve and does cut most of top end above 7k out on its own.

There are a handful of presets where the Cab Block cuts are different, but usually I left the hi cut alone and had the low cut at 40Hz or 50hz. You sure are free to change this any way you wish that you like. To help. if you use FracTool, you can do a "Batch processor" and change the Cab 1 setting hi cut or low cut across every Naked Amp TonePack preset to set it however you like.

Third, as far as plexis go, some vintage plexis (or even modern like JCM800 ones) ARE in fact harsh, raspy, trebly and top-end in real life played on the bright channel -- that is one reason they cut through a mix. Cliff has noted this "raspy" character in past threads about plexis. I've played many real vintage Marshall with bright caps -- that's part of what they do, although I dialed them to be warmer and not so harsh here.

The AX8 amp CPU is not the culprit for the presets sounding they way you describe (unless adding too many effects to TonePack preset) and I did dial in the AX8 presets on the AX8 itself. I doubt it is the strings or guitar (Suhr) but does it sound better if you turn the tone control down, or still sound bad?

The QSC monitors are, to me, a little bottom-heavy frequency and can be woofy to my ears, BUT I know because Dweezil Zappa uses them (he likes that woofiness).

So I am not sure where in signal chain the issue is coming from, but I'm confident it's not the TonePack presets as created if not modified, else this thread would be lit up with unhappy buyers. You might want to be sure your gain staging is right (see my video).

You can private email me if that helps at heybuddy@austinbuddy . com

sskkmm likes this.
  3. Seano Fist

Seano Fist
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Hello Austin,

Bought your Tone Pack two days ago and I am falling in love with so many different tones and amps!

However, how would you recomend creatingt a lead boost for one of your presets? I know you say not to touch the amp block's volume or output, but how would recomend creating a lead boost?

4. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Seano:

So glad you love them!

If I were trying to set up a lead versus the leveled preset volume, I'd probably use Scene 2 amp over Scene 1, and I might play with the drive block on/off to see how that sounded (don't want too much gain; you do want sustain though). FET block for example.

Then I'd go into the Output Mixer block, select Scene 2 in it, and boost the overall volume output for Scene 2 about 3 to 3.5 db for loudness. It still should NOT digitally distort on most cases because of the preset's built in headroom.

Then when you hit Scene 2, it will punch out for solo!

Hope that helps!

Seano Fist likes this.