700+ Naked Amps TonePack by AustinBuddy Available NOW!

2 quick questions - I use a strat with vintage output single coils - please can you link me to guidance on how to set up to get best out of &00 Naked as think you did them mainly with Humbuckers .

Also I will be going direct into pro level digital mixer - what is the best global output setting to get my gain staging correct in relation to the patches and also using external Neunaber Immerse reverb on fx loop for all AX8 reverb duties ?

Hi Nick: So glad you are loving these!

On question one, with any single coils, I'd advise you to use the MicroBoost drive block, with the drive set to between 2 and 3.5 to fatten up the single coils going into the amp, that will compensate pretty well for these being dialed in with humbuckers initially.

An alternative way to do this is to raise the AMP TRIM from it's default setting of 1.0 up to between 1.5 and 2.0 in the AMP BLOCK. The advantage of that is it frees up a drive block and doesn't use any CPU.

EDIT: Let me add, there are a few amps (like Marshall Plexi Highs) that are dialed in for humbuckers can be very bright if used with single coils. The solution is easy: just roll your guitar's TONE knob back between 20% and 33% to dial that out.

On Question two, you can see my video on Gain Staging/Leveling your presets. It also depends on what you mean by "direct into a digital mixer."

If you are only using the rear AX8 XLR outs into mixer, you can leave the I/O MENU setting on the AUDIO Page (front of unit, not in Axe-Edit) for NOMINAL OUT value at +4db (default value) rather than -10db (other option) and then set your Out1 knob to NOON. That produces a good -12db average signal out the XLRs on the back to any mixer.

BUT if you are using the S/PDIF digital output to go into a digital mixer, or a DAW, you basically need to change it the NOMINAL OUTPUT to the -10db setting instead of +4db, and then crank your Out 1 to maximum clockwise, to get the digital signal to leave at an average of -12db, good for sound guy.

For the AX8 only, the S/PDIF signal is controlled by the Out1 knob (but not true for the Axe-Fx). (For any Axe-Fx II readers of this, the S/PDIF signal is fixed, and setting your front Out1 Knob to about 11:30/Noon is about -12db into a mixer with these presets).

As to the external reverb, are you talking about this being added at the mixer board, or using your AX8 effects loop?

Last edited:
Thanks AustinBuddy for answers .

Regarding reverb - I appreciate can put on at digital desk but I was thinking of using a neunaber immerse reverb via AX8 loop ( Immerse is stereo i/o). This means when I play at home through my monitors I can / sculpt get reverb and makes me more self sufficient when gigging - my singer does sound and he will drench me with too much reverb so best I get tone I want and get him to leave reverb alone unless really needed

My question is therefore is there anything I need to be aware of when using the ax8 lop in this way re gain staging /making most of Naked pack ?

thanks and best wishes

Nick

Thanks AustinBuddy for answers .

Regarding reverb - I appreciate can put on at digital desk but I was thinking of using a neunaber immerse reverb via AX8 loop ( Immerse is stereo i/o). This means when I play at home through my monitors I can / sculpt get reverb and makes me more self sufficient when gigging - my singer does sound and he will drench me with too much reverb so best I get tone I want and get him to leave reverb alone unless really needed

My question is therefore is there anything I need to be aware of when using the ax8 lop in this way re gain staging /making most of Naked pack ?

thanks and best wishes

Nick

Nick: You will have to MOVE the FX Loop block in the Naked Amps Tone pack. In the presets it is set to "tap" off the amp before the cabs.

So for any presets you use, move the FX loop. If you are running in MONO, you can put the FX loop after the Amp before the Cab, or at the end of the chain. If you are running in STEREO fo reverbs, then you will need to put the FX loop block toward the end or end of your chain, just where you would normally put a reverb block.

You are going to have to control the Wet/dry signal blend from your reverb unit, not the AX8. The signal will be processed in series (not parallel, although there is a way to do that too).

I can't speak to controls on the external reverb you are using, but you will want to set the input of that reverb unit to be as close to unity gain as possible, so it does not pad down nor raise up the incoming signal from the AX8 -- in essence, it should be the same volume level as when you hit BYPASS on your external reverb, that's when you have it right.

Then add the wet reverb to taste. A little goes a long way!!!!

I bought the 700+ pack today for my AX8. Tried the clean sounds (FW 10.0) and almost had tears in my eyes. Enjoyed the beauty of the naked amps, no distracting efx dress around them. Why did I buy this not before?
Thank you Austinbuddy!

Question: I also bought your 3 cab packs. Will the naked amps sound even better with those cabs?

I bought the 700+ pack today for my AX8. Tried the clean sounds (FW 10.0) and almost had tears in my eyes. Enjoyed the beauty of the naked amps, no distracting efx dress around them. Why did I buy this not before?
Thank you Austinbuddy!

Question: I also bought your 3 cab packs. Will the naked amps sound even better with those cabs?

Thank you Hhuent!

Yes, there are several presets that will improve using the Austin Buddy IRs. For example, the Matchless DC30, the Bludotone and Dumble, the Shiva, the Supro, the Gibson Scout, the Tweeds. I am also very partial to the Vibroverb 2X10 R121 A2 IR, which may be the best Fender style I've I've ever heard. Used the 700+ Naked Amp presets in the studio when we shot the IRs to make sure I was happy with them.

I did a prior forum postsomewhere with a little more detail about which IRs from my Cab Packs I liked specifically for what TonePacks amps --- but I searched a few threads and I can't seem to locate it right now. :(

If I find it later I'll post it here. Think I re-copied into a Naked Amps TonePack post in the Axe-Fx II or Ax8 area, maybe it's there in the thread earlier.

But still, the TonePack presets will sound great as they are. If you use single coil pickups, just use that included MicroBoost drive block in front of the amp block and it will fatten up beautifully.

Enjoy!

I did a prior forum postsomewhere with a little more detail about which IRs from my Cab Packs I liked specifically for what TonePacks amps --- but I searched a few threads and I can't seem to locate it right now. :(
If I find it later I'll post it here. Think I re-copied into a Naked Amps TonePack post in the Axe-Fx II or Ax8 area, maybe it's there in the thread earlier.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the hints. Would be great if you find the mentioned post eventually. Will search for it as well.
When I tried the clean presets with my trusted 71 Tele I engaged the drive block first and then gave it a shot. Beautiful tones!
Are all the drive blocks in the presets a MicroBoost?
Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
In the Cleans-Only bank, the Microboost is the default drive, perfect to help single coils fatten up. In other presets the drive block can vary. I use a FET boost set up like a Klon Centaur a good bit...

Did you refer to this post that you were trying to find? I guess not as this info is not complete. Or maybe I got you wrong and there is no list of cabs that fits to your list of amps? Searched for hours but this is the only post I found. However, your amp presets rock!

Hi Fractal Friends:

Fractal Audio is now selling three new Cab Packs created from multi-day sessions at Public Hi-Fi studios in Austin, Texas.

In addition to some studio amps/cabs, most are from Austin Vintage Guitars super cool amp collection. Thanks to feedback from the forum, I included ready-to-go mixes and also a folder of my chosen the best single mic captures, both contained in a “Quick Picks” folder for each Cab Pack.

Wanted to point out some specific favorites worth highlighting here from each of the three new Cab Packs. Also, these all also work great with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

Here's a link to my webpage that describes all 3 Cab Packs in greater detail. My quick favs:

Vintage Black & Tweed
Here, check out the Tweed Deluxe2 (think Keith Richards). We shot two Deluxes, and while both are great, the second one is my favorite color of this. I’m a big fan of the Fractal Tweed Deluxe amp model in general, and these IRs are great for dialing in old Rolling Stones, blues, or classic rock (like early ZZ Top – Billy Gibbons used Tweeds as well as Marshalls).

Next, I like the Little Tweed2 (Tweed Champ2). Think Ronnie Wood in the Faces, or Derek & the Dominoes, and the Tweed Pro Amp 1X15, which has great bottom and lower-mids.

But perhaps my favorite in the collection based on a classic blackface Vibrolux 2X10, and is probably the best sounding IR Fender-style capture I’ve ever heard! It’s got the right bass, mids, and highs EQ curve to sound great with any Blackface Fender amp model, and probably other models too!

Fantastic 2X12s
I’m especially in love with the “Big Brit” which is a 1971 oversize Marshall 2X12 with original 25 watt Greenbacks. Mmmmmm. It pairs fantastic with any Plexi-style amp from that era, the vintage greenback speakers crunch up just right to accent a crunchy or dimed amp model. There are plenty of great 4x12 Cab IRs out there in the marketplace, but this 2x12 is special!

I also love the “Matchbox2” IRs, based on a green DC30 Matchless amp. This 1990s DC-30 has mismatched speakers, and we shot both left and right speakers and did mixes that blend the two speakers together. If you love DC30 sounds, this is the IR collection you’ve been waiting for.

For a little “grind-ier” and less cliché Fender sound, try the 2x12 Blackface era closed-back Bassman cab we shot that is part of Public Hi-Fi’s studio collection. Perfect for Indie band tones using cranked clean (with a little grit) amps…I can’t say this for sure, but this cab probably was used on some Spoon records…

Oh, and there is a Vox AC-30 with two Greenbacks that belonged to Austin rock legend Charlie Sexton (Bob Dylan, Arc Angels, etc.) that is really unique sounding, plus a “MusicGuy” that is a cool Music Man 1x12 that sounds really great as well.

Vintage Cool & Rare
My favorite here is the awesome vintage 1966 1X15 Supro Thunderbolt amp/speaker, which pairs great with the Fractal Supro amp model. It totally gets that unique Supro vibe.

There is an old 50’s Gibson GA-30, a favorite in some recording studio circles, that has two different size speakers in it (we shot both) that pairs well with Tweed amps, very cool! There is a custom wood speaker cabinet with a vintage JBL d120f for those who like that speaker sound, which has a distinct high end (think Jerry Garcia, or Roy Buchanan).

The Pappas speaker is also great for cleans or jazz, as is the “Charlie Christian” Gibson suitcase amp/speaker, which has a newer Italian Jensen in it.

Big Bundle Offered: 3 for the Price of 2!
Proud of this Cab Pack, which adds a lot to my current, tone arsenal and helps make the 700+ Naked Amps Pack shine even further when paired.

And – you can buy all three packs from the Fractal webstore as a Big Bundle, for the price of two! Look for that specific offer as a separate item from the three individual packs, see here.

Hope to get some clips and videos showcasing these Cab Packs up later this month. Am always aiming to help you find the tones that inspire you. If you buy and find some new favorite IRs of old amps you love in this collection please share your results in this thread!
View attachment 42443

Just a heads up that, for the upcoming Black Friday/Cyber-Monday sales weekend, the Axe-Fx 700+ Naked Amps TonePack for the Mark II and the Xl/XL+ goes on sale for $49 (regular price $59) starting Wednesday November 21 until Tuesday November 28 (day after Cyber-Monday).

The sale will end then and return to normal $59 pricing.

The sale is open to everyone (not just prior customers) and no coupon is needed.

I am using "days" as defined by my local time in US -- Austin, Texas Central Standard Time.

If you miss it, there will probably be another one week sale around Christmas.

A very nice thing happened this month...had to share.

TrueFire guitar teacher, former Berklee teacher and general bad-ass New York area guitar player Chris Buono discovered my 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for the Axe-FX III and he loved them. Chris and I had met some years back at a Dweezilla music camp through Dweezil Zappa.

Chris used the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack exclusively in creating three new teaching courses he shot at TrueFire's video studio in Florida. Thee TrueFire studio's Axe-Fx III is now loaded up with the 1000+ Naked Amps (thanks Tommy!) and visiting artists will be selecting and using these preset tones for their future TrueFire courses.

Here's Chris's video testimonial. The video excerpt taken with permission from a TrueFire Live broadcast Chris did, and I put it together. See anyone else you know in here? <wink>

All your ongoing TonePack compliments and good wishes along with testimonials like Chris's mean the world to me - thank you so much! This is the greatest digital amp modeler on the planet, and it allows the democratization of great tone to everyone who can afford to buy it! My TonePacks make it easier to quickly find the tones that help inspire players like you, just like they did for Chris! Cheers!

Your Jimi Early #1... bonus cab...
I've gotten to the Transmit One Cab pop up... from there, I'm a little lost. I will write it to User location. But I'm lost after that. Cant you give me a hand with that please.

Thank you! I tried the hairy Brown eye first.....three hours later I was thinking it will take me forever to try all these.....the BE is fantastic.....got lost for a while in it and that is something I haven't done in a long time.

Hi Gang:

As promised, have now produced a version of the new 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack for Axe-Fx XL and XL+ users.

The 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack is a more expanded version of Naked Amps. It is also geared towards playing live.

Here is a link to a .pdf document comparison of the differences between the the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack and the new Dream Rigs TonePack for the XL/XL+.

I've done some tutorial videos about using the TonePack aimed at AX8 but most everything translates to the Axe-Fx -- except that you will have to program foot controller switches in your MFC 101 or other foot controller to take full advantage of the pack.

It's also on sale as introductory price for $79 through January 7th, then will revert to normal $99 price.

Here's a link to the product page, it has the explanatory tutorial videos on it aimed at the AX8 but the concepts are the same for the Axe-Fx XL and XL+, just no foot switches built in and hardware setup sets are different.

There will be a Mark II version available sometime in early 2019 (Because I have to do cab substitutions in that one, takes time).

I'll start a new forum thread on this new 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack shortly.

• Dream-Rigs-square-XL-small.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom