700+ Naked Amps TonePack by AustinBuddy Available NOW!

Previous customers and new buyers now access to the TonePack in 9.02 version.

Or, if you want to do it yourself...For anyone who owns the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, if you do upgrade to 9.02 firmware, NOW you can use the latest FracTool 2.60 to change the AMP BLOCK's new default SKPR COMP of 3.0 back to 0.0 -- and that will keep the preset tones the same as in 8.02. (Many many thanks to AlGrenadine here on forum for developing FracTool!)

First, as always, use FractalBot to back up everything BEFORE you do anything. So you can always go backwards.

If you loaded up presets under 8.02 and then updated to 9.02, the update will apply a SPKR COMP value of 3.0 and change the sound some, lowering the volume slightly as well (compression).

Here is how to remove it using FracTool, which will make the TonePack preset sounds the same as the were created in FW Q8.02

1. Run FracTool. Make sure it "sees" your unit -- if you own multiple units, you may have to power one off to get it to see the one you want. See the connection message int he lower left corner.
2. Go To BATCH SETTER (a tab at top)
3. Under the top left BATCH SETTER menu, under BLOCK, choose AMP1
4. Under PARAMETER, choose SPKR COMP
5. Under SET, put a new value of 0 (zero).
6. Under apply to presets, put the range number of the Naked Amp presets you've loaded (numerical preset locations)
7. in middle of screen, go ahead and check the box that says "Apply to X and Y datasets if available"
8. The at the bottom of the screen, hit APPLY.

Also, you can now turn off the FX LOOP if you want so you can use Output2 with the Factory Cab, which I know was issue for some folk's rig set ups.

1. Under BLOCK, choose LOOP
2. No parameter setting3. Under VALUE,cChoose "Bypass Block and Save."
3. Choose preset range to apply to
4. Check the X/Y Dataset if available option
5. Hit Apply

I don't know about you guys, but I just sent a financial donation to FracTool -- this tool really make a huge difference and deserves our support! Can't wait to try FracTool on my FX8 too, soon!Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.07.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.09.47 PM.png

Last edited:
These presets by @austinbuddy really are the gift that keeps on giving. They sound amazing.

According to the"read.me" that came with them, they are all levelled, so I'm finding that reducing the output per scene in the OUTPUT area of Axe Edit by 4db for high gain and 6db for cleans I can use a standard +2db giving 6db of boost for high gain leads without clipping. That means the levelling of all my presets are a piece of cake and take 2 seconds.

Brilliant !

Thanks AustinBuddy :)

These presets by @austinbuddy really are the gift that keeps on giving. They sound amazing.

According to the"read.me" that came with them, they are all levelled, so I'm finding that reducing the output per scene in the OUTPUT area of Axe Edit by 4db for high gain and 6db for cleans I can use a standard +2db giving 6db of boost for high gain leads without clipping. That means the levelling of all my presets are a piece of cake and take 2 seconds.

Brilliant !

Thanks AustinBuddy :)
This is super smart!

If you like, for example, a specific Naked Amps Scene 2 as a "lead" on a preset, you can just go to the OUTPUT block at signal end and then click "SCENES" and adjust ouput up 2 or 3db; or conversely, lower Scene 1's by 2-3 db. You should not get clipping.

Thanks Bread for sharing your great idea!

Another vote for this.

When I heard about the Naked Amps, I was cynical - I like to think I'm pretty good at programming.

I've had a few tough days at work - so thought why not? and treated myself.

Have to say I'm blown away, there are some amps I don't like (Two Rock for example), but suspect that's because I wouldn't like them in real life - but many I love.

What's worth the price alone is there are some amps I've never got to work for me, even if I've owned the real thing - the Jubilee for example. Whereas now - they do!

In five minutes I've got an awesome patch of clean Dumble and Marshall Jubilee - both amps I've never used in the AX8 before, and it sounds better than anything I've done before - all with factory IRs.

Just added some reverb, delay and mod effects - put a high cut on the IR and sorted!

So highly recommended - and thanks

700+ Naked Amps Tonepack FIRMWARE VERSION 9.02 UPDATE

Hi everyone:

I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both firmware download versions (8.02 original and 9.02 update) when they order.

For past customers, if you created an account and login at www.austinbuddy.com, just login and you should see both firmware versions in your account now; so you can download 9.02 there.

Also, for just Axe-Fx Original and Mark II users, I did some updates to the Factory Cabs choices. A few Mark II users had reported a preset or two with blank cabs (user cab) showing up, so I wanted to make sure that was all fixed, and their updated version for both 8.02 and 9.02 includes a preset list with Cabs now like the AX8 and XL/XL+ version. A list of presets and all the cabs used in the Mark II version is included.

If you didn't create a login to the website, you will need to email me at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com and request a new download. Please include your order #, date, and the name from original purchase, which will help me locate your order faster in the database.

For those individual requests, I'll send you an email with the new downloads for both versions. Allow me a few days to turn requests around, as I'm traveling part of this week. Also check your spam folder too, sometimes emails get caught there.

The 9.02 update is free to existing customers, as promised.

Now, technically, you don't need to the 9.02 version if you already have 8.02 and you want to update. Here is my post explaining what to do if you want to do it yourself with existing presets and not fool with re-loading everything.

PS - The BONUS TonePack Classic Rock & Blues now also has three new Eric Johnson-style presets (clean, dirty rhythm, and lead) added in. Cooper Carter of Solo-A-Week fame was having some fun with these, you may too! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Is there a massive difference? I'm pretty happy running the 8.02 version on my 9.02 AX8, but don't want to miss out ;)

What about 9.03 :openmouth:

9.03 is still beta release. I never even fool with it until it's public and final (even though I'm a beta tester on other things...).

I'm personally still an 8.02 fan but 9.02 is fine, just go easy on the added new SPKR COMP parameter (if at all).

And -- with 259 amps -- I don't have a place to shoehorn any newly added amps into the banks for the Tonepack now without starting a brand new bank file, which would make the TonePack 5 banks in an Axe-Fx!

Last edited:
Thanks for your immediate reply to my request for a link to the new 9.02 download despite your busy schedule. I must have caught you before you're off travelling later this week.
Having bought the originals, I already knew these presets are amazingly good!
Highly recommended to everyone who hasn't purchased.
And your continued hard work including updating is greatly appreciated.

Tonight on my Axe-Fx XL I've been comparing firmware 9.03 to an AX8 with 9.02 on my 700+ Naked Amps Tonepack across a few dozen presets that vary widely in sound by design...

Definitely hearing a noticeable a difference, as you guys are. Comparing the versions using an A/B box from my XL to my AX8, using same presets from the TonePack.

As Cliff said, no need to reset amp, and it doesn't change amp settings when you upgrade from 9.02 to 9.03 (Thankfully). But I set SPKR COMP at zero at 9.02 for the 700+ Naked Amps presets to make them as close to the original 8.02 sounds I dialed in.

My impressions : for the TonePack presets, 9.03 is less compressed and more wide open sounding, with more pronounced high end and some mids -- this is probably attributable to the power amp section Cliff said he improved. Seems especially pronounced on the modern/higher gain amps. It's punchier for sure and a little less smooth and more jagged, and there may be a reason I hear it that way --- which is due to my evaluation using 9.03 in Tonepack presets all with the SPKR COMP at zero, which is what I did (using FracTool) on 9.02 to keep the TonePack preset sounds the same as in 8.02.

If I increase the SPKR COMP in 9.03 from zero up, to 3 or 4 (as Cliff had SPKR COMP value as default of 3 in 9.02 if I recall correctly), it makes the 9.03 firmware sound more like 9.02; more compressed, with less edgy highs. So that is an optino or solution if you like the Tonepack sounds of 8.02 but want to use 9.03.

This really is going to be a personal preference thing as to what sound or tone someone prefers on an amp with identical settings under 9.02 to 9.03. And we'll see fi there is 9.04 as well...

If you use the 700 Naked Amps TonePack presets and you upgrade to 9.03 firmware and don't like the sound, just up the SPKR COMP to between 3 and 5 in a preset and see if you like it better.

If you find a sweet spot for SPKR COMP, you might use FracTool's Batch setter to set the SPKR COMP to your chosen value across a range of presets. Id' treat the modern amps bank separately. As always, back everything up before you try that, so you can always go backwards if something goes wrong.

At this point, I don't have plans to go through all 700 TonePack sounds to upgrade them by hand/fine-tine to 9.03 anytime soon, and the AX8 9.03 version I don't believe is even out yet? I always like to lag a version to make sure the bugs get worked out (who wants to work for weeks and weeks dialing in over 700 sounds, and then learn the firmware had a bug and all that work was for nothing?) .

If I had time I'd do some comparison soundclips, but I have some overdue How to Use Axe-Edit videos to get out by January, and some other beta testing stuff that is more urgent.

Just wanted to report since I'm already getting asked about version 9.03 -- that's it for now.

Cheers and thanks for all the support!

Is that for AX-8? The Axe Fx thread on 9.03 doesn't say beta anywhere that I saw...

Ah - AX8 9.03 release not out yet unless I missed it, and I'm still treating 9.03 for XL as a public beta, although I think I read that someone said Cliff said it's now public release, I might have missed that when traveling.... thanks for calling that.

Is there a massive difference? I'm pretty happy running the 8.02 version on my 9.02 AX8, but don't want to miss out ;)

Nope, no massive differences. I'm consciously trying to keep the preset sounds the same as much as possible between the original 8.02 version (which sounds killer) and the updated 9.02 version. The SPKR COMP added parameter is the major thing, and I set it at zero in both versions which makes them sound pretty identical. I'm still a big fan of firmware 8.02 and could live with that one forever.... but progress, ya know...;)

Thank you AustinBuddy!

this is just a new song idea recorded quickly!

with 2 of your "Vintage & Boutique" presets

. 1959SLP Jumpered

. Factal bass amp

your 700+ Naked Amps TonePack is really inspiring!

The guitar used is my new old 74 Gibson LP Deluxe

with wonderfuls Bare Knuckle's pickups

(Mule in neck position and a riff raff in bridge, i'm really happy with !!!)

and Toontrack Big Rock Drums EZX (Wow!)

huge need to come back to roots these time ;)

:)

SOUNDS GREAT! WELL DONE!

One of my driving ideas in making the Tonepack was to have record-ready guitar tones at the guitarists' disposal.

Makes it easier for the engineer, producer, and everyone to find inspiring sounds!

I too am a BIG fan of ToonTrack EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer -- great stuff. Thank you for sharing this with us!

SOUNDS GREAT! WELL DONE!

One of my driving ideas in making the Tonepack was to have record-ready guitar tones at the guitarists' disposal.

Makes it easier for the engineer, producer, and everyone to find inspiring sounds!

I too am a BIG fan of ToonTrack EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer -- great stuff. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Wow!
many thanks!

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but is there anything specific that one would need to do to make these presets fit into a live mix? Or does the pack include live presets as well?

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but is there anything specific that one would need to do to make these presets fit into a live mix? Or does the pack include live presets as well?
@austinbuddy ’s Naked presets work well in a live mix. What you need to do to make them fit perfectly will depend on your guitar, the band, and the venue — just like in real life. :)

Back
Top Bottom