700+ Naked Amps TonePack by AustinBuddy Available NOW!

I have been playing on Q9.01 Beta 2 with all of the naked amp presets installed, and for each preset I just reset speaker comp and the time value (can’t think of the name right now) by double clicking on the value in Axe Edit. I don’t have 8.01 to compare them with, but those presets that I have tried sound Awesome! I think AUSTINBUDDY will be pleasantly surprised when he gets back in pocket!

Thank you Manny! This makes me very happy to hear.

I'm interested in buying your pack, but as I have both an AXE-FX II (original) and an AX-8, can I convert the patches with Fractool and thus don't have to buy both versions?

I'm interested in buying your pack, but as I have both an AXE-FX II (original) and an AX-8, can I convert the patches with Fractool and thus don't have to buy both versions?

Hi Merlin:

Great question have been asked before. This (below) was posted in another thread in the forum. The answer is "yes you can buy one and convert using Fractal" BUT sorry, you lose something going either direction, because the units have different parameters.

If you buy AXE8 and convert to Mark II, you will lose some cab choices and have to replace those (they will show up as USER CABS for any cabs above #132 -- that's about 99 or 1 in 7 of them).

If you buy Mark II and convert to AX8, you will not get any drive block or Scene 1/2 footswitches or effects assigned, and have to do that manually. Also for about 100 presets in the AX8 version use Cabs over #132, but they will come over with Mark II cabs, so you would have to use the included sheet to re-assign cabs if you wanted the AX8 version as intended.

Here's more details from another post, laying out the issues. Some people do buy both to avoid this; it's all individual preference. I'd also suggest staying with firmware 8.02 which is how these were optimized and sound great with.

<<It's a great, smart question. Unfortunately there is not a "preferred answer" -- because you give something up either direction. So you have to choose what is more valuable to you.

Bottom line: mainly, you lose any cab mics chosen for factory cabs if you go with the AX8 then convert to XL or Mark II. On the other hand, you lose the pre-assigned foot-switches if you go from XL or Mark II to convert to AX8. And if you start with the Mark II version, then you don't have the presets that use factory cabs over #132 (up to 189) if you convert to AX8 or XL as originally designed.

Further Details (fair warning, we are getting weedy here):

AX8 VERSION:

1. The AX8 TonePack version will not have any microphone assignments like the XL or Mark II does - because the AX8 cab block does not allow for those (the way it is designed) like the XL does. I designed all presets on an XL, including cab mics. So -- you lose my mic choices if you buy this version hoping to use it on an XL or Mark II.

The ReadMe file has a list of all presets and all Cabs used as a helpful guide. I encourage people to experiment with other cabs as well -- it really changes the nature of an amp.

2. On the other hand, the AX8 version does have the preset foot-switches already assigned -- Drive block in switch 3, Scene 1/2 block in switch 4 (and reverb and tremolo if the amp has them, plus some "easter eggs").

So XL or Mark II won't have that -- preset foot-switches don't translate over to the rack mount units....so you would need an MFC101 or similar with those IA switches assigned to access them. That is surely doable.

3. For JUST the AX8 Bonus 40 or so Classic Rock & Blues presets, which were originally designed on the XL, the AX8 version had to lose an effect block or two, due to less CPU availability in AX8 than Axe-Fx. The "truest" versions for the bonus preset component are the XL or Mark II. For example, the Jimi presets (26-40) use two amp blocks in tandem -- you can only have one in the AX8.

XL VERSION

1. Here you do get the cab mics I assigned in these presets part of the sound design. If you convert to AX8, it will strip those out since AX8 can't use them.

2. If you convert an XL bank to an AX8 bank, you will have to, by hand (unless you can figure out how to get FracTool to do this, I don't think it can -- yet), set up a Scene 1/2 block for every preset, and other blocks -- a pretty tedious task for 350+ presets.

3. In the XL (or Mark II) -- you should set up an IA switch on your foot-controller for Scene 1/2 switching (or just do it in Axe-Edit) -- you really want to be able to access the Scene 2 in every preset!!! Because sometimes I switch cabs or mics, etc. in a Scene 2 in addition to changing gain, level, and tone control settings.

MARK II VERSION:

1. If you convert to a Mark II version, it will show up with USER cabs (yours) for any presets that had a factory cab between #133 and #189. When I created the Mark II version, I went back and substituted in/out factory cabs so that they were all under #132 -- using choices I thought sounded the best, but they were not my first tone cab choices for XL and AX8 when I had access to those cabs between #133 and #189.

2. To put a little differently, Axe-Fx II/Original users (unlike the AX8 and XL models that have Factory cabs going up to #189) only can access factory cabs only goes up to #132. So roughly 100 or so presets (X/Y) created for XL or AX8 but converted with Fractool for Mark II will now point to your own user cabs for any naked amp or bonus presets that had factory cabs above #132.

If converting, you'd have to make your own assignments for those presets set to cabs above #132, preset by preset -- and understand they would not sound as designed. If you go his route, after conversion, you can use FracTool to print a list of cabs and highlight where it now points to user rather than factory cabs, and go back to edit those presets to your liking.

Hope that helps you all understand what's involved!>>

YES!

Just as Cliff said, confirmed tonight at least for XL, XL and presumably Mark II, the latest Firmware 9.01 is identical to 8.02 in tones/sounds for the 700+ Naked Amps Pack. (Firmware 9.0 was NOT).

Tested several amps tonight comparing the same Naked Amp presets my XL on FW 9.01 to FW 8.02 on my AX8, using an A/B box to switch. They dozen or so I tried of varying amp types sound the same in each unit.

So this is great news for existing TonePack users for XL, XL+ and Mark II.

1) The 700+ Naked Amps TonePack presets should sound the same if you update the firmware to FW 9.01

2) You do not have to make any main amp page adjustments to compensate; I did not use the advance amp page parameters in the Naked Amp presets on the Speaker Drive page.

3) Per preset, you can dial in the SPKR DRV and the new SPKR COMP to taste if you like. Remember, the SPKR DRV and SPKR COMP will default to zero.

The more SPKR COMP you use, the more you may have to increase the LEVEL of the amp block up (higher) to compensate "Make-up gain" to keep your overall signal level coming out at -12db (see my video on the subject).

Now, I have NOT updated the AX8 yet to firmware 9.01 to check it; will do that Sunday and report back, but I don't expect there to be any differences.

just my compliments posted in the other thread...:

Just bought the pack...............................................

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

After years of owning the Axe.....man , at the first preset I KNEW !!!!!!!!

Sounds so much more balanced in every way than I have ever made my own presets.....!!!!!!

Going to have MASTER Sounds now.....:p:p:p:p:p:p

I can recommend this pack STRONGLY !!!!!!

Going to save me TONS of job and an even more happier SOUND GUY at gigs !!
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

This pack continues to pay off in dividends. I'm saving a ton of time. When I want a sound and I know approximately how it was made, I'm not fumbling around AMP+CAB pairs on my own. I use this pack to guide me quickly to the ballpark and then I dial in my seat in the stadium to get the rest of the way there.

Amazing stuff.

This pack continues to pay off in dividends. I'm saving a ton of time. When I want a sound and I know approximately how it was made, I'm not fumbling around AMP+CAB pairs on my own. I use this pack to guide me quickly to the ballpark and then I dial in my seat in the stadium to get the rest of the way there.

Amazing stuff.
This so much.

Just bought the pack. I'm hoping this will save me at the gig I'm playing next friday. I've been struggling like hell to get a good tone recently, everything just sounds boxed in and nasal.

Just bought the pack. I'm hoping this will save me at the gig I'm playing next friday. I've been struggling like hell to get a good tone recently, everything just sounds boxed in and nasal.
I was having nasal tone that went way as soon as I did the 'double click' hard amp reset. Might be worth a try.

To be clear, this "boxed and an nasal" was for your preset stuff but prior to installing the TonePack, right?

If it's happening on the actual Tonepack presets, let me know what firmware version you have. Thanks.

I just picked up the AX8 ones today Buddy. Looking forward to them. I had a great time already just reading thru the Bonus Preset PDF - great stuff!

BTW - anything going on in Austin Monday night?

I just picked up the AX8 ones today Buddy. Looking forward to them. I had a great time already just reading thru the Bonus Preset PDF - great stuff!

BTW - anything going on in Austin Monday night?

Tuesday night 6 pm happy hour David Grissom plays for free at Saxon pib on S Lamar — always a great show!

Special thanks to Axe-Master Al Grenadine, creator of FracTool. The latest edition is great! Support FracTool.

Over the last 48 hours I was able to do some EXTENSIVE testing of firmware effects between 8.02 and 9.02 on both the AX8 and my XL related to the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

1. As I've said before, you don't need to do any amp resets if you have the 8.02 Tonepack and update to firmware 9.02. Those of you who bought it already know this mostly.

2. The presets designed for 8.02 will work on 9.02 "as is."

Past few days, I experimented a LOT with the new SPKR COMP in the amp block in 9.02 and the effect it had on naked amp presets designed in 8.02 from the TonePack.

My conclusion: If you like dynamics and a more "in your face" articulate sound, consider avoiding the SPKR COMP altogether in 9.02 (or just stay on 8.02).

If under 9.02, you can use the latest version Fractool to set SPKR COMP to zero across a range of presets and see what I mean/what you like better.

The SPKR COMP, while true to life, in my opinion will "soften" (compress) the sound, and take off some of the top end. Some people will like this, others don't. You can do make up gain to try to compensate for level change, but this effect on overall tone is what compressors do as intended. It is true to amp=speaker interaction in real life (as Cliff intended).

For a few days, I tried multiple values of the SPKR COMP across multiple amp types, first with Cliff's default of 3.0, then 2, then 1.5, and ultimately after going back and forth A/Bing, I finally decided like SPKR COMP OFF myself.

This is likely personal taste -- I like amps that respond to dynamics and I liked the top end piece that was a little muted when the SPKR COMP was on. Others may love the sound of SPKR COMP On. You can dial it in to your own taste!

I still plan to work on offering an updated firmware version, but I will leave SPKR COMP OFF on it...will let you guys know when ready.

Hope everyone is having nice holidays!

Back
Top Bottom