70 years of popular music, what decade do you prefer?

• Total voters
This was a toughy... I voted 80's simply because IMO guitar dominance in music peaked. If I could vote two times I would of voted the 70's as well cause it paved the way for the 80's guitar dominance. :smiley_simmons:

Voted 90's
I listen alot to all but keep comming back to the grunge scene mid 90'S.
Yes. I'm a huge grunge fan and I'm proud of it:)

Similar to Swass, I voted eighties, as quite a lot of good things were happening in the rock guitar world.

Highlights being, Deep Purple reformed.
Yngwie brought Neo Classical to the fore, and whether you like his style or not I think this helped to raise the bar for playing in general.
Vai, Passion and Warfare
Some great Rush albums and so on.

That said the seventies in a lot of ways paved the way for the eighties, with notable albums from Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Zappa and numerous others. But then you can see the roots of that in the sixties starting to occur with Cream and so on etc.

So my decade probably spans fifty years, in reality.

70's = amazing creativity

80's = amazing technical perfection

But there are amazing songs from all generations and styles of music. I just don't hear albums that are great start to finish like the 70's and 80's. Great songs but no great albums in recent years with a couple exceptions?

70's for me. Creative time for guitar players. A lot of original melodies came out that era. Seemed like there was no end in site, in those days. The sounds we are still trying to replicate these days. For me the 70's was more then the usual rock stuff, that everyone was into at the time, it was when the F.M. Radio, was just kicking off. Very unique, time in our existence. Unfortunately will probably never be duplicated.

70's - primarily because it was the peak of the early progressive bands that I still love to this day. Bands were allowed to experiment and find their way. We would never get bands like Yes and Rush in the current industry climate, or at least they wouldn't have developed the fan base they have now. My favorite 70's era bands are (in no certain order): Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes and many others.

On reflection I think my favourite decade overall was the 70s for songs, but eighties I would stick with for the technique progress.

Painful to split the 70s and 80s.

I went 70s for the diversity, it was the decade of Queen, Led Zep, Floyd, Return to Forever, Rush, Yes, Steely Dan, the Eagles, the Sex Pistols, the Police, Van Halen, and Chic (Nile Rodgers = awesome).

I voted for 2010's, because damn, all those tunes nowadays are so creative and original, like "this girl is on fire!" or "you're beautiful like diamonds in the sky!" ... and they are totally not annoying and make you not want to eat your just vomited breakfast again just to be able get a distraction from the sheer awesomeness of the lyrics that piled up in your underpants!

picked the 80's because it was in the 80's shred era that blew me away, although i loved the metal in the 90s

and a shitload of bands from the 60s-70s

70's for sure. If I could I would add the late 60's to it.
I was not even born :mrgreen

70's for me, because all of the great guitar driven music of the 80's pretty much happened in this era. I almost voted 80's as that was the time that I knew that I was a rocker but I had to think back and answer to my self what music really inspired me to pickup te guitar in the first place and it was predominately 70's rock. Bad Company, AC/DC, Boston, Queen, Styx, Van Helan etc. All of these typs of grops inspired and opened the door for the next generation to show their stuff.

70s. It's when I grew up (or tried, at any rate). Led Zep, VH, Rush, Yes, The Who, Pink Floyd...

Add to that the special quality of going to a concert or seeing a midnight showing of TSRTS, whereas now--with blu-ray DVD and YouTube--one gets this stuff on demand. Not a bad thing, just different.

I voted for 2010's, because damn, all those tunes nowadays are so creative and original, like "this girl is on fire!" or "you're beautiful like diamonds in the sky!" ... and they are totally not annoying and make you not want to eat your just vomited breakfast again just to be able get a distraction from the sheer awesomeness of the lyrics that piled up in your underpants!

Baby, Baby, Baby, Oooooh!

Back
Top Bottom