7-string vs 6-string guitar

torkolort

Inspired
I have a JP6 and I want a JP7 as well, but at the moment I can't afford one. I figured an alternative would be to just replace the JP6. I've never played on a 7-string guitar before, so I don't know how it feels. The only reason I want one is that I want to be able to play a few songs which require it. Usually I play songs written for 6-strings. I'm wondering if it's gonna be "annoying" to have that extra string when playing regular songs. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks!

I would imagine it's something that you would be able to get used to over time. I am a bassist that has been playing a 4 string for over 30 years. There has been a few gigs that for whatever reason, my bass was inoperable. The only other bass in the room was someone's 5 string. It really messed me up having that extra string. If I bought a 5-string for myself and practiced like crazy for a few days, I could probably get used to it. I still don't have one but decided to get a Hipshot D extender instead. Works like a charm. They do make them for guitars as well.

Lol byce, I was bout to chime in with a similar story. I made the jump a few years back to a 7 string bass. It required a bunch of changes to my technique, such as finding inventive ways to mute unused strings. Same with 7 string guitars. Each instrument has its nuances. And I plan on acquiring as many of them as I can! (without my wife divorcing me....)

I had a JP7 with the thought that it can cover any six string duties with the added benefit of the 7th when needed. After realizing that most of my time was spent playing the upper six, the extra width started to bother me. I ended up trading it in a while back and don't regret it. Jmho.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of :(

I was listening to Petrucci a lot at the time. He usually used his six-strings for down-tuning unless it went all the way down to B. Now, for anything B or lower, I'm using a baritone although I'll admit that I was tempted by a Custom shop 7-string Ibanez today. :)

I tried a 7-string guitar and found the extra string a major distraction when playing material written for 6-string, especially when chording with a pick. If I played some 7-string material, I'd probably have both types and just switch guitars. Most people can get used to almost anything though, if given enough time.

I wouldn't compare it to a 5-string bass. I can mentally block out the 5th string fairly easily and I rarely if ever target more than one string at a time.

I bought my first 7-string probably close to 10 years ago now. Took me about 2 weeks to really get used to that 7th string being there, and then after that it pretty much felt natural. Have been playing 7s as my main guitars since then.

The neck width doesn't bother me, but I need it to have the right neck profile (but then I guess that's much the same on 6s). There are certain things you can do on a 6 that might be a bit harder or impossible on a 7, like if you wrap your thumb right around the top of the neck to mute or fret the lower strings. I can mute both the B and E with my thumb, but it's not particularly comfortable getting to the E. Fretting with the thumb I just don't bother with on 7s (and hardly on 6s anyway).

If I pick up one of my 6-strings, it's never really because I want to play a "6-string song"; more that I just want to play that particular guitar. I'm perfectly comfortable on either number of strings and can jump between them no problem. If I had to pick one or the other, I'd definitely go with the 7s. :)

7 strings (and 8 strings) are totally unnecessary unless you need to play really high up on the highest string for solos and stuff. If you want the lower range, you can just tune down. I tune to drop Bb no problem. If you need to go much lower than C, a baritone is a better solution than a 7 or 8 string anyway. I've had a 30" scale baritone for almost 6 years now, it's great. Funny enough, I usually have it tuned to A, so, only one fret lower than the Bb on my guitars. I've done a few songs in drop G, it handles it no problem at all, could go lower with ease, but I like it to have more punch and low end to it, more like that middle ground between a guitar and a bass rather than just a low guitar.

I've never messed around with 7 or 8 strings, because making the neck wider really isn't anything I'm interested in. If I ever ran into being sad cause my dropped tuning taking away the highest frets on the highest string, I would just grab one of my other guitars that's only tuned down to D. Or even standard, whatever.

Ask yourself, is a wider and less manageable neck really worth an extra 5 frets worth of notes at the high end? If it's not, just tune down a 6 string and you'll be fine. People love 7 strings, but they're not for everybody and they're certainly not necessary. At the very least you can try tuning down your six string. Maybe you'll need to get your nut modded to handle the thicker strings (EJ21's are plenty heavy enough for tuning down to drop Bb) or you might not even need to. You'll for sure need to check your intonation (probably will need to adjust it) and you may need to adjust the truss rod too, but maybe not. Just check it.

7 strings (and 8 strings) are totally unnecessary unless you need to play really high up on the highest string for solos and stuff.

Err... no. 7s and 8s and whatnot are extended range instruments. You get the full range of a normal 6-string, plus the additional from however many strings you've added.

I've just joined a new band, and we've figured out maybe two songs so far. Already I've had to go as low as the low B, as well as (so far) the 19th on the high E string. This is just rhythm work; that 19th fret is a part of a chord. I'd go as far as to say in this band, I'll never play a single solo.

If I tune down my JP6 just a half step, the E string starts touching the frets. I tried once to tune down to C and it was like playing on cooked spaghetti, even though I used 0.12s. So I guess I'd have to adjust the guitar when downtuning, but I like it as it is for standard tuning and I can't go back and fourth.

asfjlksafjklsafjklfsajklfsajklfasjklfsajkljklfsajklfsajklfsajklfsa I wish I had more moniez...........

If I tune down my JP6 just a half step, the E string starts touching the frets. I tried once to tune down to C and it was like playing on cooked spaghetti, even though I used 0.12s. So I guess I'd have to adjust the guitar when downtuning, but I like it as it is for standard tuning and I can't go back and fourth.

asfjlksafjklsafjklfsajklfsajklfasjklfsajkljklfsajklfsajklfsajklfsa I wish I had more moniez...........

The neck has to be relieved when drop tuning that much. I ended up buying a guitar just to keep in Drop C for the few Petrucci songs I (try to) play. I have 12 gauge strings on it. Any thinner and the strings will flop.

For added frets there is Ibanex Xiphos 27 frets guitar (6-string). That may give you the additional frets while staying with 6 strings, if you can get over the X shape.

Some interesting replies on here. I've been playing 7 string guitars exclusively since about 2001 when I got my first (Ibanez RG7620) and yeah, it takes a couple weeks to get used to the extra low B string, but I've been playing 6 string songs on them with no problem the whole time. Just something you need to get used to. Funny thing is I actually just did a trade on one of my 7s for a 6 last week and have been playing on the 6 for the last week or so and I forgot how tiny a 6 neck feels! Haha! It hasn't made me any faster or anything like that but I will say in all honesty I feel like I'm able to play cleaner (solos, arpeggios, etc.) because I don't have to worry about keeping that low B muted with the meat of my right picking hand while soloing. Maybe it's in my head but I actually feel like my picking hand is a little more free now and not locked down and yes I think my playing is cleaner. It's starting to make me contemplate why I still need a 7, hahaha!

To the post about tuning down on the 6, absolutely you need to make adjustments when tuning down. For starters, D'addario has a very handy string tension guide on their website that you can use to figure out what gauge strings you should be using for what tuning. Then, you need to adjust your bridge so it is level and flush again, check the neck for relief, check intonation and possible adjust saddle height as well. You do all this and your guitar should be in good shape. I've done it a lot with my JPs and they're very easy guitars to make these adjustments on. Good luck!

-Eric

I really love my JP7. It took a couple of weeks or so getting used to it, but now it feels amazing. People forget that the 7th string adds more to the instrument than just the five extra notes - it also gives you the extended range anywhere on the fretboard (very noticeable when playing arpeggios etc.) But 7s are not for everyone. Just a matter of taste and preference. You live in Oslo, don't you? If you want to, you could come try it out sometime after I get home in mid-May.

Last edited:
Take the guitar to you local music shop and pay for the adjustment. Playing with the truss rod is not for every one. In the US it costs something like $30-$50 to do a checkup, adjustment and new strings. Guitars like Music man have the nice option of adjusting the truss rod without removing the strings. Leave it to the pros if you are not comfortable.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I really love my JP7. It took a couple of weeks or so getting used to it, but now it feels amazing. People forget that the 7th string adds more to the instrument than just the five extra notes - it also gives you the extended range anywhere on the fretboard (very noticeable when playing arpeggios etc.) But 7s are not for everyone. Just a matter of taste and preference. You live in Oslo, don't you? If you want to, you could come try it out sometime after I get home in mid-May.

Tusen takk for tilbudet! Jeg er fra Asker, men bor for tiden i Trondheim. Skal sannsynligvis hjem en liten tur mot slutten av sommern, så om jeg ikke har funnet ut av noe da kan det hende jeg tar kontakt ;)

I switched to seven string some years ago and haven't found any reason to go back. I've even played in a rock/grunge cover band with them - didn't find it any more difficult even though all of that material was written for standard six string. You can still do drop-d or whatever the song calls for, you just have more options over all. Like others here have said, once you get use to the little bit of extra width on the neck it's not really an issue.

As far as tuning down a six vs. using a seven (or eight), I haven't found it to be at all the same. The second guitarist in a band I was in for a while tried to go this route since he didn't own a seven. Even with heavier strings and the neck & intonation adjusted, it still just didn't sound as heavy as the real thing. I've actually got the six and seven string versions of the same guitar here, and I get the same results with those. I've seen it in recording bass as well - we needed to go out and rent a five string a while back for a studio session because we just couldn't get a full sound of a down-tuned four. If I had to guess, I'd say it partially has to do with the pickups, since they aren't made for the lower frequency range. Also, I think the extra weight & resonance probably has a bit to do with it. Just my $0.02, FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
It's actually impossible that a tuned down six couldn't produce exactly the same sound as a seven, provided you're using the same gauge string for your 6th that you would use for your 7th. If you think about it for a minute, how could the presence of one extra string that's tuned a couple octaves up (your 1st on a 7 string) change the sound of your lowest strings? Cause that's the only thing that's different in any way, provided you have the same gauges for the strings that are tuned to the same notes.

It's like saying if you bought a 5 string bass set and put the fattest four on your four string, that would somehow be different than if you put them on a 5 string and added that one extra higher string. Or if you only put the fattest six on your seven string, it would sound different than if you added in that highest string. Makes no sense.

Maybe what you were running into were issues with the nut slots being too small and the strings not sitting correctly in them? That's the only thing that's a potential pitfall. Other than that, same gauge strings plus same scale length... nothing to make them sound different.

Baritone scale lengths and heavier strings are the answer for tuning lower, not extra strings. I promise.

Just saw your edit- pickups could be part of the picture, if the ones in your six don't have similar or identical frequency response characteristics. But that's not about six vs seven, that's about apples and oranges pickups.

There's tons of other factors like if they have different fretboard woods, or aluminum, or how the pickups are positioned too, that's a big one on 22 fret vs 24 fret necks, for the neck pickup anyway, which is where the actual low end information is at.

The point is, with all other factors being equal, the presence of that one higher string doesn't have a noteworthy impact on the low ones

Back
Top Bottom