7-string metal brutality! Listen and download!!

I guess I don't have enough experience with compression....I just end up not using it.........but I don't hear it pumping. Sounds very tight, and not too frilly. I'd be interested in the patch.

I guess I don't have enough experience with compression....I just end up not using it.........but I don't hear it pumping. Sounds very tight, and not too frilly. I'd be interested in the patch.

No, you're absolutely right. It really isn't pumping. Just some parallel comp. on the drum bus and then a little squashing on the master. Nothing too intense. This believe this is the patch I used: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Carvin DC800 final v3 - by FrancescoFiligoi

I don't think there's a compression problem (although pumping isn't the only sign of a problem with compression settings, for the record). To me, it sounds like there's a couple things going on that I'd check out:

First, the stereo field seems really narrow. Are you double tracking (recording twice, not just copying and pasting) and placing the tracks at 100% left and right?

Second, it sounds kind of like there's too much space on the frequency spectrum between the "bottom" of the guitar and the "top" of the bass. I think the bass needs to be a bit more prominent.

First, the stereo field seems really narrow. Are you double tracking (recording twice, not just copying and pasting) and placing the tracks at 100% left and right?

Second, it sounds kind of like there's too much space on the frequency spectrum between the "bottom" of the guitar and the "top" of the bass. I think the bass needs to be a bit more prominent.

Yes sir. I know the difference between double tracking and copy and pasting. They are indeed panned 100% Left and 100% Right. How are your monitors spaced apart, by the way? What kind of monitors are they and how far are you sitting away from them? Have you compared this track to any other "reference tracks"? Are you listening with a sub woofer or no? If so, what kind? Really interested to hear more! :)

Yes sir. I know the difference between double tracking and copy and pasting. They are indeed panned 100% Left and 100% Right. How are your monitors spaced apart, by the way? What kind of monitors are they and how far are you sitting away from them? Have you compared this track to any other "reference tracks"? Are you listening with a sub woofer or no? If so, what kind? Really interested to hear more! :)

I'm with Ben on this one and i'm sat in a sound treated room with top of the range Adam and Focal SM9's

Hmmm. The bass is quite prominent over here on my PC 2.1 system. I could see reducing it a little, and adding some in the guitars. As it is right now, it reminds a little of Entombed's Wolverine Blues, albeit far better production (they need to re-master that one), particularly with one guitar being a little brighter than the other.

Maybe saying the bass needs to be more prominent was too obtuse. Let me clarify:

I don't mean that the bass needs to be louder overall. I mean that it sounds like there's a high cut on the bass and a low cut on the guitar, and those cuts are far enough apart that they're creating a bit of a frequency chasm. I think the bass frequencies need to be butting up against the guitar a bit more.

Matt, I wasn't trying to be insulting by asking about the double tracking; I was just confirming.

I've listened on my home theater system (with subwoofer), Audio Technica M50s, and my studio monitors (M-Audio Bx5As, nothing incredibly impressive) and my impressions were consistent across all 3.

With this being a short clip, the stereo element was less of an issue, as a huge stereo field isn't always essential. So, there may be a wider range in other parts, or this could simply be your taste for how the stereo field should sound. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

The gap between the guitar and bass is the bigger issue, in my opinion. When the bass is following the guitar like it is in this clip especially, the two need to almost (AAAAALLLLLMOOOST) sound like 1 instrument.

Ahhhh. It sounds like a good idea....but right now the guitars are so distinct. Be interesting to hear.

Maybe saying the bass needs to be more prominent was too obtuse. Let me clarify:

I don't mean that the bass needs to be louder overall. I mean that it sounds like there's a high cut on the bass and a low cut on the guitar, and those cuts are far enough apart that they're creating a bit of a frequency chasm. I think the bass frequencies need to be butting up against the guitar a bit more...The gap between the guitar and bass is the bigger issue, in my opinion. When the bass is following the guitar like it is in this clip especially, the two need to almost (AAAAALLLLLMOOOST) sound like 1 instrument.

Cool tones man!

To me it just sounds like it's over-limited to get volume. I'd back off a bit. You might have some sub lows eating up headroom too which is not allowing you to achieve the volume without compression artifacts. Having said that, you seem to be lacking in the low mids which is coming across as thin bass. Double-edged sword. HPF at about 30hz or so and add back in some 80-150hz and see what happens. Over-limiting will narrow the field, reduce depth and kill transient detail. All those seem to be going on here. It certainly brings the guitars forward in the mix tho (with the side effect of a "smaller" center image). :)

Back
Top Bottom