7-pin MIDI question

FullThrottle64

Inspired
Some of the MIDI controllers (Voes, RJM, FAMC, ???) use a 7-pin connection to get MIDI In, MIDI Out, and Power all into a single cable.

Is there a standard for these connections, or are they all different? It appears that the most common is to add the MIDI In signals to pins 1 (+) and 3 (-) and the power to pins 6 (+) and 7 (-) ....but it doesn't seem to be documented on any of their websites.

Anybody know if all of these use the same pinout?

If you are 7 pin on both ends all the pins will all be wired from pin to pin. if you are asking about a rocktron cable, I believe pins 1-5 are pin to pin and pins 6 and 7 are connected to a power plug.

If you are 7 pin on both ends all the pins will all be wired from pin to pin. if you are asking about a rocktron cable, I believe pins 1-5 are pin to pin and pins 6 and 7 are connected to a power plug.
I believe the question is whether or not the same pins are used for power or not.

There's not a standard for that as far as I'm aware. I seem to recall that Voodoo Lab Ground Control is unusual but I may be wrong. I think they use 5-pin... And they are not bi-directional.

OP - all of the devices you listed use "special" break-out boxes at the other end, I think, so as long as your midi cable is 7-pin with all pins wired it should work.

I believe the question is whether or not the same pins are used for power or not.

There's not a standard for that as far as I'm aware. I seem to recall that Voodoo Lab Ground Control is unusual but I may be wrong. I think they use 5-pin... And they are not bi-directional.

OP - all of the devices you listed use "special" break-out boxes at the other end, I think, so as long as your midi cable is 7-pin with all pins wired it should work.
The question is how ALL of the pins are wired for the 7-pin systems used by RJM, Voes, and Liquidfoot. These include MIDI In, MIDI Out, and power. Bi-Directional MIDI is required for these controllers to fully integrate with the Axe-FX III, and once you've done this, it seems rather silly to not go ahead and set it up for phantom power, as well.

The reason for the question is to sort out whether these systems are using the same pinouts, and could therefore use each other's approach.

Voes sells a combiner called the "M-Box". This would require an additional 3 MIDI cables - two 5-pin and one 7-pin.

FAMC (Liquidfoot) theoretically sells a phantom power box/combiner that does basically the same thing, but they are out of stock with no availability in sight.

RJM sells a power box/combiner similar to Voes.

BTPA sells a single cable solution that combines the two MIDI signals and the phantom power, designed for the RJM pinouts. One cable with multiple connectors, not three cables.

So, the real question is: Will the BTPA cable only work with RJM, or do Voes and/or Liquidfoot use the same pinouts for the second MIDI data and the power?

I've heard RJM is the Fractal of midi controllers. I'd suggest you contact them.

@voes can answer questions about his controllers.

I'd recommend steering clear of Liquid Foot based on support (or lack thereof) horror stories.

Some of the MIDI controllers (Voes, RJM, FAMC, ???) use a 7-pin connection to get MIDI In, MIDI Out, and Power all into a single cable.

Is there a standard for these connections, or are they all different? It appears that the most common is to add the MIDI In signals to pins 1 (+) and 3 (-) and the power to pins 6 (+) and 7 (-) ....but it doesn't seem to be documented on any of their websites.

Anybody know if all of these use the same pinout?

The 7-Pin Midi of the our products is connected:
pin 4-2-5 Midi Out (2 = gnd). This is the standard connection for Midi out
pin 1-3 Midi In
pin 6-7 Power In (since polarity does not matter in the MX, there is no particular positive and negative side)

The M-Box will work with all our Midi Controllers.

As far as I know, the M-Box is compatible with Liquid Foot controllers, since they use the same layout.
I don't know about the RJM 7-pin Midi layout, but if they are the same, then the M-Box will also work with RJM.

vbox-06-tmb.jpgvbox-04-tmb.jpg

More info on voes.be

I'd recommend steering clear of Liquid Foot based on support (or lack thereof) horror stories.
FAMC effectively is unsupported, as near as I can tell. However, their products appear to work well, the software supports AFX III, and they are available on the used market for a lot less than other options.

FAMC effectively is unsupported, as near as I can tell. However, their products appear to work well, the software supports AFX III, and they are available on the used market for a lot less than other options.
That's what I've heard as well... However, a complex tool with no support could be a real headache.

Only you can decide if you want to make that choice. But at least you're aware before doing so ;)

That's what I've heard as well... However, a complex tool with no support could be a real headache.

Only you can decide if you want to make that choice. But at least you're aware before doing so ;)
Indeed. I have been working with a used Liquidfoot for the past couple of nights' shows, and so far it seems to work fine. The only thing I have run into is what appears to be a flaky debounce on one button (doesn't matter in performance, but makes editing twitchy). I'm using it with my legacy rig, though, which is fairly simple. When the AxeFX III gets here (just ordered), I'll see if it really does handle the support well. It was inexpensive enough that I can use it until it has problems I won't tolerate, then get a new Voes or RJM. If gigs keep materializing for this year, that may be sooner rather than later.

To wind out the thread, I got a response from Best-Tronics about the cables that they build, and it appears that they all use basically the same pinouts for the 7-pin connection. HOWEVER - the power pins appear to be reversed on the RJM from the Voes & FAMC. That's not a problem if the controller is AC-tolerant; if not, it could be an expensive oversight.

IHOWEVER - the power pins appear to be reversed on the RJM from the Voes & FAMC. That's not a problem if the controller is AC-tolerant; if not, it could be an expensive oversight.

Our controllers accept AC and DC. Polarity does not matter. A rectifier is used to set things right.

I have the FAMC Liquid Foot+ (LF+) 12+, Pro+ and Phantom Power Box and the RJM Mastermind GT22 (MMGT22) and Phantom Power Adapter.

Following this Pinout:
Pinout_7_Pin_DIN_Female_Jack.png

The FAMC Phantom Power Box Pin 6 = Power Tip and Pin 7 = Power Sleeve/Ring
The RJM Phantom Power Adapter Pin 6 = Power Sleeve/Ring and Pin 7 = Power Tip

The power adapters for both are 12VDC with -(Negative) Sleeve/Ring 5.5mm, +(Positive) Tip 2.1mm.

The RJM power adapter is 3A and I use it with my FAMC LF+ because the FAMC LF+1A power adapter couldn't supply enough power when using a 15ft 7pin MIDI cable. Before getting the RJM power adapter, a 2A power adapter was enough to power my 12+ and PRO+ together in Expander mode with a 15ft 7pin MIDI cable.

I confirm that the M-BOX works with the RJM stuff as well. Really useful little device :) I use two very short 5-PIN cables and one custom 7-PIN to the RJM Mastermind.
Works like a charm and takes so little space.

I confirm that the M-BOX works with the RJM stuff as well. Really useful little device :) I use two very short 5-PIN cables and one custom 7-PIN to the RJM Mastermind.
Works like a charm and takes so little space.
Yes, it appears that they all are basically the same except for the power polarity.
I got the RJM cable from Best-Tronics yesterday; it powered the LiquidFoot right up with no issues, all functions working.

Back
Top Bottom