7.18 changes the game again.

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
I'm really digging 7.18. Once again I feel like I'm starting over.
I had a geq or peq before my compressors and amps in every patch I was using. I was pulling out a bunch of low end stuff before the amps. Now the amps sound so much more alive and 3 dimensional that I've axed (pun intended) almost all of the eq's in my patches and am using the amp controls to get where I want to go.

It's a huge difference. The full tone of my guitar is getting to the amp block for it to do it's mojo with.
I'm starting to use amps and speaker cabs that just didn't interest me in earlier versions. I could never understand the plexi. It always just sounded shrill and thin and harsh to me. I just wrote it up to me never being a marshall guy. Now I'm starting to dig it. I've got my first crunch plexi patch. It sounds great in the mix and is very sensitive to the guitar volume.

I can't stress how important it is to keep an open mind with the axe. It never ceases to amaze me as long as I don't approach it with pre-conceived ideas. I'm finding out that most of my techniques to get a sound that I like are pretty specific to the version of software that I'm running at the time. With 7.18 I'm chucking all my old notions and just using my ears. Like the old Journey song says "I get the joy of rediscovering you".

I've got a couple of more days in the studio then I get to use it live on Wednesday. Can't wait.

Thanks for your constant improvements to an already amazing product Cliff!

Add me to the list of laziness. I'm gutting a house and trying to get ready to move. I need to update my firmware and try this out. Frustrating. I miss my guitars and AXE FX. :|

I noticed a big difference also.

Did the update to 7.18, quickly checked all my patches for "show stpoppers" before my gig on Sat, and they were ok.

But at gig volumes they were stunning. My classic rock sound based on a JCM 800 model was so much punchier than it was before, with no changes. Although I was stood in front of my Bose L1- I could have sworn there was a valve power stage and a full stack behind me.

- fantastic.

I'm in the same boat... last night before I recorded a track I was messing around with the JCM800 and it sounded stunning! Absolutely loved it!

A good hint. Thank you!
I've already had my list of awesome and awefull amps too.
But if it's worth a try, then I audition the whole list again.
That will be fun!

How did you get startet with the new depth, presence and air?
Did you start with factory settings for the whole ampsim or
did you only check out the new functions?

Bernd

666was999 said:
A good hint. Thank you!
That will be fun!

Bernd
Let me chime in here... I started by setting each amp to it's default values and going from there... I haven't even changed anything in any of the advanced pages in the three or four amps that I've tried... it's been that good.

mortega76 said:
666was999 said:
A good hint. Thank you!
That will be fun!

Bernd
Let me chime in here... I started by setting each amp to it's default values and going from there... I haven't even changed anything in any of the advanced pages in the three or four amps that I've tried... it's been that good.

I´ll give you my experiences so far - I didn´t have time to do more than check that nothing sounded funny on the presets I needed for a show were I subbed for a friend in his band. It was ALL good and most of the presets were arguably better sounding than when I dialed them in on 7.16. I can´t wait to get tweaking the presets on this FW 7.18 - awesome, just awesome sounding FW that ups the game more than a little.

Back
Top Bottom